Which way is bed facing on ship??

You really don't feel the forward motion on these huge ships, so it may be a moot point, especially if you are towards the middle. In fact, we often don't even know we have left dock if we're not outside at the time.

It's very difficult to pin down the bed orientation of a particular cabin, unless you can find pictures of that cabin by people who have actually stayed there, not on the cruise line website; those pictures are just representative of the cabin class, not necessarily your particular cabin.

Hi Folks.

I Want to take a cruise on Celebrity Millennium in March 2017. Need Headboard to be on Stern wall so feet toward bow. When sitting in bed or watching TV I Need to face forward (Bow) (Direction we are cruising at).

I know some people think it is not a problem but it is for me. ( Can't sit backwards on a train either)

Anyway can anyone tell me what room numbers on deck 7 have headboards on stern? Tried looking on schematic there is an indentation where headboard is but on deck plans all are the same. Ditto pictures. Thank you!

Check out the stickies on the Celebrity forum there is a thread that is dedicated to cabin reviews. you may find your answer there.

Ask your question on the Celebrity forum, you will get more people who have knowledge of your ship.

If you look on the deck plan you will see some rooms are adjoining, the beds for these rooms are on the non shared wall. You should be able to count along, every other room will have the headboard on the stern wall. I am not too sure how far along the corridor the opposing beds will carry on from the adjoining room set up.

You won't feel the motion like you do with other forms of transport so try not to be too worried about the headboard placement.

Cheers, h.

NB, the posts up until CCCTravelers question are dated 2006 - I think their ship has sailed :eek:

Plumber's wife--

I found it. Go to travelocity.com and to cruises. Then to RCCL, then to Mariner of the Seas. Go to deck plans. If you point your mouse to the room, it will show a picture!!!!!!!!!! There you go, just as I said, you will have your head up against the ocean and your feet towards the door and hallway!

the picture is not an "actual" picture of your cabin. It's only representative of what the cabin might look like .

You really don't feel the forward motion on these huge ships, so it may be a moot point,

You are right, it is a moot point. Even on small ships with around 100 passengers, I didn't feel the forward motion of the ship. The motion is only visible when the shore line is close.

In all my cruises, I've never been able to tell which direction the ship was moving from the cabin or, for that matter, anywhere on the inside of the ship.

Most of the time I can't even tell that it is moving at all. Yes, you can occasionally feel motion, but it's more often the waves (which can be side to side or front to back), not the ship moving forward.

It isn't anything like facing forward or backward in a car or train.

Well! Now I've got more to worry about. You mean to tell me ships rock and roll? We were in The S China Sea and had 12 ft or better waves and it was the best nights sleep I've had. The only way you could tell Diamond Princess was moving was that people fwd of you in a passage way walked like they were tipsy. I am sorry to inform people but you do feel motion in rough seas. Take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4riNxRi4mP0

Storms happen and can't be avoided. Just be prepared and don't worry about it.

Edited by WupperAV

With all that has been said about bed orientation... what happens when the shop pulls into port?

Does it decelerate so suddenly that you feel a pull that might roll you out of bed a few miles out from the port?

Also do they blow the ships horn for any reason during hours when people are trying to sleep?

Edited by BillHoo

With all that has been said about bed orientation... what happens when the shop pulls into port?

Does it decelerate so suddenly that you feel a pull that might roll you out of bed a few miles out from the port?

Also do they blow the ships horn for any reason during hours when people are trying to sleep?

I've yet to feel any deceleration, at 100,000 tons it takes a while to slow to a stop.

Yes they may need to blow, but it will only be if necessary, only been woken by it once, when some Yahoo!'S in a small boat cut across the bow, at about 2:00 am.

Well! Now I've got more to worry about. You mean to tell me ships rock and roll? We were in The S China Sea and had 12 ft or better waves and it was the best nights sleep I've had. The only way you could tell Diamond Princess was moving was that people fwd of you in a passage way walked like they were tipsy. I am sorry to inform people but you do feel motion in rough seas. Take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4riNxRi4mP0

Storms happen and can't be avoided. Just be prepared and don't worry about it.

Or don't cruise.

In all my cruises, I've never been able to tell which direction the ship was moving from the cabin or, for that matter, anywhere on the inside of the ship.

Most of the time I can't even tell that it is moving at all. Yes, you can occasionally feel motion, but it's more often the waves (which can be side to side or front to back), not the ship moving forward.

True, I often head the wrong way for just this reason.

Depends on which cruise line you're on. Some roll you out of bed and toot the horn, I think the Captains must be former NY Cab drivers. BWAHAHA We had a tugboat cut in our path in Singapore and they got a blast on the horn. They did answer with the same but they did cut it close. Read up on ship signals then you won't be shocked and will know what they mean.

(g) When a power-driven vessel is leaving a dock or berth, she shall sound one prolonged blast. [Inld] http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=Rule34

I completely agree! That's why I never understand why this question is asked. It honestly doesn't matter to me what direction the bed is facing, because you can't feel which way the ship is going.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I always book cabins mid-ship, to minimize movement. While I'm up and about, it doesn't bother me. But when I lay down to sleep, I do better if my bed is oriented bow-to-stern or the reverse, rather than port-to-starboard. I don't like to be rocked sideways....it upsets my stomach and gives me a headache. But being rocked head to toe just makes me sleep better!