Have we made a big mistake?

happygran

We have our first HAL cruise booked for February. We've been sailing Celebrity for a few years but booked this cruise for 2 reasons.......1) we wanted to try HAL as an alternative and 2) we love the itinerary.

But we are getting a little concerned at all the negative Noordam reviews!

We aren't 'high maintenance' and are happy with good food, good cabin, good staff and a couple of bars with live music. We're happy with that.

We're not 'moaners' and don't look for problems........just want a nice relaxing cruise.........chilling out.

Is the Noordam really that bad?

I have sailed on the Noordam 3 times; the last time was 3 years ago. I loved the ship and the crew and find it hard to believe that a ship could have gone downhill so fast. If you love the itinerary, you should go for it. I find sometimes the reviews here are very subjective. I have been on ships that were panned here and yet my cruise was wonderful; same thing with ships that were highly recommended which I thought were so-so. Everyone has their own tastes and no ship is perfect.

We have our first HAL cruise booked for February. We've been sailing Celebrity for a few years but booked this cruise for 2 reasons.......1) we wanted to try HAL as an alternative and 2) we love the itinerary.

We aren't 'high maintenance' and are happy with good food, good cabin, good staff and a couple of bars with live music. We're happy with that.

We're not 'moaners' and don't look for problems........just want a nice relaxing cruise.........chilling out.

If it is, I will let you know after I disembark the Noordam on December 21.

I will be scanning the Main Dining Room menus and daily activities for posting on my website during my cruise. In the meantime, here are the scanned PDF menus for Specialty Restaurants, Room Service (24/7), and Beverages:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=908

Everybody's experience is different when cruising. For every complaint review, you probably have 1500 passengers that had a great experience. You will have to decide for yourself.

Make sure you join your roll call.

Edited by Crew News

We love the Noordam. We last sailed on her Dec. 2013. Everything was great with the exception of our room--one of the newly added cabins on the 10th floor.

The HVAC just didn't work properly for half of the trip and it was tiresome trying to get the Front Desk to care.

The only caveat I have for your trip is don't book one of the new cabins installed in May 2013.

We didn't find one thing wrong with the Noordam in February. We have been on all HALs Signature and Vista class ships, many numerous times, and Noordam is our clear favorite. We have been to Alaska five times in the Alaska six years and decided after we disembarked in May from our last Alaska cruise, that we would go elsewhere next year.

When we found out that Noordam would replace the Zuiderdam for the Alaska cruise next May, we booked it the same day.

I could write a review on the Noordam, and it would all be positive. I stopped reading reviews years ago because I never experienced any of the "problems" that were listed.

We have friends who had only sailed on Celebrity cruises, and after a cruise on the Eurodam, they now only sail on HAL cruises. They are in their mid-30s.

Don't worry. It's a wonderful ship and you'll enjoy your cruise!

Good gosh...I hope not! She was fine in February and I expect her to be fine when we do our TA on October 19!

We sailed in March 2014 on the Celebrity Summit. It was our first time on Celebrity since our sailing on the Century in 1996. We loved both sailings but have been hooked on HAL for years and years. We look at Celebrity and HAL as the Macy's and Gimbels or Buick and Mercury of cruises. There are way, way, way more similarities than differences. The most notable difference to us was that HAL to us had a far superior Lido at all meal times and we liked the MDR deserts way better on Celebrity.

We haven't been on the Noordam in a number of years but will be doing her upcoming transatlantic sailing in October. While there is always a first time, we have yet to sail on a HAL ship with bad maintenance or poor service.

I think you'll be fine.

I love the Noordam. We've sailed on her 4 times and it is my favorite HAL ship. I also love the Explorations Café/Library (location and size) on the Noordam (compare to the other Vista class ships).

I am confident you will enjoy your cruise!

I love the Noordam. We've sailed on her 4 times and it is my favorite HAL ship. I also love the Explorations Café/Library (location and size) on the Noordam (compare to the other Vista class ships).

I am confident you will enjoy your cruise!

That is one of the huge (very HUGE) pluses of the Noordam...they had the sense to leave the Explorations Café on Deck 3 instead of moving it to the Crow's Nest as they did on the other Vista Class ships..and where it's located on the Signature class ships as well.

We loved Noordam for 21 days last February and on past Wednesday, made the decision to love Noordam again this February for another 21 days.

We are four star Mariners having experienced sailings on many of HAL's ships and the food, service, surroundings, and general all round great relaxing ambience on Noordam called us back again.

We are on Noordam in just over a week, it will be our first HAL cruise, we have sailed on the Solstice two years ago, so I'll happily post a review and comparison on my return at the end of September.

I always take the reviews with a pinch of salt, sometimes one incident seems to get blown out of proportion. But I'll try and leave the rose tinted specs at home as well ;)

happygran - I've done the 21 day in Feb/March for the last 2 years now. Have to say I was dubious the first time, having only been on DCL, RCL and Princess previously. BUT, I had a blast. Staff were fantastic, cabin was lovely, I didn't starve (lol) and the music was great too. Love the introduction of BB King's Blues Club. Might even see you on board - may book this yet again for the same cruise as you.

I'm sure you will enjoy it - I met some really nice people too, which was a real bonus.

Only negative reviews I've read have been on the Med. Not sure why this is.

Many, many thanks to all of you.........it's just what I needed to hear!

I don't usually take much notice of negative reviews as, has been said, much of it is subjective, but all the recent reviews were so negative........ I look forward to reading the reviews of those cruising in the near future.

I am (or should I say 'we') are excited at trying HAL and are certainly looking forward to popping into BB King's Blues Club. It sounds terrific.

Thanks again......