Am I totally out of luck?

Anashoo

So, I've been on one cruise, but it was years ago for a honeymoon. We now have 3 kids, 2, 7, and 10. My dh is on deployment and left me to plan the trip for his return. We really, really want to do a cruise (and everyone has a passport!). Problem is, his leave period is over the 4th of July. Plus the aforementioned three kids. And a budget of about 5k. I've spent some serious time searching cruise sites, but I feel really lost. Is this even sort of possible? We don't care much about destination as long as it's outside the US, and the departure port can be pretty much anywhere along the East Coast as we live in the middle and will drive to save some money.

Tips? Hints? Can you even fit three kids in a room? I really want to make this work, but I'm really discouraged...

I cant do a lot of suggestions or alternatives, but at least check NCL. They have two cruise ships out of NY. I know the Breakaway has family cabins that will hold 5 people. The Gem might also.

The also give a small military discount.

Good luck and thank you to your husband for making it possible for me to cruise and enjoy the other freedoms that I do.

We thank your DH (and the family) for their service. And this is truly a thanks from a vet. But you are talking about the prime summer vacation season when there are few bargains in any kind of travel. And to make the situation even worse, the cruise industry relocated most of their ships to Europe or Alaska in the busy summer season. Perhaps you can get lucky and catch some kind of military discount on a cruise to Bermuda (or one of the few cruises in the Caribbean) but we would not hold out a lot of hope.

Hank

So, I've been on one cruise, but it was years ago for a honeymoon. We now have 3 kids, 2, 7, and 10. My dh is on deployment and left me to plan the trip for his return. We really, really want to do a cruise (and everyone has a passport!). Problem is, his leave period is over the 4th of July. Plus the aforementioned three kids. And a budget of about 5k. I've spent some serious time searching cruise sites, but I feel really lost. Is this even sort of possible? We don't care much about destination as long as it's outside the US, and the departure port can be pretty much anywhere along the East Coast as we live in the middle and will drive to save some money.

Tips? Hints? Can you even fit three kids in a room? I really want to make this work, but I'm really discouraged...

The least expensive cruises would be Carnival and NCL.

I found something interesting. Carnival Paradise out of Tampa. Five nights. one day at sea, Grand Cayman (swim at the beach or swim with the turtles), Cozumel (swim at the beach or swim with seal, dolphin or manatee), day at sea.

Interior prices $390/person (< $2,000 for five). Ocean View prices $427/person (< than $2,150 for five).

I can at least suggest one thing searching quickly with a 7 day from New Orleans on Carnival Dream. Ocean View for 5 for $3991 leaving July 5th. If you are looking for a 7 day.

I am making a few assumptions here. First is that you would want it for this July 4th week. Also not sure if you are looking for the week before or after. Also not sure if the $5,000 is for just the cruise fare, or well for everything including travel & excursions & tips & drinks & ect.

Also don't know exactly where you are traveling from, but I suggest this one because well, I know for me at least traveling to New Orleans if just a few hours more than Florida departures.

NCL doesn't seem to have anything but Suites open for 5 in July which is going to be a money problem.

Good luck finding a good choice for you all and thank you, your husband and your children for your service! My youngest DS aspires to military service and I applaud all of our service men & women and families!

Thank you for all the kind thoughts! And ideas. I will focus on those. Unfortunately, as active duty, we never have the luxury of planning ahead or picking the ideal times. He's scheduled to be back out at sea this fall, and I have no clue when this chance will come again. On the bright side, there is never a dull moment!

Edited by Anashoo

Just saw the last reply: the 5k is just for the cruise itself. We will have another budget for extras. We are coming from VA, and have family in NE we could stay with, as well as friends in Orlando. So, we should be able to avoid airfare if we find something East Coast. We can leave from about June 29 onward, and have a couple weeks to work with. The 4th is in the middle, which is what most worried me with cost, etc.

With a family of 5, you may have a tough time finding cabins on NCL for that many. We ran into this when we booked our last cruise. We were going to have to stick with Carnival (in a standard 185 sq ft cabin) with a king bed, 2 pullmans, and a pack & play for the 2 year old. That was going to be a tight fit no matter what.

Our other option was to book Royal Caribbean, as their Freedom class ships (not sure about other classes of ships), have Family cabins that can very comfortably sleep up to 6. The room is larger than a Junior Suite, actually almost 325 sq ft. Ours had a king bed, a smaller room with two bunks, a very large seating area with a double sleeper sofa, a larger bathroom with a tub, a walk in closet, and otherwise PLENTY of storage (we didn't use 1/3 of the storage room in the cabin). They are available as insides, Promenade view (which is what we had - also had two nice sized interior windows with seating areas), and ocean view cabins.

Just thought I'd throw that option out there too, as the extra space was greatly appreciated. We had 5 in our cabin for 7 days and paid about $2800 (not including gratuities, spending money, etc) You can do a search on YouTube for these cabins and will find several videos. I will eventually post some pics (hopefully this weekend if I can get my review done).

I did a quick search for you. You can do just about any 3-5 day on Carnival in either 2 insides, 1 or 2 ocean views, or one of each. Since it is getting so close, you would be hard pressed to find connecting rooms, but may be possible. (You would have to put one adult in each room, but can switch room cards onboard at guest services to sleep in same cabin. If you did one ocean view, you would need a trundle which would make it crowded when the bed is set up, but doable. The prices would still leave you with plenty of money for drinks, excursions, etc.

Suites would price you right up to $5000, leaving no money for spending. NCL rooms that would normally work for you are sold out.

Go on Carnival.com, press "plan," press "find a cruise," punch in your parameters of 5 guests, Jun- July sailings, military, and see which date, ship, and itinerary works for you.

Example- Carnival Elation July 6, 5 night. One ocean view on deck 5, one inside, kitty corner, total $3000 incl. taxes and fees, (not incl. gratuities- $11.50 pp/pd, I believe.)

You may have to call to see if any sailings have any connecting rooms left, but that would be your best option. Good luck!

Edited after seeing your post. $5000 for just the cruise really opens up your options, up to 7 day cruises. Even a suite on NCL, and they have good promos right now. Keep looking, and you should be able to find the perfect trip!

Edited by minnesotamamafish

Children under 9 (or maybe it's 11) sail free on MSC.

The Divina sails out of Miami.

Have not checked for cabins that hold 5 however.

If none, then you would have to do 2 cabins and only 1 of your children could get the free deal (they must be a 3rd or 4th passenger). Booking 2 interiors may keep you under the 5 grand budget.

Edit: sorry just re-read and saw you can only cruise in July. MSC moves their ship to the Med at this time.

Edited by Lerin

One question (more a confirmation) of the leave time- is it for the week of the 4th? So June 29-July3 for the week?

The reason I ask- if there's room after the week- we've always noticed that the first week after a holiday is quite cheap.

So if he has time the week after the 4th- perahaps leaving the 5th for a week or the 6th for a shorter cruise may work better?

I'm not in the military, but our week "off" is the June29-July3 week.

You really need to talk to a travel agent that specializes in cruises -- in person -- not over the phone.

My son asked me a few days ago, where there was a physical travel agency near us and I told him that I have no idea. I know where several used to be before they closed.

When is the earliest you can cruise? The Independence of the Seas has a cruise leaving from Ft. Lauderdale on June 21 with stops in San Juan, St. Maarten & (I believe) St. Thomas. I only visit Cruise Critic when we have a cruise coming up, so I'm not familiar with the rules about recommending companies - but we have used one certain company for years and have never been disappointed. They are showing a good selection of cruises for your time and your budget. Unfortunately there are no "private messages" on this site...I could send you the list. We're booked on Celebrity Summit out of Bayonne for a 7 night cruise to Bermuda on June 14 - don't know if that interests you, but there is still availability within your budget.

Edited by Winnigirl

$5K is doable, IF you are okay with lesser cabins.. best bet is to look at a Balcony for the adults and an inside(across the hall or connecting) for the kids. or maybe two connecting Promenade view cabins on Royal.

some lines do make larger family staterooms (inside or ocean view) as well.

Stick with Royal and Carnival.. both are good 'starter' cruise lines with great kids programming and plenty for the adults to do as well.

it i possible get a Military discount on some cabins or trips as well.

Do not discount Baltimore as a departure port. the ships that sail out of there are smaller, BUT still have plenty to offer.

that being said, get a goo travel agent who specializes in cruises.

Thank you for all the kind thoughts! And ideas. I will focus on those. Unfortunately, as active duty, we never have the luxury of planning ahead or picking the ideal times. He's scheduled to be back out at sea this fall, and I have no clue when this chance will come again. On the bright side, there is never a dull moment!

I hear you. mine is haze grey at the moment. due back this fall. did you get funny looks when you mentioned a sailor going on a cruise?! heheheh

we are quick to point out the two major pros: booze on board and no standing at as oh dark thirty.

if you are in Norfolk, again I suggest looking at what Baltimore offers. the Bermuda cruise on either ship that sails out of there is pretty nice with an overnite on the island.

I'd love to talk to a travel agent, but can't find any near me.

Call the cruise lines direct. They have staff to help you plan.

Carnival does pretty good discounts for Military. I can't speak for NCL.

Carnival and NCL cruise out of Baltimore.

I hear you. mine is haze grey at the moment. due back this fall. did you get funny looks when you mentioned a sailor going on a cruise?! heheheh

we are quick to point out the two major pros: booze on board and no standing at as oh dark thirty.

if you are in Norfolk, again I suggest looking at what Baltimore offers. the Bermuda cruise on either ship that sails out of there is pretty nice with an overnite on the island.

I will take a look! Mine is a submariner, so his "cruises" involve 18 hour days, low oxygen, and no view, lol. Plus a decided lack of entertainment. I do see the irony, though.

To an earlier poster: June 28 is about the earliest we can do, based on leave dates and our son's summer camp. I will look after the 4th, though. We have about a week after that I can consider. I do wish ppl could share travel agent recommendations. I hate googling and hoping for the best...

Call the cruise lines direct. They have staff to help you plan.

Carnival does pretty good discounts for Military. I can't speak for NCL.

Carnival and NCL cruise out of Baltimore.

Royal cruises out of Baltimore. Currently it is the Grandeur.

see what ITT has. sometimes one of them is a certified TA

Hadn't even thought of that. Didn't think they dealt with cruises, but, then again, you can find all kinds of stuff there.