Getting to Brooklyn.

luckymal

We are doing a T/A round trip in a few weeks, this will be our 5th round trip, on our 1st we took a taxi from Red Hook into New York We found it quite stressful with the worry of getting back on time to the ship, the traffic was terrible, since then we walk to IKEA for a cup of coffee, feeling no pressure then back to the ship. But our next we fancy going into Brooklyn. 1. Is it walkable, 2. do you need a taxi what would the cost be? 3. Is there a local bus service from near the ship. Any help would grateful.:rolleyes:.

We are doing a T/A round trip in a few weeks, this will be our 5th round trip, on our 1st we took a taxi from Red Hook into New York We found it quite stressful with the worry of getting back on time to the ship, the traffic was terrible, since then we walk to IKEA for a cup of coffee, feeling no pressure then back to the ship. But our next we fancy going into Brooklyn. 1. Is it walkable, 2. do you need a taxi what would the cost be? 3. Is there a local bus service from near the ship. Any help would grateful.:rolleyes:.

Hi luckymal. Oh, there are so many interesting things to see in Brooklyn! Do you have any particular interests, i.e. historical sites, museums, architecture, favorite types of food? Just let us know, and we'll give you some ideas.

In the meantime, my personal favorite area in Brooklyn is Brooklyn Heights. (I lived there for several years.) You can walk there from the pier - if you love walking, otherwise it's less than a 10 minute cab ride. Here's an informative site: https://www.nycgo.com/boroughs-neighborhoods/brooklyn/brooklyn-heights

In addition to being close to the pier, Brooklyn Heights is also a lot cooler and quieter than Manhattan :)

Salacia

There are a couple of public transit options. There's a new ferry service that runs close to the pier and goes to Wall Street and a stop near the Brooklyn Bridge (I think that's close to Brooklyn heights.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2519678

https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

Before the ferry I used the B61 bus which stops pretty close to the pier and goes into downtown Brooklyn where there's subway service to Manhattan. I posted about that here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47304542&postcount=19

I don't know about the ferry but you would need US coins for the bus.

Roy

> I don't know about the ferry but you would need US coins for the bus.

If you use the ferry 'app' you can buy tickets online. At Wall Street there's an agent who takes cards. There's no agent at Red Hook, but I think there may be a vending machine, I'm not sure.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Forums mobile app

I would probably take some transportation from the port to get to a location in Brooklyn that you would want to walk.

A more pleasant option is to use Uber in lieu of a taxi.

Keith

Hi Keith. Why is using Uber " a more pleasant option" than hailing a cab at the Redhook pier? Just curious -thanks for your reply . -S.

In June we disembarked from the QM2 and took a Lyft car to an apartment we rented near downtown Brooklyn, and stayed there 2 weeks. We had a terrific time and have booked a return trip to another Brooklyn apartment before we board the QM2 in October. There are a lot of things to do in Brooklyn, including the Heights (as Salacia wrote), plus the Brooklyn Museum, the Botanical Gardens next to the museum, the Brooklyn Historical Society, lots of cool neighborhoods to stroll, tons of great restaurants and cafes. So figure out what you want to do, do some research, and have a great time. And Manhattan is just 15 to 30 minutes away.

Hi luckymal. Oh, there are so many interesting things to see in Brooklyn! Do you have any particular interests, i.e. historical sites, museums, architecture, favorite types of food? Just let us know, and we'll give you some ideas.

In the meantime, my personal favorite area in Brooklyn is Brooklyn Heights. (I lived there for several years.) You can walk there from the pier - if you love walking, otherwise it's less than a 10 minute cab ride. Here's an informative site: https://www.nycgo.com/boroughs-neighborhoods/brooklyn/brooklyn-heights

In addition to being close to the pier, Brooklyn Heights is also a lot cooler and quieter than Manhattan

Salacia

I think we may get a taxi into Brooklyn, and just wander around, one problem is not knowing time we set sail. Thanks for the info.;p

Is the R/T arriving and leaving the same day? If you want to sight see, its a pretty ambitious day.

Hi myfuzzy - that's the beauty of sightseeing in Brooklyn. Many choices of where to go and what to see - not far from the ship.

For example, hail a cab at the pier. Tell the cabbie you're going to the Brooklyn Heights Promenade, and to drop you off at Montague Street. https://www.nycgovparks.org/about/history/historical-signs/listings?id=136

Or maybe you finally clear Customs close to noon. Fancy a nice lunch in a traditional Italian Brooklyn restaurant? http://www.queenrestaurant.com/

There is a way to do interesting things and not have to worry about getting back to the ship when you're less than half an hour away from the port (walking at a moderate pace).

Oh and just to mention that both Yellow Taxi and Green Taxi are legal and frequent in Brooklyn, as are car services that have been previously mentioned.

Happy sails,

Salacia

I think we may get a taxi into Brooklyn, and just wander around, one problem is not knowing time we set sail. Thanks for the info.;p

luckymal, you're very welcome. The all aboard time will be posted, but I've planned on being on board no later than 3pm (14 embarkations from Red Hook, and I suppose we could have arrived later than 3pm, but I hate the drama of a late arrival.) The 'set sail time' can be quite variable, but the all aboard time is considered inviolate.

Wishing you a wonderful holiday,

Salacia

If one is up to to walking to Brooklyn Heights then it is easily an option to walk to Carroll Street Subway from where New York is your oyster...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/06/24/one-way-to-do-new-york-brooklyn-to-central-park-via-the-highline-walk/

CarrollStreetSubwayStationcopySR_zpsb78c9cff.jpg

Having said that I too found Brooklyn Heights a fun place to visit and of course, it's quite something to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge for that different aspect of New York.

luckymal, you're very welcome. The all aboard time will be posted, but I've planned on being on board no later than 3pm (14 embarkations from Red Hook, and I suppose we could have arrived later than 3pm, but I hate the drama of a late arrival.) The 'set sail time' can be quite variable, but the all aboard time is considered inviolate.

Wishing you a wonderful holiday,

Salacia

I like the comment "I hate the drama of a late arrival", that would mean to me "PANIC"

I myself have walked the Brookyn Bridge, been to the Promenade many times, there is a good Polish restaurant on Montigue st. We have also eaten at Juniors on Flatbush, we have found another Italian Restaurant, Queens, that we are having dinner this time in October again. Lots to do. We normally don't do Manhattan to much for one day. I didn't notice your link to the Queens Restaurant, doesn't look like much from the outside, but it sure is authentic.

We also go to Macy's and the drug store to get any last minute things we may need. Soda, snacks, meds.

We normally stay at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott, nicely located, we get a car service from La Guardia then the hotel gets us a car service from there to Red Hook.

Edited by myfuzzy