All the planning didn't prepare us for THIS!!!

Another great place in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea is the Windjammer Resort (one block south of village pump). Right on the ocean - we own timeshare there.

I tried booking there first, no availability! Maybe next time!

LOVE your attitude...I bet you are a lot of fun to travel with. Where there is a will...

Its an adventure everytime! I just realized i talked about all this money i saved but never talked about the fact I forgot to my toothpaste and paid $4 for a pea size bottle on the ship!

Its an adventure everytime! I just realized i talked about all this money i saved but never talked about the fact I forgot to my toothpaste and paid $4 for a pea size bottle on the ship!

Great review! I also love your attitude and I hope that your problem solving sense of adventure is rubbing off on your kids!

This made me laugh - as we forgot Q-tips and ended up paying $3.50 for 50 of them...when I told someone I met on board, they said 'why didn't you just ask your stateroom attendant? They seem to have a stash of everything that they are able to share! And - on the last day, I realized they had them available for use in the makeup store ..surely we could have taken 5-7 from there and no one would have known!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fun review! Glad that everything worked out for you. However, for someone who paid so much attention to prices I am really surprised you didn't get insurance. Even if it was only health/medical - even young people can have accidents, appendicitis, etc. Would never travel without medical insurance including evacuation insurance.

If my DW could not travel because of a recent medical condition, I would not do so without her. Toss the kids on the ship, but I could never be at peace knowing she could not care for herself. Whatever ... to each their own. Flame away.

As long as someone isn't actually in the hospital (my family doesn't let family members be alone in hospitals...we've seen too many questionable things that would have happened if a healthy person wasn't there to say "actually the other nurse just gave her the morphine 10 minutes ago, she doesn't need more" etc) if the family is cool with it, go.

I hear you but I'm not convinced yet that it would of paid itself. Precondition covered? Have you ever gone to an out of network DR.? yes they pay you....00001% of what you paid. Again, the cruise didn't cost that much so i'm still not a firm believer in extra insurance. But, I will research the insurance before our next cruise! lol

Travel insurance doesn't work that way.

When you were at the airport and your SW doubt was cancelled you could have booked another airline and the trip insurance would have covered that.

And when you're dealing with an issue like that, don't just stand in line. Also be on the phone to the airline.

As for your daughter's lost luggage, always bring essentials in carryon! Underwear and bathing suits (and pretty dresses and shoes) are always in my carryon.

With trio insurance you wouldn't have been at the mercy of a rep refunding you for his cruise. They went beyond what they were contracted to do if you were refunded for that and no one should ever expect that sort of thing to be done for them.

Also you mentioned that you went through a TA for the best price? Apart from onboard credit or little perks, the price of the cruise with Royal is going to be the same as booking direct. Unless they r out you in a "block", which actually usually limits your changes that can be made.

And you keep mentioning that SW refunded you. With those prices you were using "wannagetaway" fares, yes? If so it's not a refund, but a chunk of travel funds for use within a year of original booking date by the exact traveler it was booked for. I'm sure you know the difference, but those unfamiliar with SW might be unclear and have inappropriate expectations.

Glad you had a nice trip despite it all.

OP - did you book with a credit card? If so, check and see if it provides you any trip cancellation/interruption insurance. We use a Chase Sapphire Reserve card. It has wonderful trip insurance...but only if you have used it to book the trip. I had a situation last cruise that may have needed it. Checked with them before we left and we were covered fully. Luckily didn't need to use it.

Anyway, check you credit card perks.

[

Travel insurance doesn't work that way.

When you were at the airport and your SW doubt was cancelled you could have booked another airline and the trip insurance would have covered that. There were no flights available. I was on the phone with SW, my daughter in FL at 5 am was on the phone with SW and my sister in CO was on Expedia. Nothing available. Everything was booked and oversold as it was spring break.

And when you're dealing with an issue like that, don't just stand in line. Also be on the phone to the airline. Ummm....yeah i was....Can't you tell I have ADD? I had my sons phone, my phone, and all my new friends in line. We all were working for the ultimate goal! If there was a "mistake" it was not inviting the lady behind me to drive with me. i could of dropped her and her kids off at Disney. That is my only regret.

As for your daughter's lost luggage, always bring essentials in carryon! Underwear and bathing suits (and pretty dresses and shoes) are always in my carryon. Same here! Except when you are planning on flying on Wed, don't pack till tuesday . I'm fat, I always have a bathing suit in the carryon. Surf shops don't tend to have size 22's readily available. They did; however, have an adult xs for the child for $1.99 on clearance #scoreoneforsister

With trio insurance you wouldn't have been at the mercy of a rep refunding you for his cruise. They went beyond what they were contracted to do if you were refunded for that and no one should ever expect that sort of thing to be done for them. They absolutely went above and beyond. If you don't ask, you'll never know. I would have accepted NO but i also had 22 hours to entertain myself, so i did!! I assume they did based on the medical emergency. Better to have this guy on land then with us out to sea and have to turn around.

Also you mentioned that you went through a TA for the best price? Apart from onboard credit or little perks, the price of the cruise with Royal is going to be the same as booking direct. Unless they r out you in a "block", which actually usually limits your changes that can be made. ? I got OBC which for 2 cabins was more than $150. I thought that was worth using a TA? I watch the prices daily.....ok periodically....maybe hourly if I'm on break. ;p

And you keep mentioning that SW refunded you. With those prices you were using "wannagetaway" fares, yes? If so it's not a refund, but a chunk of travel funds for use within a year of original booking date by the exact traveler it was booked for. I'm sure you know the difference, but those unfamiliar with SW might be unclear and have inappropriate expectations. That is correct for the $59 flights that were reduced to $39. As for the cancelled flights, i got my money back including the girls in cash. So on Thursday the flight was $79. I paid $159 3 months or so prior. The difference of $80 per ticket was given back to me on my cc. I also got travel funds for future flights from the cancelled flights and lost luggage.

Glad you had a nice trip despite it all. It wasn't nice, it was awesome. I'm glad everything happened, I got 22 hours to be with my 18 year old son who's going to serve our country!!!

Just another reason for healthy younger people to get insurance-in case something happens to your parents that prevents you from going on vacation-you get refunded. Started buying trip insurance (never from the cruise line-overpriced and not as inclusive) when we went to Israel b/c parents were not in the best of shape. And now that I'm older and not in the best of shape it offers me piece of mind. Always try to get it within 2 weeks of booking because then any pre existing conditions are covered as well.

Let me tell you OP you are courageous-I would have been freaking out and driving 22 hours doesn't sound like much fun. Hope you and your son had some good lasting talks and may he be safe when he protects all of us. Please thank him for me for his service.

OP - did you book with a credit card? If so, check and see if it provides you any trip cancellation/interruption insurance. We use a Chase Sapphire Reserve card. It has wonderful trip insurance...but only if you have used it to book the trip. I had a situation last cruise that may have needed it. Checked with them before we left and we were covered fully. Luckily didn't need to use it.

Anyway, check you credit card perks.

Just called Because i used my debit card, no go. Great idea though! Thanks!

Also you mentioned that you went through a TA for the best price? Apart from onboard credit or little perks, the price of the cruise with Royal is going to be the same as booking direct. Unless they r out you in a "block", which actually usually limits your changes that can be made.

Just an FYI I don't think this is always true. I booked a trip direct w/RCL then found the same cruise $500 cheaper on on online TA the next day and got $100 OBC. Needless to say I xld the direct book and rebooked with the TA. I have since seen other cruises I was checking out cheaper at RCL, while some were the same price. I think it just depends . . .

[Glad you had a nice trip despite it all. It wasn't nice, it was awesome. I'm glad everything happened, I got 22 hours to be with my 18 year old son who's going to serve our country!!!

I love, love, love your optimism and keeping your cool !!! My stepson serves in the Army. We certainly know what any additional time with them means. <3

I am a total planner pre cruise, and then once the trip starts it is all go with the flow. Was very happy to read about your adventure, and that all turned out well. Thanks for sharing!

I loved your review!

I work for an Airline, and this past spring break was horrible in Philly. We had bad weather along with oversold flights! So many cancellations and we couldn't get people to their destinations. Folks were stuck for days. I felt so sorry for the passengers.

Your attitude is awesome! And I'm sure this will rub off on your kids.:)

I don't buy trip insurance either and thank goodness things worked out for you.;p

We are sailing Freedom spring break 2018 as well (march 3, 2018)! When is your sail date?

Sigh....Not till March 25, 2018. Oh yeah, I have one booked for Jan 6 2018 also. AND i want to book a Christmas 2018. All I need now is money!!! I can't afford but one!! Money and time.........and a port that's closer than Fort Lauderdale!!!;p:D