Grenada and Dominica...looking for suggestions

hardingk

Any suggestions on what to do in Grenada and Dominica with a 5 1/2 year old? Has anyone done the Creole Escapade in Grenada?

You will find answers if you post on the Granada/Dominica ports of call.

Dominica:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151

Grenada:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=429

While in Grenada last month, we took the water taxi over to Grand Anse beach. It is very nice. Cost is $4.00 pp, each way on water taxi. Tickets are right in the cruise terminal.

Dominica doesn't have much in the line of beaches. Many other excursions, depends on what you like to do. As the others have said, check out the ports of call for suggestions.

We did a half day inexpensive tour in Grenada (AJ Meddy) that took us to spice plantations. Grenada is a huge exporter of nutmeg and other spices. For me, this tour was more interesting that just going to another beach, and it left a little time afterwards for doing something else like taking the water taxi to the beach or exploring the town. There are a number of forts in the Caribbean, so this might not be much of an idea, but the fort right next to where you dock is a bit of a different fort. Except for its historical significance (and you'd have to google that - Reagan 1983 - Maurice Bishop) it's nothing special (just the old "rooms" and cannons mostly), but it has surprises - an old fitness center, a shoe repair shop, and a "look in only" clothing repair shop where police uniforms are repaired and sewn. It also has a decrepit lighthouse and a nice view of the Carenage harbor. You will do some huffing and puffing to get up there, but it's fun. Walking through the Sendall Tunnel is actually kind of fun, too. I didn't see the little Grenada train, but mostly I was out in the interior of the island rather than St. George's, so I may have missed it.

Can't really help you on Dominica, as we did Bumpiing's "Roseau Valley Treasures" tour and I would not take a youngster on that!

Edited by roothy123

Honestly, there is little in Dominica that I would take a young child to. Not lack of safety necessarily, just little of interest to a young one. The island itself is beautiful, but we have seen the sites, the town is small and unremarkable (as a tourist destination), so we now consider this a relaxing day on the ship. You may want to consider doing that.

In Grenada, I also recommend taking the water taxi over to Grand Anse beach. Most kids that age are really not enamored of the other types of tours (ZZZZZzzzzz), and are too young for most boating/snorkeling stuff.

Thank you for asking this! I have been trying to get answers to the same question since we'll be there in couple of weeks with our 4 year old twins and the Dominica and Grenada ports of call do not get much of action...:o

I have been trying to get an answer whether our girls can handle the walk to the Emerald pools but it seems either nobody has an opinion about it or has never been there...:rolleyes:

Thank you for asking this! I have been trying to get answers to the same question since we'll be there in couple of weeks with our 4 year old twins and the Dominica and Grenada ports of call do not get much of action...:o

I have been trying to get an answer whether our girls can handle the walk to the Emerald pools but it seems either nobody has an opinion about it or has never been there...:rolleyes:

If you're talking about the Emerald Pool in the rain forest, there should be no problem for your daughters. Its a dirt path, a bit steep in some place and if there are any fallen logs I'm sure you will be able to lift your daughters over them. Be warned, that Emerald Pool is very very cold. I live in Canada and I'm used to cold water but that water was cold!!

Also in Dominica, I would highly recommend the river tubing. I don't know if there is an age limit but it was among the best shore excursions we took. We went to the Emerald Pool on that excursion.

Enjoy your trip.

Looks like you are sailing 2 sailings before us! Would love to chat with you! Tried to send you a message, but couldn't figure out how!

Edited by hardingk

Another vote for Bumpiing Tours with Levi Baron- we had an awesome time hiking and snorkeling. Also - Extreme Dominica is a GREAT time. They have a few different tours- we did Canyoning and had a blast. Felt incredibly safe and in awe of how beautiful it was.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We went with with Woody's Off The Beaten Path Excursion in

Dominica & it was terrific. We drove around (in a land rover) all over the island & saw waterfalls, the rainforest, and ended up at a beautiful black sand beach where they filmed the Pirates of the Caribbean. It was a great day & we highly recommend this tour!

If you're talking about the Emerald Pool in the rain forest, there should be no problem for your daughters. Its a dirt path, a bit steep in some place and if there are any fallen logs I'm sure you will be able to lift your daughters over them. Be warned, that Emerald Pool is very very cold. I live in Canada and I'm used to cold water but that water was cold!!

Also in Dominica, I would highly recommend the river tubing. I don't know if there is an age limit but it was among the best shore excursions we took. We went to the Emerald Pool on that excursion.

Enjoy your trip.

Thank you for your reply!!! We definitely are going to try to go see it.:)

Looks like you are sailing 2 sailings before us! Would love to chat with you! Tried to send you a message, but couldn't figure out how!

Sorry I can't help you with the message thin, never done it myself.:o Maybe somebody here can help you with it. Something you wanted to ask?

Sorry I can't help you with the message thin, never done it myself.:o Maybe somebody here can help you with it. Something you wanted to ask?

There's no link to message you in your profile.

Are you going to sign the girls up for the Kids club?

There's no link to message you in your profile.

Are you going to sign the girls up for the Kids club?

Sorry, you are right there isn't any link...

We will definitely try to sign up the girls in the kids club, but I am not sure if they will stay there. Last time on our Disney cruise the girls refused to stay at the club so we did spent the whole week with them, no coffee breaks for mommy and daddy:rolleyes:

Hoping they have grown enough in a year to be brave enough to stay there this time, even just a little while.:)

Sorry, you are right there isn't any link...

We will definitely try to sign up the girls in the kids club, but I am not sure if they will stay there. Last time on our Disney cruise the girls refused to stay at the club so we did spent the whole week with them, no coffee breaks for mommy and daddy:rolleyes:

Hoping they have grown enough in a year to be brave enough to stay there this time, even just a little while.:)

We had the opposite problem on Disney! Pay daughter never wanted to leave the kids club!!! I worried that she will be bored on this cruise.

Would you be able to let me know how the kids clubs were when you return home from your sailing?

In Grenada, I also recommend taking the water taxi over to Grand Anse beach. Most kids that age are really not enamored of the other types of tours (ZZZZZzzzzz), and are too young for most boating/snorkeling stuff.

Grenada Seafaris Powerboat Adventure http://www.grenadaseafaris.com has taken kids as young as 2 and older kids up to 89. Contact them to see if suitable for your child. In general as I understand it those that are too young to snorkle often swim and check out the fish. Have a great day whatever you decide :cool:

We had the opposite problem on Disney! Pay daughter never wanted to leave the kids club!!! I worried that she will be bored on this cruise.

Would you be able to let me know how the kids clubs were when you return home from your sailing?

I'll try to remember to check back with you when we come back, hopefully I have something else to tell you other than the girls would not stay there...:o They are not used to being apart from us except when they are at preschool...

• 4 weeks later...

hopefully I am not too late ...

Our kids loved the Fun Factory!

I was surprised they actually stayed and wanted to go back after first time!:D

The Fun Factory is quite the opposite of the Disney Magic kids club. The Fun factory is small, lots of natural light and much more simple in décor. But my kids loved it! What was the biggest difference is the staff, they were awesome on Summit. The staff we constantly organizing activities an interacting with the kids, they seem like they had educational backround in child care and they actually seemed like they liked their job.

On Disney Magic the staff seemed like bored students who were there just to earn money for college...:rolleyes: I know it sounds harsh but they looked so uninterested towards the kids and tired. On Summit they remembered our kids name on the second day!

Anyway there isn't slides or computers on Summit, but what they have is a wonderful group on staff who are enthuastic about what they do. :)

Edited by cruiser77

to add about the fun Factory...

They had different themes on different times on each day, for example in the morning 'Aliens' themed activities, afternoon 'teddy bears' and in the evening 'pirates'. They actually took video of the Fun Factory Pirate party where our kids were and it ended up on the cruise video.:)

And to add about Grenada and Dominica... In Grenada we went to the Anse beach and it was safe for the kids, just look out for the sea urchins first to avoid stepping on them (just few on the rockier parts of the beach).

In Dominica we were supposed to do the Emerald pool, but the shore excursion desk on the ship told us it would be a very long taxi ride to get there, not a good idea with kids apparently. So we just walked around the market area around the pier a while and then went back to the ship. BTW, be prepared for the "hasslers" they come to you at full force as soon as you walk out of the gate at the dock...

Next time in Dominica will do more since the kids will be older.:)

Edited by cruiser77

to add about the fun Factory...

They had different themes on different times on each day, for example in the morning 'Aliens' themed activities, afternoon 'teddy bears' and in the evening 'pirates'. They actually took video of the Fun Factory Pirate party where our kids were and it ended up on the cruise video.:)

And to add about Grenada and Dominica... In Grenada we went to the Anse beach and it was safe for the kids, just look out for the sea urchins first to avoid stepping on them (just few on the rockier parts of the beach).

In Dominica we were supposed to do the Emerald pool, but the shore excursion desk on the ship told us it would be a very long taxi ride to get there, not a good idea with kids apparently. So we just walked around the market area around the pier a while and then went back to the ship. BTW, be prepared for the "hasslers" they come to you at full force as soon as you walk out of the gate at the dock...

Next time in Dominica will do more since the kids will be older.:)

Thank you so much for all of this!!! We leave on Saturday so it was perfect timing!! Glad to hear your girls had a great time!

Edited by hardingk

Btw, how was the ship and the service elsewhere? I have read some mixed reviews. Hoping you had a great experience!

Well the ship was in surprisingly good condition considering it is an old ship, only place it was really showing its age was our bathroom, especially shower. That did not ruin our cruise: D

Service was good except at the pool bar, long lines, staff looking like they hated their job and the customers (not only one who commented on this at the ship). This could have been just tired staff that might be different on your cruise... Again did not affect our cruise:)

Loved the size of the ship, SO easy with the kids to walk around, everything seemed to be close by. And I was surprised that they even allowed kids on few of the Jacuzzis when supervised!

I can not think of anything else at the moment, let me know if there is something else... :)