Which way is bed facing on ship??

I thought I oculd figure it out....but now I can't think at all, so call RCCL and maybe they can help. Either your head or feet will oint to the bow, but your cabin sounds close to the middle of the ship so the motion shouldn't be bad!

Try Bonine if you think you will hae trouble. You can't tell from the diagrams so maybe another poster will know, or maybe RCCL has a better diagram.

We've done Celebrity Zenith and Carnival Fascination and I can say that at least on both of those ships, your feet are towards the door and your head is up against the window. Doesn't RCCL have their ship's layout on the website or how about the layouts here?

Plumber's wife--

I found it. Go to travelocity.com and to cruises. Then to RCCL, then to Mariner of the Seas. Go to deck plans. If you point your mouse to the room, it will show a picture!!!!!!!!!! There you go, just as I said, you will have your head up against the ocean and your feet towards the door and hallway!

Plumber's wife--

I found it. Go to travelocity.com and to cruises. Then to RCCL, then to Mariner of the Seas. Go to deck plans. If you point your mouse to the room, it will show a picture!!!!!!!!!! There you go, just as I said, you will have your head up against the ocean and your feet towards the door and hallway!

But, those pics are a generalization and not always representative of your particular cabin! It might not even be a pic of your particular ship!

We've had beds facing forward, aft, up against the window, towards the center of the ship (inside cabin).

Your cabin is actually a balcony cabin, so the bed will be facing forward or aft, not against the window at all.

Don't worry about which way the bed will be facing, it won't have that much bearing on whether or not you are motion sick. Just take precautions and hope for smooth sailing! These ships are so huge, unless the ocean is very rough, you will barely feel motion at all.

Forgot to add, a better websit to view cabins is http://www.cruisedeckplans.com You can find your ship and click on your category of room, there will be pictures of the actual cabins, not just mock-ups from the cruise line.

My sister just got off an RCI cruise, OV cabin. She said there were two beds and they were in an L-shape....so they were facing different directions. There are no 'headboards' anyway, so you could turn around and use the head for the foot...if that makes sense?:)

It's easier to answer questions if you would refer to which cruiseline or ship.

Plumber's wife--

This is a junior suite so it is a balcony cabin. They will not have the head of the bed up against the doors.

I'm taking a guess from the deck plans that the foot of the bed will be facing the bow, but this is just a guess. If you are worried about seasickness start taking a seasick medicine of some kind before you get on the ship.

OMG, is this something else I have to consider?

If you normally get motion sick in cars, small boats, etc. you should think about taking some seasick meds with you. If you don't normally get motion sick, then I wouldn't worry about it.

On my first cruise, the twin beds were pushed together parellel to the back wall of the cabin & abutting it. We could choose which way to face our heads. Next cruise beds were perpendicular to the wall. We could only really face the door.

Friends who had a balcony were parellel to the balcony doors with enough room to walk on that side of the bed; they faced the front of the ship. While it would have ben circuitous to walk around the beds, there was enough room to make the bed face the other way.

I'm sure for the right tip your cabin steward will set your cabin up the way you need it to face to be comfortable.

It's not like riding in a car; if you are not on neck I couldn't really tell which way the ship was traveling.

OMG, is this something else I have to consider?

No you don't. Just go and relax, don't worry which way the bed is facing. The only part you should be concerned with is that you have your tickets, citizenship documentation (passport or birth cert.) and you get to the ship on time. Everything else will take care of itself and you'll wonder why you were so worried about everything :)

I've not cruised nearly as much as some on these boards, but many times I'm amused by the questions asked. I know it's exciting to wonder about what will happen, but do you really want to know everything in advance? Don't you want a bit of surprise on your first cruise?

Pack your clothes and toiletries, take a good camera and plenty of memory/film, take a lot more cash than you ever think you'll need and have a great cruise!

No you don't. Just go and relax, don't worry which way the bed is facing. The only part you should be concerned with is that you have your tickets, citizenship documentation (passport or birth cert.) and you get to the ship on time. Everything else will take care of itself and you'll wonder why you were so worried about everything :)

I've not cruised nearly as much as some on these boards, but many times I'm amused by the questions asked. I know it's exciting to wonder about what will happen, but do you really want to know everything in advance? Don't you want a bit of surprise on your first cruise?

Pack your clothes and toiletries, take a good camera and plenty of memory/film, take a lot more cash than you ever think you'll need and have a great cruise!

Well thank you, never had a problem on my cousins boat deep sea fishing so I would not think that a big cruise ship would present any either.

• 10 years later...

Hi Folks.

I Want to take a cruise on Celebrity Millennium in March 2017. Need Headboard to be on Stern wall so feet toward bow. When sitting in bed or watching TV I Need to face forward (Bow) (Direction we are cruising at).

I know some people think it is not a problem but it is for me. ( Can't sit backwards on a train either)

Anyway can anyone tell me what room numbers on deck 7 have headboards on stern? Tried looking on schematic there is an indentation where headboard is but on deck plans all are the same. Ditto pictures. Thank you!

You can't feel your forward motion inside the ship....so don't even think about it...

Depending on the cabin, you could be facing either forward or backward. Some cabins, you will be sideways. If your bed isn't correct, put the pillows at the foot of the bed and sleep that way....

If you can get a reliable floorplan that shows which side the bathrooms are on, the head of the bed is usually on the side with the bathroom (so if the bathroom is on the right as you enter the room, so will the head of the bed).

I seem to recall that on QM2 the hinge on the main door to the hallway is on the same side as the foot of the bed so deck plans that show which way the door swings will give a clue as to the original notation of the bed. I don't know if my memory is correct or whether that carries to other ships.

But in the long run I'll agree with the others who say that it matters a lot less than you might think.

Edited by Underwatr

If you can get a reliable floorplan that shows which side the bathrooms are on, the head of the bed is usually on the side with the bathroom (so if the bathroom is on the right as you enter the room, so will the head of the bed).

I seem to recall that on QM2 the hinge on the main door to the hallway is on the same side as the foot of the bed so deck plans that show which way the door swings will give a clue as to the original notation of the bed. I don't know if my memory is correct or whether that carries to other ships.

But in the long run I'll agree with the others who say that it matters a lot less than you might think.

This is about as accurate as you can get. If the floor plan shows doors right or left side of the cabin, headboard will generally be on opposite side (envision straight shot from door to balcony - bed usually will not cross that path).

BTW, if you're at sea and gazing out, you'd need a reference point (e.g., landmass) to even begin to see perceived ship motion in a particular direction (actually, it's the illusory movement of the land in the opposite direction that demonstrates your movement). Yacht sailors view landmark positions and their perceived "movement" (rather than eyeing the surrounding water) to determine if their anchor has set.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Hi Folks.

I Want to take a cruise on Celebrity Millennium in March 2017. Need Headboard to be on Stern wall so feet toward bow. When sitting in bed or watching TV I Need to face forward (Bow) (Direction we are cruising at).

I know some people think it is not a problem but it is for me. ( Can't sit backwards on a train either)

On trains, it is a problem for me as well, but on ships it doesn't matter because you don't feel any forward motion. You don't even see it from the side of the ship unless you have a shore as reference point, for example in the Panama Canal.

Plumber's wife--

Bad advice - balcony cabins with long wall running athwart will NOT have bed against the window wall - head of bed will be either towards bow or stern - and diagrams are just examples - NOT depictions of specific cabin arrangement.

Zero for two - NOT a good effort!

Boy! Now I found out after all these years that my bed may be in the opposite direction I'm traveling, Or worse, sideways? I can get seasick, motion sick, Food sick, airborne illness sick and sick of people complaining, and what's that ships disease? Cruise Loco! Ya! Already have it.

Plumber's wife--

Absolutely not! That is completely incorrect! Check again on the RCI Mariner website. The beds are oriented perpendicular to the hall door and balcony door so that you are laying in the direction of the ship's motion. Depending on the stateroom - as they are staggered as to which wall the bed is on - your head will be towards the front of the ship or towards the rear, but never towards the ocean. It is that way on every RCI side location balcony stateroom we've been in except Sovereign - which is towards the ocean - and we've been on 14 different RCI ships (including Mariner) in every ship class except Quantum.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Absolutely not! That is completely incorrect! Check again on the RCI Mariner website. The beds are oriented perpendicular to the hall door and balcony door so that you are laying in the direction of the ship's motion. Depending on the stateroom - as they are staggered as to which wall the bed is on - your head will be towards the front of the ship or towards the rear, but never towards the ocean. It is that way on every RCI side location balcony stateroom we've been in except Sovereign - which is towards the ocean - and we've been on 14 different RCI ships (including Mariner) in every ship class except Quantum.

Agreed, except for in aft cabins where they may go from port to starboard or vice versa. :D