Kids i HAVEN

met195

Hi there.

Oh my .. i just read a lot of the topics about Haven and having kids in haven .

We are traveling with 4 kids of ages from 15 to 3 years old .. I do feel a little worried that many of you think its a shame that people bring children into Haven area. Not all kids are brought up nice..i know , and i know that some parents really dont say anything to get there kids to behave. But i know how our kids are and mostly they behave ( BUT THEY ARE HUMAN AND MISTAKES HAPPENS)mine dont have toys in the pools or hot tubs on a ship because they know there are other guests (and i think it belongs on beaches or your own private pool at home ;-) That said ..Haven is for everyone and lucky for all kids there are places they can go and have lots of fun if they wish. And i think theres a place for adults only, if you think children are makeing to much noise, vipe or spice H2O. Just a little tired of reading that some people dont think kids should be able to have the same joy on Haven because you think Haven only is for people who dont travel with kids. We all pay lots of money and should respect each-other and be able to enjoy the time we have there . Take care :)

Hi there.

We are traveling with 4 kids of ages from 15 to 3 years old .. I do feel a little worried that many of you think its a shame that people bring children into Haven area. Not all kids are brought up nice..i know , and i know that some parents really dont say anything to get there kids to behave. But i know how our kids are and mostly they behave ( BUT THEY ARE HUMAN AND MISTAKES HAPPENS)mine dont have toys in the pools or hot tubs on a ship because they know there are other guests (and i think it belongs on beaches or your own private pool at home ;-) That said ..Haven is for everyone and lucky for all kids there are places they can go and have lots of fun if they wish. And i think theres a place for adults only, if you think children are makeing to much noise, vipe or spice H2O. Just a little tired of reading that some people dont think kids should be able to have the same joy on Haven because you think Haven only is for people who dont travel with kids. We all pay lots of money and should respect each-other and be able to enjoy the time we have there . Take care :)

Kids who can behave is not a problem!

I agree with you - as long as the parents take responsibility and discipline when needed. Last year we took our 3 (6.4 & 2 - stayed in the Haven) and they were well behaved because they are well behaved kids and they know that rules apply no matter where we are. We are also doing the Breakaway to Bermuda again next spring with them in the Haven. Yes, it makes me angry at the parents who are oblivious or are just pretending to be oblivious so they don't have to discipline their kids because they are too lazy (which is at the expense of others around them).

I can only speak for myself as to why I would want some area to be child free on a cruise. I like kids a lot - I've taught for 30 years. But sometimes a person just needs a break from yelling, squealing, jumping, running. I live with and take care of my elderly parents who are both deaf and 24/7 my life is noise and yelling. Because of my job and salary range, I can only travel during school breaks and can't afford the long Europe cruises or the luxury lines.

Can there please be just SOMEWHERE that's an adult experience?

Hi there.

Don't have to justify or pre-defend yourself. You pay the fare, you enjoy with your family. Boorish and inconsiderate behaviour is present in all ages and all areas of life so use your common courteously and politeness. I feel the cruisers on the forums who gripe about kids on the mainline cruiseships ruining their serenity have a solution called Oceania or Crystal.

Once when we were riding the public bus in Bermuda, we met a group of the most respectful children who offered us their seats.

This spring in St. Martin, school children on an outing passed by us on the street. They all greeted us with smiling faces.

It's all in the way they are taught.

I've seen fabulously behaved children on cruises, and horribly behaved adults. A kid free cruise does not in any way equate to quiet, relaxing, and free from squealing, pool antics, etc. Many adults tend to treat freedom from kids as a reason to party and go crazy.

If I was looking for relaxing, quiet, kid-free, etc., I'd never choose a cruise.

It's the parents' responsibility to see that their children behave. We were in a suite on the Jade several years ago and we had the family from H***. The parents, as well as the children, behaved so badly, that it got to be a daily event to see Norwegian officers at their door. One night their young teens threw all the lounge and chair cushions into the ocean! The father then threw a fit when he was told that either his children behaved or they would be put off at the next Port. He threw a bigger fit when they told him he would have to pay for all the long-gone cushions. His general rant was "I can afford to do what I like...I'm paying for you to serve me....blah, blah, blah. His children had the same attitude. Unfortunately, some people - not all, of course - that can afford the best suite on the ship also have an "entitled" attitude, which is passed on to their kids. Of course we were angry - we worked long and hard for our vacation and it was absolutely ruined by this family. On the other hand, well-behaved children are a joy and a credit to their parents and I don't mind a bit if they are laughing and having fun. That's what vacations are about.

I thought the main issue was families who book multiple cabins, only 1 Haven, and then get extra Haven keys for those in the regular cabins.

While I haven't been yet (2 months to go!), I suspect that the unruly kids would be bored in the Haven and leave. It is probably not as big of a deal as some would have us believe.

The way I see it, if the kids were put in a Haven suite they have as much right as anyone else. If you don't like having kids in "your" Haven area, pay for Vibe or sail Royal and use the Solarium (16+ area with a pool OR pool and hot tub - depends on the ship).

If you're booking the Haven for a quiet pool to yourself, you're booking the wrong vacation. As for spoiled brats - they're everywhere - Haven or no haven.

that's not true,

you get a nice tub that you can fill with water ;-)

i have my rubber ducks in there too in case people get offended with me at the pool

Edited by BuffetPantsPls

Thank you for responding :-)

My point is that when we travel , i would really love to enjoy the ship and ofcourse Haven with our children.. and well.... just me and my crazy thoughts about ..wondering if people are thinking :oh god here comes a bunch of kids(4) but they are well behave children.. and if they yell and so on .. then we will just go to the slides and do other stuff :-)))

If you're booking the Haven for a quiet pool to yourself, you're booking the wrong vacation.

Unfortunately this is true.

The problem, as I see it, with the Haven is that its promoted as a "secluded area of refinement" but the Haven area is surrounded by 2 bedroom villas specifically designed with families in mind. Particularly families with small children. You can't have it both ways. Families have every right to book these cabins, cabins that were specifically designed for them. Children, being children, are going to be disruptive to the calm, spa like, environment NCL advertises. Whether it be at the Haven pool or the Haven restaurant, there are going to be children running around, being children.

So, to the OP, your children (who I'm sure are a delight) are not the problem. NCL's promotion of the Haven as something its not, is the problem.

Fortunately there are less child friendly alternatives out there for those so inclined.

Edited by HazyDavy

There is a huge difference between the newer havens and the Havens on Jewel/Gem class ships. The BA/GA, and even Epic Havens can handle more noise and commotion than the ships with smaller Haven areas. Two kids yelling MARCO! POLO! in the smaller havens or jumping in and out of the pool/hot tub really makes the space incredibly loud and wet and monopolizes the space. And there is no adult only area (other than the spa) on these older ships. Well behaved children are of course always welcome on any ship, but it's important for both adults and families to be cognizant of others in any of the small enclosed spaces.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

The problem, as I see it, with the Haven is that its promoted as a "secluded area of refinement" but the Haven area is surrounded by 2 bedroom villas specifically designed with families in mind. Particularly families with small children.

exactly! most of the haven on the jewel is the family suites. we are a family who just booked the haven and I will have my two kids with us, but i already planned on having them rarely use the haven. I dont see the need when our stateroom is larger and has amenities. I plan to use the haven when the kids are at the play area.

My teens were annoyed with the really loud children in the Haven. It's not just the pool area, it's also the restaurant and even the bar area. But we are the family who will all send some serious dirty looks over to the family with the unruly kids.

I don't know what it is but unfortunately I think the Haven actually attracts families with difficult kids.

There wasn't even one meal in the Epic Club I could remember without multiple screaming kids. I know on cruises kids run short on sleep. They are up late in the Kids Club and then the family gets up early to leave the ship for each port. I get tired kids. My kids have been on no less than 15 cruises. Bt when the same family walks into the restaurant and you know the kids will actually be wandering around during the meal, even running thru the Epic Club and then loud, you know this because that's been their behavior all week. The tolerance goes way down.

And yes, thank goodness for the upper deck adults only. The courtyard pool area is too small to hear a kid being too loud, running thru the small area, etc. There's a reason people are annoyed with the kids. They are annoying. People wouldn't complain about well behaved kids like I'm sure you have. When you hear multiple complaints about the same issue, you have to start thinking people have a valid point.

Edited by Vyhanek

I don't think the issue is not having children in the Haven

I think the issue is with children who misbehave and parents who do nothing to control the situation. I have stayed in the Haven a couple of times and have experienced really bad behavior from children while the parents sat there and did nothing. That was very irritating to me. I rarely blame the child since most often they don't know any better and need to be directed accordingly by their parents.

I will say that last year a whole entire family of 2 parents and 3 late teens jumped into the hot tub fully clothed including jeans and sneakers. That was really in bad taste and the parents should have known better.

So, see its not the necessarily the kids but the parents

I think the Haven should be for all who treat it and other guests with respect

Cheers!!

Unfortunately, I am the poster who was inquiring about the noise/children in the Haven area. I certainly do not expect there to be NO families with children in the Haven, nor do I expect there to be NO children in the Haven pool or restaurant.

I was merely inquiring about how crowded/noisy others found it to be so that I could make the right choices for myself and my husband. Those choices will include the possibility of purchasing a vibe pass and a spa pass for the week. I have absolutely no problem with doing either of those things. I know I can also retreat to the quiet of my lovely balcony as well.

I know the Haven is for EVERYONE to enjoy, with or without children. I also know that my right to enjoy the Haven area, which I am also paying good money for, is just as valid as the right to enjoy it by those with children, whether those children be well-behaved or not. I also know that those with children who are NOT well behaved, who are screaming, and unreasonably noisy, will not be allowed to ruin my vacation with their boorish behavior. I am not afraid to go to the proper people to complain about your unruly children playing in the pool or sitting in hot tubs. Consideration and respect is and should be a two way street. Lets all just enjoy our cruise!

J

My 2 nieces 8 & 10 will be traveling on the BA with me and my parents in the Haven in August. They've been on cruises before and in suites. They know better than to misbehave in public and in restaurants. They've eaten in high end restaurants and have manners. People always comment about how well behaved they are when we go places. We would not be bringing them with us if they didn't know how to behave. I've been on the BA and with all the activities onboard the last place kids want to be is in the Haven area. It's boring for kids in there.