Key Largo???

woozlebear

Will have 2 days after our cruise and was thinking of spending it in Key Largo. We will not have a car so was wondering about the cost of transport from the Port of Miami and return to the Airport. Does anyone have any idea of cost involved?

Susan

No idea but it would likely be pretty pricey as is over an hour. That said, Key Largo is the most honkey tonk and least desirable of all the Keys. You have to go at least a half hour further south to Islamorada where you get the no so commercial, really laid back South Seas atmosphere that it and the other "mid" Keys are known for.

Edited by worldspan

No idea but it would likely be pretty pricey as is over an hour. That said, Key Largo is the most honkey tonk and least desirable of all the Keys. You have to go at least a half hour further south to Islamorada where you get the no so commercial, really laid back South Seas atmosphere that it and the other "mid" Keys are known for.

Least desirable? We dive out of John Pennekamp State Park all the time and it is one of the most pristine dive spots in the US.

Key Largo is also home to the Ocean Reef Club which is one of the most exclusive resorts in the US with its own airport.

To the OP, Key Largo is all about being on or under the water. If you want more activities like shopping or sightseeing, you might want to go all the way to Key West. However if you are into boating, fishing, diving, snorkeling, Key Largo is perfect.

You are going to need to rent a car to get there and you'll have to have a car to get around once you get to Key Largo.

Will have 2 days after our cruise and was thinking of spending it in Key Largo. We will not have a car so was wondering about the cost of transport from the Port of Miami and return to the Airport. Does anyone have any idea of cost involved?

Susan

Key Largo is very nice and I think worldspan got Key Largo mixed up with Key West. :)

There are a few shuttle that will take you from Miami Airport to The Keys. Have fun in the Keys its lovely.

http://keysshuttle.50megs.com/

Least desirable? We dive out of John Pennekamp State Park all the time and it is one of the most pristine dive spots in the US.

Key Largo is also home to the Ocean Reef Club which is one of the most exclusive resorts in the US with its own airport.

To the OP, Key Largo is all about being on or under the water. If you want more activities like shopping or sightseeing, you might want to go all the way to Key West. However if you are into boating, fishing, diving, snorkeling, Key Largo is perfect.

You are going to need to rent a car to get there and you'll have to have a car to get around once you get to Key Largo.

We're considering Key Largo for our pre-cruise (three nights) as well. We've sailed out of Miami and Fort Lauderdale several times and we've never been to the Keys, so this looked like something we'd enjoy. And yes, we'd rent a car. I'd love your thoughts on places to eat, boat tours, etc. Thanks so much!

We're considering Key Largo for our pre-cruise (three nights) as well. We've sailed out of Miami and Fort Lauderdale several times and we've never been to the Keys, so this looked like something we'd enjoy. And yes, we'd rent a car. I'd love your thoughts on places to eat, boat tours, etc. Thanks so much!

I'd head to Key Colony Beach and get a rental that includes one of the beach clubs as there is no public beach in Key Colony.

You can also walk to the Holiday Inn and get the Key West city bus to Key West.

Lots of good places to eat and tons to do in Marathon.

Islamorada is my favorite key but unless you have a boat, it can get boring.

I'd head to Key Colony Beach and get a rental that includes one of the beach clubs as there is no public beach in Key Colony.

Thanks, BlueHerons! We've been looking at Islamorada. One draw I have towards Key Largo is that our older teen is interested in a Marlins game and Key Largo seems driveable. Frankly, I'm not interested in a Marlins game - but since his high school graduation will have been a few days earlier maybe we owe him one.:)

Thanks, BlueHerons! We've been looking at Islamorada. One draw I have towards Key Largo is that our older teen is interested in a Marlins game and Key Largo seems driveable. Frankly, I'm not interested in a Marlins game - but since his high school graduation will have been a few days earlier maybe we owe him one.:)

Islamorada is also drivable from the game, it is only a little further than Key Largo.

The Lorelei is my favorite bar in the world!

What is your budget? Some of the nicer resorts have their own beaches but other than that, you will not find them in the keys.

Edited by BlueHerons

Islamorada is also drivable from the game, it is only a little further than Key Largo.

The Lorelei is my favorite bar in the world!

What is your budget? Some of the nicer resorts have their own beaches but other than that, you will not find them in the keys.

We're looking around $200/night before taxes. We're not very fancy - Hampton Inn types are fine for us.

We're looking around $200/night before taxes. We're not very fancy - Hampton Inn types are fine for us.

Not going to find a lot of that in the keys. Mostly rentals with kitchens because most people come to Islamorada to fish and want a full kitchen.

Mid range look at the Breezy Palms, Kon Tiki, and Pines and Palms.

The keys are also expensive.

Will you be here over 4th of July weekend? That is a packed weekend/week in the keys.

Book something soon.

For one of the resorts you may be looking at around $300 a night over a holiday period.

• 3 weeks later...
Not going to find a lot of that in the keys. Mostly rentals with kitchens because most people come to Islamorada to fish and want a full kitchen.

Mid range look at the Breezy Palms, Kon Tiki, and Pines and Palms.

The keys are also expensive.

Will you be here over 4th of July weekend? That is a packed weekend/week in the keys.

Book something soon.

For one of the resorts you may be looking at around $300 a night over a holiday period.

BlueHerons, just wanted to circle back to let you know what we decided. We ended up booking the Hampton Inn in Key Largo - it has good reviews and a Gulf-facing beach. We'll have a car, so we'll be able to visit a few other places. Thanks so much for your posts! I'm looking forward to visiting a part of Florida we haven't seen.

BlueHerons, just wanted to circle back to let you know what we decided. We ended up booking the Hampton Inn in Key Largo - it has good reviews and a Gulf-facing beach. We'll have a car, so we'll be able to visit a few other places. Thanks so much for your posts! I'm looking forward to visiting a part of Florida we haven't seen.

Just don't plan on a beach that you can enter the water from especially on the gulf. Your swimming will most likely be limited to the pool unless you get out on a boat on the ocean side which I highly recommend.

The gulf/back country is mostly grassy/brackish. It's where all the tarpon live and spawn.

Make sure you book a snorkeling trip in John Pennekamp. The waters there are pristine and the visibility is amazing.

• 1 month later...

We are headed to Key Largo next month too (pre cruise) and looking for ideas. Are you referring to the Holiday Inn in Key Colony or Key Largo? We are staying at the Holiday Inn Key Largo so I was curious about the bus. Is Key West worth seeing, or just party city??

What would be your top 3 things to see or do in the Keys? We have rental car and like nature, adventure, not partying. We will dive/snorkel Pennecamp, but I've heard its pretty dead for those of us use to Carribean diving. Any other ideas? Thanks

We are headed to Key Largo next month too (pre cruise) and looking for ideas. Are you referring to the Holiday Inn in Key Colony or Key Largo? We are staying at the Holiday Inn Key Largo so I was curious about the bus. Is Key West worth seeing, or just party city??

What would be your top 3 things to see or do in the Keys? We have rental car and like nature, adventure, not partying. We will dive/snorkel Pennecamp, but I've heard its pretty dead for those of us use to Carribean diving. Any other ideas? Thanks

I don't know who told you that the diving is dead in Pennecamp but they could not be more wrong. It is pristine, very high visibility, and amazing fish and coral.

Since JP waters are protected (the Florida Keys waters are patrolled by about a dozen different city, state, and national entities), you'll find it to be some of the best diving in the world.

The keys had a lot of problems until the waters were designated a National Marine Sanctuary and they take it very seriously. The fine for destroying sea grass (the keys are very shallow and if you get out of a channel, you'll run aground guaranteed) is $50 a square foot and it only takes seconds to run up a $1000 fine.

The Holiday Inn I was referring to is the one at Key Colony Beach which is about an hour down the road.

Hmmn. My favorite three things would be to go get out on the water, get under the water, go snorkel the Dry Tortugas, and probably eat at Blue Heaven in Key West.

Yes, Key West is a party city but there is a lot to see and it is very beautiful.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else. And beware of Lion Fish.

Huh? Have you ever been there????

Key Largo is totally different than Key West. There is nothing "honkey tonk" about it.

I really cannot believe you said what you did about Key Largo.

Just understand, that Key Largo is not really a town that you walk around, like Key West. You need a car to get anywhere, unless you love to walk looong distances.

Otherwise, yes, it is about an hour from Miami.

We just returned from our cruise which included our two-day stay in Key Largo. The Hampton Inn was very nice; we were lucky to have manatee sightings (mother and calf) twice and the sunsets were wonderful. The last night we sat out on the beach and enjoyed sunset with a bottle of wine. Never made it to John Pennecamp State Park - way too crowded. We did have a nice cruise around the canals on the African Queen, which was a lot of fun. DH is a steamboat fan - and a fan of the movie -so this was right up his alley. I'm glad we took some extra time to visit.

We are spending 4 days in Key Largo Pre-cruise in September in mid September.

Booked the Keys Shuttle. $180 round trip for the two of us from FLL. They drop off and pick up right at the hotel. Our hotel is a low cost bit of a dive, but we are fine with that, as we are not fancy people.

We have booked:

a) A kayak excursion (less than 5 minute walk from hotel) Day 1

b) A fishing excursion (across the highway from the hotel) Day 2

c) A snorkel excursion (15 minute walk from the hotel) Day 3

Restaurants are all close by as well. So I saw no need for a rental car. We will simply relax and stay within close distance of the hotel unless something really calls out to us. Looking forward to this time as a build up to the cruise.

Don

BlueHeron, now you're scaring me. If I run into grass while diving I can be fined! Wow...

I'm happy to hear Pennecamp is still in good shape. My DH learned to dive there about 30-40 yrs ago. I can't wait to check it out. Do any of you have a dive op you'd recommend? Another friend here at work had a bad experience diving in the Keys. He said the DM basically just drops you off and doesn't even dive with you.

Thank you everyone else for the ideas. I'm thinking of changing hotels now. I'll check out the others you recommended, but I did get a deal on the Holiday Inn and it was close to Pennecamp.

How long is the drive from Key Largo to Key West?? I haven't gotten far in my planning yet. The toll roads also scare me. How many from MIA to Key Largo?