Taking my assistant on a working vacation

2dogs4cats

As the OP, I didn't mention that I am female. This cruise is a bit of a holiday bonus for my assistant. My business consists of just the 2 of us, and neither of us have an issue sharing a cabin.

My daughter also does a bit of graphics and writing work for me, so she can come along as part of the business trip. The cruise is a 5-nighter on Carnival and leaving my son at home, alone during the day, he'd go crazy. So, he's coming along, too.

I'll talk with the TA and see what can be worked out so that our cabin has room for 3 people. It seems that is the only sticky point.

Would like to add, that IF I were a male, I'd be VERRRRY hesitant about inviting a married female assistant on something like this, with or without my kids.

Well, first of all, I would like to say what a nice bonus to give your assistant.

Second of all, I am delighted you are of the feminine gender. So many here assumed (you know what happens when you assume) that you were male.

Delighted to see that the generalizations were wrong and more importantly that a woman is in charge.

I love your planning and what you are doing.

Have a fabulous cruise:)

I was just thinking a queen/king bed and the sofa bed. No more work for the steward at all.

you wont be able to get a sofa bed in a ordinary twin room unless you paid for a higher category like a mini suite or something similar....get your TA to book a quad room and one of the kids can sleep on the top bunk

bolding, red, italcizing mine

Nowhere does the OP indicate that the assistant is expected to actually share. The OP says the possible plan is that one child will be booked as the assistant's cabin mate BUT the child will join the OP and the other child in the cabin in which THEY are booked.

Also, I don't see where the OP indicates their own gender, so to either presume male or female OP has no basis, that I can see.

I was wondering about the assumption that many were making so glad the OP came along and set everyone straight. I have worked for women who either owned or co-owned the company or were the general manager of the location.

The OP needs to explain this all to her TA to make sure the proper type of cabins are booked (including one with enough berths). And whenever kids (even teens) are being placed in a separate cabin, it needs to be emphasized to the cruise line that there can't be any upgrading (moving) of either party.

I was also one of the posters who jumped to the conclusion that the OP was man - and I have no idea why. I worked in the business world for so many years, and I WAS a boss for almost half the time. Weird how we sometimes have outdated ideas even when we should know better.:o It's really nice of the OP to take her assistant, and to be so considerate in making sure she has her own space.

My daughter also does a bit of graphics and writing work for me, so she can come along as part of the business trip. The cruise is a 5-nighter on Carnival and leaving my son at home, alone during the day, he'd go crazy. So, he's coming along, too.

Two points I'd like to make.

1. I applaud your tax strategy.;)

2. Not only would your son go crazy, you might no have much of a house left if he stayed at home.:eek: I'm a survivor of three teenage boys who at various times were left behind while we were away. Let's just say that throughout those teenage years I became fairly good at dry-walling, window replacement, fence repair etc, etc.:( But so did the boys.:D:D

Make sure that you are "up front" with your assistant, so that she knows from the start that you do not intend for your child to actually sleep in the room with her.

Also make sure that the room you book for yourself will have an extra bed for your second child.

Aye, Aye, Ma'am/Sir. Saluting and Standing at attention!!! :D !!!

Are you by chance a prison guard, law enforcement or military officer or other such? Wow......

Maybe the Assistant has no interest in sharing a room with any of the family. We don't know (or care) what the relationship is but not everyone is okay about sharing sleeping/bathroom accommodations with other than their own family. This may not be an issue for you but it is for some.

Sail, I'm puzzled as to why you chose to quote my post (which I have repeated above). It has absolutely nothing to do with your answer, which I found rather odd.

I made what I considered to be a sensible and helpful suggestion, which has nothing to do with whether or not I am a "prison guard, law enforcement or military officer or other such".

The OP has never suggested that his assistant would be required to share a room with his/her kids.

• 3 months later...

I'm the OP of this question and wanted to let you know how everything went down.

It turned out that our two cabins were right next to each other on the 8th deck. As soon as we arrived, I asked our steward if we could get a third bed in our room, and he was fine with that. My assistant had her cabin all to herself, and my two kids and I were a little cramped, but had a great time anyway.

The steward was just excellent and very accommodating. All my worries were for naught! :)

I'm the OP of this question and wanted to let you know how everything went down.

It turned out that our two cabins were right next to each other on the 8th deck. As soon as we arrived, I asked our steward if we could get a third bed in our room, and he was fine with that. My assistant had her cabin all to herself, and my two kids and I were a little cramped, but had a great time anyway.

The steward was just excellent and very accommodating. All my worries were for naught! :)

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how every thing turned out.

.......taking your assistant with your kids?........sounds creepy to me if not a set up for harassment or black mail in the future.....I wonder how much of a raise was needed to "keep things quiet"?.:eek:........never mix business with pleasure........:cool:

.......taking your assistant with your kids?........sounds creepy to me if not a set up for harassment or black mail in the future.....I wonder how much of a raise was needed to "keep things quiet"?.:eek:........never mix business with pleasure........:cool:

Did you actually read the entire thread?? If so you would know that a) the assistant had her own cabin as the OP had their children stay in the cabin with them; and b) the cruise is already over.

I'll also be taking my 2 teenage kids (boy, 13, and girl, 15).

My dilemma is what to do with the staterooms. My kids are too young to be assigned a room by themselves

Is my assumption correct that my kids are too young to share a room that doesn't join mine?

I'd feel perfectly fine having a 13 and 15 year old sleeping in a room that is not adjacent. I think you should just ask them for their opinion. They'll probably tell you that they have been sleeping in their own bedrooms for ages with no problems, and that a cruise ship is not a bad neighborhood. I guess the Front Office has a way to make their card open your door as well.

Did you actually read the entire thread?? If so you would know that a) the assistant had her own cabin as the OP had their children stay in the cabin with them; and b) the cruise is already over.

I did ......... Vacation is vacation and a business trip is a business trip.....never the two shall meet..........poor kids had to be cheated out of the attention and the assistant put in an awkward situation......I wonder how the accountant split THAT cost(s) for the IRS?.......now did you have the room service sonny or my assistant?.........:eek:

Thanks for letting us know how it worked out. Glad it was good :D

I did ......... Vacation is vacation and a business trip is a business trip.....never the two shall meet..........poor kids had to be cheated out of the attention and the assistant put in an awkward situation......I wonder how the accountant split THAT cost(s) for the IRS?.......now did you have the room service sonny or my assistant?.........:eek:

And WHY was the assistant put in an awkward position?

You couldn't possibly have read the entire thread or you wouldn't have posted such ridiculous things. But then, maybe you still would have.:rolleyes:

Edited by iheartbda

Evidently did NOT read the entire thread or has some other problem understanding what has been posted.

Edited by swedish weave

We agree on something.:):):)

And WHY was the assistant put in an awkward position?

You couldn't possibly have read the entire thread or you wouldn't have posted such ridiculous things. But then, maybe you still would have.:rolleyes:

Evidently did NOT read the entire thread or has some other problem understanding what has been posted.