Cloudy Carribean??

aliciawag

Hi all!

I have a question regarding Carribean itineraries. I am currently in cruise withdrawl and looking at booking my next ASAP! I've been researching carribean itineraries with two in particular in mind.

1. Eastern Carribean travelling from Port Canaveral to Tortola,St Thomas and Great Stirrup Cay.

2. Western Carribean travelling from Port Canaveral to Great Stirrup Cay, George Town, Ocho Rios and Cozumel.

We would be looking at travelling between February and April/May..most likely end of March or early April.

However.......We have done 3 previous mediterranean cruises and love to spend a lot of time sunbathing. Various Photos/Videos I have seen/watched of Carribean itineraries seem to show cloudy skies which has me nervous to take the plunge and book! Is it often the case that a full day/week would be cloudy?? I know that it should still be hot but I'm a big sun worshiper and it may be a dealbreaker for me!

Thanks in advance!:cool:

November is my choice for the Caribbean. We have celebrated many "honeymoons " since our first one in the Caribbean. Still one of my favorite places to go. I love the beaches and try to swim everyday. Both of your choices are good. Of those, my favorite is the Western Caribbean. Happy Sails.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have to cruise spring break every year due to my teaching schedule, which means the first or second week of March. Generally the weather in either the eastern or western Caribbean is pretty good. We occasionally will have a day that it is a total wash out. Winds tend to be stronger in the eastern Caribbean that time of year, though last year it blew over 50 knots for three days straight on the western side.

We have cruised the Caribbean between early Mar-end of Apr., and never had any issues with rain. You might experience a few clouds, but it really is no concern, the weather is ideal that time of year. :cool:

Hi all!

I have a question regarding Carribean itineraries. I am currently in cruise withdrawl and looking at booking my next ASAP! I've been researching carribean itineraries with two in particular in mind.

1. Eastern Carribean travelling from Port Canaveral to Tortola,St Thomas and Great Stirrup Cay.

2. Western Carribean travelling from Port Canaveral to Great Stirrup Cay, George Town, Ocho Rios and Cozumel.

We would be looking at travelling between February and April/May..most likely end of March or early April.

However.......We have done 3 previous mediterranean cruises and love to spend a lot of time sunbathing. Various Photos/Videos I have seen/watched of Carribean itineraries seem to show cloudy skies which has me nervous to take the plunge and book! Is it often the case that a full day/week would be cloudy?? I know that it should still be hot but I'm a big sun worshiper and it may be a dealbreaker for me!

Thanks in advance!:cool:

NO ONE can tell you if you will get sunny skies.

thanks for the replies- generally is cloudy weather to be expected or would a full day/week of minimal sun be rare??:cool:

It's the weather. No one can predict that so much in advance. It might be cloudy, it might be sunny, it might be partly cloudy or partly sunny. If you just want to get tanned, be careful in the Caribbean when it is cloudy. The UV levels are very high and your Irish skin will get burnt quickly. :)

Because most islands have higher elevations, clouds DO form. They are usually fleeting and pass quickly. It's simply a weather phenomenon. Moist hot air rises over the mountains, and condenses, forming clouds...and sometimes, rain showers. Unless there is an actual storm, any clouds or rain is short-lived.

Thanks everyone for your responses- feeling more confident now!

Because most islands have higher elevations, clouds DO form. They are usually fleeting and pass quickly. It's simply a weather phenomenon. Moist hot air rises over the mountains, and condenses, forming clouds...and sometimes, rain showers. Unless there is an actual storm, any clouds or rain is short-lived.

This info is great- I had noticed this from pictures! Blazing sun in some photos with heavy cloud in others taken only hours apart..thanks for clearing the confusion up!

The eastern Caribbean has a overall drier climate. From a weather internet site you can compare rainfall month by month between Cozumel and Tortola for example. Western Caribbean definitely has a rainy season in winter and early spring.