cruise project

cperk97

I'm hoping some of you can help me. We are taking our girls out of school for our cruise and would like them to learn something other than how to have fun on this trip. We will have a ship load of people (staff) from all over the world and being in Bermuda for three days I hope we have a chance to talk with some locals. Can you all help me put together some questions for my girls to ask? I would like them to speak to some of the staff and learn about their home countries and what it's like living on a cruise ship. Maybe try to contact some of the higher ups to learn what type of education helped them get to their positions. I'm hoping they can put the info together in such a way that they might be able to get some extra credit at school. Thank you in advance.

You can start by joining the roll call for your cruise and date, there you will have an opportunity to meet some of the officers which will give you a chance to corner one or two and possibly set up a short meeting. And if not with them then ask if it could be arranged with one of the dept mgrs.

I don't mean to offend you, as you've probably already done this, but if the school knows they're going, they may have work to do already. I'm a HS teacher and if we know a student will be out for an extended absence, we give them work. The teacher may have an extra credit assignment he or she typically gives students in this situation.

All your ideas are great. Don't know if you plan on taking them to the Aquarium, but there might be something with marine biology there. Is either girl a dolphin fan? If you go into Hamilton, you might be able to stop at the Parliament building - it's quite a sight to see the dress in which the legislators conduct business. Not knowing the ages of the girls, that's all I can think about at the moment.

Travel can be a great opportunity and it sounds like you realize all the wonderful ways it can broaden your children's horizons.

What a great idea! Most of the staff are very approachable and are love to talk about their homes if only someone asks. One thing I think NCL does very well is to highlight all of the nationalities that work aboard the ship. On our recent Gem trip, they said 64 different countries were represented.

Definitely join the roll call so you can get the senior offices name and numbers. Just be respectful of their time and meet when convenient for them but I know they'll be more than willing to help.

I'm hoping some of you can help me. We are taking our girls out of school for our cruise and would like them to learn something other than how to have fun on this trip. We will have a ship load of people (staff) from all over the world and being in Bermuda for three days I hope we have a chance to talk with some locals. Can you all help me put together some questions for my girls to ask? I would like them to speak to some of the staff and learn about their home countries and what it's like living on a cruise ship. Maybe try to contact some of the higher ups to learn what type of education helped them get to their positions. I'm hoping they can put the info together in such a way that they might be able to get some extra credit at school. Thank you in advance.

You could start now .

The majority of the ships crew are from the Philippine .

You could teach them a little basic Filipino

Good Morning = Magandang umaga

Good Afternoon= Magandang tanghali

Good Evening=Magandang gabi

Yes/No = Oo/Hindi

Thank You =Salamat

Not at all ( Your Welcome) = Walang anuman

With a couple of word they can gain some new friends that will be more than happy to teach them much more . :D

P.S. A crew members country of origin is on their name tag .

Edited by biker@sea

:D So glad to hear that you are turning your vacation into a learning experience. My children are probably younger, but when we pulled them out I had to speak to the school first. Their teacher gave them a special assignment and since we were traveling "out of the country" our school excused their absence.

You may want to stop by a bank and gather some of their local currency, though they exchange at the same rate it's interesting to look at and a cheap souvenir to boot. This was my children's assignment in each port we stopped since they were learning how to count money at the time.

I would ask some of the staff onboard teach your girls some words from their language "Hello" and "Thank You" for example. Also ask about any national holiday's and how they celebrate them.

Enjoy your cruise!

A few years ago we took a cutout doll type of figure on a Med. cruise. I believe it is a common project and has a story. At any rate, we took pictures with flat Stanley and my nephew had to research and write about his adventures.

In our school district if you pull your child out for a vacation they are not permitted to make up the work, the absences are unexcused and can result in a need to go to summer school or even repeat a grade or classes...now, in the lower grades some teachers will look the other way and allow make up work to be done...but middle and high school are very strict in this regard.

Edited by medsed

We are also taking our kids out of school to go to Bermuda (both schools excuse it for educational/travel experience). If you are a member of your local science center, check their reciprocal benefits. We found out that our membership with our local museum will allow us to get into the Institute of Underwater Exploration in Bermuda for free! This will allow us some time for an educational excursion at no additional cost.

As a Mom, Nurse and Teacher I have many ideas. I am not sure of the ages of the children, so some ideas may be too difficult.

1. Find out how many passengers are on the ship. This can lead to multiple mathematical problems- such as how much of a particular menu item would be needed to feed that amount of people.

2. Conversion of daily temperature to Celsius or finding distance traveled each day and converting to mile/kilometers

3. Speak with the ship doctor or nurse. They usually have some interesting

info on infection control, how to handle ship emergencies, personal stories...

4. Finding out and observing how technology has improved efficiency, safety and communication for cruises and travel.

5. Daily reflective journal

6. Trying to find a person on the ship from every state in the union, and ask them how they would describe their state in one or two words.

Just a few ideas, but I would also ask their teacher for ideas, as I have had parents and students ask me for some assignments to relate to their impending trips.

I loved geography as a child and still do. I think that is one reason I love to travel. I think learning is fun. Even on vacation.

Maybe you can tour the galley (kitchen).

Same here! Geography and history are the best! Every trip we take be it Europe or cape cod we always do educational stuff. Our college and high school dd's still absorb it like a sponge and are always asking how many day(s) have I set aside for educational stuff

Educational stuff is more so in Europe with a beach day or 2 on a Greek island

On the cape it is beach and water stuff mostly but the minute it is cloudy or rainy off we go to the educational spots!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went on an Adriatic cruise 2 years ago and my daughter made a lovely flip file of her experiences.

She then shared it with the class when she returned to school. She had a double page for each port with the flag, language spoken and what we had done. (This was first Grade level).

I think you have been given fantastic ideas from the previous posters. I would also suggest that your daughters can do a presentation of their findings for their classes.

I'm with Mr Roberts let them have fun

You wouldn't take them to Disney and start asking the staff about the different parts of the country they come from

I disagree. The World Showcase and Africa and the restaurants in the Animal Kingdom present many opportunities to meet and interact with international employees. Disney even promotes the activity with learning tables in each country and the Epcot passport. When my kids were very young, Epcot was their favorite park to visit for exactly these reasons. They usually presented their collected flag pins and photos back at school.

You can start by joining the roll call for your cruise and date, there you will have an opportunity to meet some of the officers which will give you a chance to corner one or two and possibly set up a short meeting. And if not with them then ask if it could be arranged with one of the dept mgrs.

Bring them to the meet and greet meeting, where they will be able to speak with some of the officers who attend.

Try to visit some of the Museums in Bermuda. They are very informative. Ciity Hall in Hamilton might also be a source of information. Take a tour and record a youtube if possible. Most important-------have lots of fun.

I would have them do their project prior to going on the cruise. Have them research the ship (where it was built, how many employees, etc.), employees (where they are from, how they get their jobs, etc.) the officers (what degrees and schooling they have to have), dining (how much food is brought onboard and served daily), etc. and then that way when they get on the ship they will fully appreciate everything that goes into them having a great time. They could share their project with the staff (especially the Captain and Hotel Director, who I'm sure would appeciate their work) and they could add to what they have researched.

What grade are your girls in?

Public/ private?

Our state has common core standards with state specific adaptations and no extra credit is allowed .

High school very strict about having all missed work turned in upon return from trip.

But I sure that you have already checked with the school

the specifics.

I would have them do their project prior to going on the cruise. Have them research the ship (where it was built, how many employees, etc.), employees (where they are from, how they get their jobs, etc.) the officers (what degrees and schooling they have to have), dining (how much food is brought onboard and served daily), etc. and then that way when they get on the ship they will fully appreciate everything that goes into them having a great time. They could share their project with the staff (especially the Captain and Hotel Director, who I'm sure would appeciate their work) and they could add to what they have researched.

Great idea

OP I know you asked for ideas on questions, but you haven't given the ages of the girls. That certainly would determine how in depth the questions would be. All staff on board appear quite busy, so I'm sure that they couldn't take much time, but any that we have had the opportunity to converse for a short time with, we just asked them to tell us about where they were from. They took the ball from there since they seemed quite excited to share about their country in general and their families, how long they were away, when they were going to return etc.

There is a museum on the island. Maybe a report on that instead of the crew?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

I disagree. The World Showcase and Africa and the restaurants in the Animal Kingdom present many opportunities to meet and interact with international employees. Disney even promotes the activity with learning tables in each country and the Epcot passport. When my kids were very young, Epcot was their favorite park to visit for exactly these reasons. They usually presented their collected flag pins and photos back at school.

When my kids were young the favourite park was universal islands of adventure why because it was fun