Eclipse 1A Hump or Concierge GTY

Want2Cruise 701

We currently have a 1A hump. First off the straight. Our sailing has a Concierge GTY for less. Not much about $200. But, we would get extra points for being in CC. Its a 10 night sailing too.

I do love large balconies that's why I booked it to begin with. I am wondering how much I am going to love it without lounge chairs or even a footstool.

What to do?

Our reference is always the "hump" cabin. We like the extra balcony room. We are on Equinox in January and had to accept a concierge. Not happy but it will work for us also.

Personally, I would stick with the 1A. Not many "perks" in Concierge any more.

Pat C

We currently have a 1A hump. First off the straight. Our sailing has a Concierge GTY for less. Not much about $200. But, we would get extra points for being in CC. Its a 10 night sailing too.

I do love large balconies that's why I booked it to begin with. I am wondering how much I am going to love it without lounge chairs or even a footstool.

What to do?

Not familiar with GTY? If it's a hump in concierge I would take it. For me the best perk is priority boarding (standing in line is difficult for me) and MDR lunch ....If it's not on the hump, I would want to know exactly where concierge cabin is located. If you're not familiar with the Eclipse AND you have any difficulty walking long distances, you should be aware that there are only 2 elevator banks: mid-ship and forward. So any cabin that's located near the stern has a very long walk to the nearest elevator.

It's a hard choice!!

Edited by Hydrokitty

A GTY is a Guarantee. They will pick my cabin which would probably be a C3 with a regular balcony. If I lucked out for a C2 then I could probably switch to a hump C2. There are some open.

It's just I would save money plus get 20 more Captains Club points. This would get us to Elite faster since we are almost there.

A GTY is a Guarantee. They will pick my cabin which would probably be a C3 with a regular balcony. If I lucked out for a C2 then I could probably switch to a hump C2. There are some open.

It's just I would save money plus get 20 more Captains Club points. This would get us to Elite faster since we are almost there.

I hear you..those points add up... It's a dilemma..the hump cabins are usually first ones to go, next to the aft ones that look over the wake (my personal fav, but never again on Eclipse or Equinox). I'm sitting here wondering what I would do in your shoes....I just don't know! :confused: Would the 20 points put you over the "hump" to Elite? If so, I think I'd take it....how far away is your sail date? What I'm thinking is they have someone else who wants your hump cabin and if they can get you to change it solves their problem.

I would go for the extra points. Who knows you just might get a really great location.

Hydrokitty you said "never again on Eclipse or Equinox" referring to the aft cabins. Why? We will be sailing with aft cabins on both of this ships next year and the following. Is there something I don't know? Also, I am assuming you are referring to the sunset view aft cabins.

A couple other considerations. The CC cabins are on the higher, somewhat quieter decks, which some prefer. Also, with a CC GTY, who knows...you might get bumped to Aqua. Which category CC is the GTY based on? You will get that category or higher. So, if it's a C2 GTY (they sell out first because of the Captains Club free bump from C3 to C2), you may snag a C1 aft cabin as well. I'd go for it. Nothing to lose, really, and you get the extra points, lunch on embarkation, some other perks, and you save money for a couple of specialty dinners

Nothing to lose, really, and you get the extra points, lunch on embarkation, some other perks, and you save money for a couple of specialty dinners

Respectfully, I disagree that there's "nothing to lose." The OP has hand-picked a very desirable cabin on the slant of the hump, with the largest balcony. And it's in a great location next to the elevators, a big plus on the S-class ships imho.

We carefully pick our cabin locations, so we don't book GTY.

I think only the OP can decide how much it's worth to her to have the extra points as well as save $200 v. giving up a great cabin for the crapshoot of not knowing where she'll be (and very unlikely on the hump, and possibly under something noisy and/or really far from an elevator).

True. The handpicked slant cabin is a good, sure thing. Also, I may have misspoken about the GTY process in my above post. I assumed that the GTY was for the specific category (eg: C2, 2A), and that you were guaranteed a cabin in that specific category or above. In looking closer, it appears that the GTY is only for the class of cabin (eg: balcony, concierge), so that if you get a concierge GTY at a C2 price, all you're really getting is a guaranteed concierge cabin, or higher, but it could end up as C3, a lower category within the same class. Can anyone clarify?

I would stick with the 1A. You are centrally located in the ship so easy to get around. You also have the larger balcony. Concierge perks I don't find to be that special. You get lunch in the MDR on boarding day and priority boarding as well as a few other things. I would do it for an Aquaclass just to get Blu and I would give up the hump for that but some Aquaclass are under noisy areas by the pool and Lido cafe.

I would go for the extra points. Who knows you just might get a really great location.

Hydrokitty you said "never again on Eclipse or Equinox" referring to the aft cabins. Why? We will be sailing with aft cabins on both of this ships next year and the following. Is there something I don't know? Also, I am assuming you are referring to the sunset view aft cabins.

Renee, we were in a sunset view aft cabin on Eclipse and the cabin was wonderful. The reason I said that is that I have difficulty walking long distances and the Eclipse only has 2 elevator banks: one forward (by the theater) and the other mid-ship. That meant that every time I wanted to leave my cabin I had to walk 1/2 the length of the ship just to get to the elevator, which was very difficult for me. Other than that the ships are beautiful, I loved the aft cabin and if walking is not an issue for you, you will too. :D

What to do?

I go for the 1A every time on S class ships. Love the location close to the elevators and LOVE the large balconies. I don't know what lounge chairs you think you will be missing in the 1A. Exactly the same chairs as are in the CC cabin. Only thing missing is the footstools. The lifejackets under the beds work fine for footstools. Balcony is well worth the extra $200. Points are a different issue. I'm long past the time where they make a difference since I'm in that vast wasteland between Elite+ and Zenith.

I go for the 1A every time on S class ships. Love the location close to the elevators and LOVE the large balconies. I don't know what lounge chairs you think you will be missing in the 1A. Exactly the same chairs as are in the CC cabin. Only thing missing is the footstools. The lifejackets under the beds work fine for footstools. Balcony is well worth the extra $200. Points are a different issue. I'm long past the time where they make a difference since I'm in that vast wasteland between Elite+ and Zenith.

I'm on the Summit next time and have an Aft cabin....I just love the balcony and footstools are nice but I just use the railing. :D I love that I can be in the sun and DH in the shade!

Renee, we were in a sunset view aft cabin on Eclipse and the cabin was wonderful. The reason I said that is that I have difficulty walking long distances and the Eclipse only has 2 elevator banks: one forward (by the theater) and the other mid-ship. That meant that every time I wanted to leave my cabin I had to walk 1/2 the length of the ship just to get to the elevator, which was very difficult for me. Other than that the ships are beautiful, I loved the aft cabin and if walking is not an issue for you, you will too. :D

Thanks for the info.

Just to say that I avoid the aft sunset cabins now having had two cruises marred by sooty deposits on the balcony from the ship's funnels. They did come and clean the balconies down a couple of times (but not enough) and I now always go for a hump Concierge cabin instead. Celebrity said that the soot was a hazard of those cabins depending on the strength and direction of the wind.

Edited by sammysgranny

Just to say that I avoid the aft sunset cabins now having had two cruises marred by sooty deposits on the balcony from the ship's funnels. They did come and clean the balconies down a couple of times (but not enough) and I now always go for a hump Concierge cabin instead. Celebrity said that the soot was a hazard of those cabins depending on the strength and direction of the wind.

We had no problem with soot on last cruise and I'll post if there's a problem with next one (next week).

We cruise often on the Eclipse and always have a 1A regardless of other offers etc.

The large balcony makes the cabin 'feel' more spacious as well as giving shade from the sun when necessary. The convenience of being so near the elevator is priceless.

When 'concierge' first began we enjoyed all the little extra luxuries. Gone now!!

Even the boarding lunch would be wasted on us as we wouldn't arrive onboard in time to take advantage.

If you 'need' the points, definitely go for it. We too are in the wilderness between elite+ and zenith so don't bother with points.

I'm on the Summit next time and have an Aft cabin....I just love the balcony and footstools are nice but I just use the railing. :D I love that I can be in the sun and DH in the shade!

That's M class, totally different ball game to S class afts - the size of the balconies for one thing ;). If the OP isn't that desperate for CC points, I'd stick with the 1A and know what I'm getting.

That's M class, totally different ball game to S class afts - the size of the balconies for one thing ;).

If the OP isn't that desperate for CC points, I'd stick with the 1A and know what I'm getting.

Yes and I understand M class aft balcony is bigger than S class. We had an aft in S class(Eclipse) that was very nice but since the nearest elevator was mid-ship, the walk was a killer every time I wanted to leave or return to my cabin. I have walking issues and that's why my next S class cruise will be in a hump cabin.....but I'll continue with the aft cabin on M class! :D

That's what's so hard about her dilemma....I think I'd go with the points but I'm really nervous about letting someone else pick my cabin out of the ones "left over"....good points on both sides.

Edited by Hydrokitty

I am the original poster and we decided to stay. The large balcony means the most to us.

Anyone know if we brought small foldable chaise lounges (ones that fold into a small square) and put a luggage tag on them if they would be delivered to the cabin.

We've been spoiled on the MClass aft balconies. We've always had a lounger and then when they went with the reclining chairs and footstools I was always able to get the room steward to swap them for a lounger with no problem.

I am the original poster and we decided to stay. The large balcony means the most to us.

Anyone know if we brought small foldable chaise lounges (ones that fold into a small square) and put a luggage tag on them if they would be delivered to the cabin.

We've been spoiled on the MClass aft balconies. We've always had a lounger and then when they went with the reclining chairs and footstools I was always able to get the room steward to swap them for a lounger with no problem.

Don't know about small foldable lounges...never seen them. Thanks for the tip about asking steward to swap chair for lounger...I never thought of that!

Yes and I understand M class aft balcony is bigger than S class. We had an aft in S class(Eclipse) that was very nice but since the nearest elevator was mid-ship, the walk was a killer every time I wanted to leave or return to my cabin. I have walking issues and that's why my next S class cruise will be in a hump cabin.....but I'll continue with the aft cabin on M class! :D

That's what's so hard about her dilemma....I think I'd go with the points but I'm really nervous about letting someone else pick my cabin out of the ones "left over"....good points on both sides.

You will not be disappointed with the balcony on the M class. In fact, you'd probably have wished they were the same on S class and that long walk would have been something to definitely look forward to :D.