Newbie - Some questions

markoCR

Hi everyone,

Going on our first cruise in August, it's our honeymoon and we're both really looking forward to it.

We're travelling on Vision of the Seas from Barcelona around the Med, leaving on the 20th of August, I've posted in the Roll Call section of the forum so hoping to meet a few others on the same cruise!

Like most other new cruisers I have loads of questions. The majority I have managed to find in other threads, but there are still some I'm not sure about.

----------------------------

Firstly, on days where we are at port, what time are we expected to be back on the ship? For example, if it states that we are leaving at 19.00, should we be back by 18.00, or is it ok to get back for 18.45? Obviously we aren't going to cut it too fine, but both of us enjoy exploring and we want to make as much of the time at port as possible. We have both travelled a lot and so are going to be doing a lot of things ourselves rather than relying on organised excursions.

A couple of questions regarding the cabins, are the sockets American or European? As we live in Spain we obviously have European plugs for most things, will we need to take adaptors?

Also, what is the currency on the boat? Dollars or Euros? Is it worth taking some dollars just in case? We have pre paid gratuities but I'm sure we will make some purchases on board.

For now I think that's all, this is a great forum and it's been helping me a lot with the planning, so thank you all!

Also I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Royal Caribbean section, apologies if it's in the wrong place.

Edited by markoCR

Firstly, on days where we are at port, what time are we expected to be back on the ship? For example, if it states that we are leaving at 19.00, should we be back by 18.00, or is it ok to get back for 18.45? NO. you mus tbe on board a minimum of 30 minutes before scheduled departure. as you get off at each stop a sign will be predominately displayed that reminds you when you mustbe back o n baord( keeping in mind that ship's time and local time do not always match)

A couple of questions regarding the cabins, are the sockets American or European? As we live in Spain we obviously have European plugs for most things, will we need to take adaptors? BOTH. there will be at least one European plug available.

Also, what is the currency on the boat? Dollars or Euros? Is it worth taking some dollars just in case? We have pre paid gratuities but I'm sure we will make some purchases on board. on board is cashless, save a few times..room service for one.

Also I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Royal Caribbean section, apologies if it's in the wrong place.

to get cruiseline or ship specific info, definitely use the Royal Boards.

to get cruiseline or ship specific info, definitely use the Royal Boards.

Thank you very much for the quick reply and the useful information. Sorry I should have been more specific regarding the last question, I was referring to things like tips with room service. Would it be ok to tip with euros or would dollars be better?

Thank you very much for the quick reply and the useful information. Sorry I should have been more specific regarding the last question, I was referring to things like tips with room service. Would it be ok to tip with euros or would dollars be better?

Dollars are probably preferred but Euro's will also be accepted.

Keep in mind the exchange rate for Euro's. The room service tip is

usually between $1 to $5 USD depending on the order.

Dollars are probably preferred but Euro's will also be accepted.

Keep in mind the exchange rate for Euro's. The room service tip is

usually between $1 to $5 USD depending on the order.

You are in Europe, the crew does occasionally get a few hours ashore, I would think they might appreciate Euros to spend. Maybe ask them when you are aboard?

Take the adapters with you. There are more U.S. plugs than EU plugs. We used both by taking adapters.

We hired a driver for the ports because we wanted to make sure that we got back to the port in plenty of time, and knew this would give us a way to see more with limited time, while still having a bit of insurance that they would get us back there, even if something went wrong.

Hi everyone,

Firstly, on days where we are at port, what time are we expected to be back on the ship? For example, if it states that we are leaving at 19.00, should we be back by 18.00, or is it ok to get back for 18.45? Obviously we aren't going to cut it too fine, but both of us enjoy exploring and we want to make as much of the time at port as possible. ...

Welcome to Cruise Critic MarkoCR and Congratulations on your wedding.

Since this is your first cruise it's a good idea to book excursions with the cruise line. If the ship excursion is late returning the ship will wait for you.

I always make a plan to be back aboard the ship at least two hours before sailing. Fifteen minutes before the ship leaves is not a good idea.

It's always good to account for traffic, delays and various scenarios. Best to be back aboard relaxing instead of stressing about getting back to the port.

Looks like a fabulous itinerary with France, Italy, Turkey and the Greek Isles. Have wonderful cruise.

Jonathan

We always make certain that we are back on the ship at least 1 hour before it sails.

As a newbie to cruising, and if you have never been to those ports before (traveling on land tours), I highly recommend that you book the ship's excursions. Once you are familiar with a port, in the future you will feel more at ease exploring on your own. The ship does wait for their excursions but not for independent excursion people. We have seen too many people miss the ship.

Also, besides needing cash for tips for room service, some people will tip crew/staff extra at the end of the cruise that have made their cruise an enjoyable one.

Thank you all very much for the advice/info, it's much appreciated. Like most people I'm sure, missing the ship is the one fear I have, so we'll make sure to leave plenty of time to get back in case of any unexpected delay.

They really don't care.

In that area they will get a variety and the on board banking will take care of it. Euro are perhaps best because they can use it there and then if they get port time.

It is also where cruise excursions come into a class of their own, you WILL pay more, but there is peace of mind. Having said that tour operators can't afford to get you back late either they'd loose to much business and risk a law suit.

If there is a daily service charge on your cruise there is no need to tip additionally if you don’t want too. I usually give something extra to room stewards as they work very hard. Also all cruises I've been on bar tips are automatically added to bar bill and there is no need to tip again even though there is a line on bill you sign for, unless you want to that is.