How early is too early for FLL flight?

Mommyof1

We're sailing out of Ft Lauderdale and it's our first time leaving from this port. Our ship is due to arrive 6:15a, but I know that can vary. We haven't even figure out how to get to the airport after disembarking, but is a 11:39a flight too early? The next flight would be 3:43p but it's almost $200 more per person (you would think flying into DFW, a major hub, there'd be more non-stop options).

Also, any tips on airport transfer would be greatly appreciated.

We're sailing out of Ft Lauderdale and it's our first time leaving from this port. Our ship is due to arrive 6:15a, but I know that can vary. We haven't even figure out how to get to the airport after disembarking, but is a 11:39a flight too early? The next flight would be 3:43p but it's almost $200 more per person (you would think flying into DFW, a major hub, there'd be more non-stop options).

You should be fine with that flight. You will want to be at the airport by 10:10 to give you plenty of time to get thru security. Considering that most ships want everyone off by 9:30 or so you wouldn't even need to do self disembarkation (but if you are nervous of course that is an option). A taxi from the port to the airport is less than a 15 minute ride and costs around $15.

Dozens of threads here on the topic. Summary: After 11am is fine, and many people have rushed off the ship for flights after 10am successfully. It all depends on your stress level, and are you fully mobile, and able to carry your own bags off to be in the first group or two off your ship. You also need to grab a cab.

For an 11:39 flight you need to be at FLL by about 10 - earlier is better with TSA chaos. The cab ride from PE to FLL takes all of about 15 minutes (and costs about $15) - do not bother waiting for a shuttle to fill or looking for your Uber driver. I agree with the others - you should be okay.

I always take an 11:45 flight home from FLL. I use the luggage valet program which gives me my boarding pass on the ship and do early walk off and am at the airport by 7:30. I go right through security since I don't have to check a bag and then find a nice place to eat breakfast and kill time until my flight.

I booked my flight for 11:49 am in Dec. Unless you have priority disembarkation I would do self-assist disembarkation just to be safe.

That flight time is easy. It's the ones people try to make before 10:00 that take nerves of steel.

I wouldn't see the need to self carry bags so early. Rather than sit 4 hours at the airport, have a nice breakfast and leave the ship by 8:15. You'll be at the airport by 9. Cab is easy and direct.

Edited by eandj

We have a similar dilemma although the later flights for us are cheaper but we don't want to get home at 10pm on a Sunday. Our travel agent, who also sails with us, has booked she and her DH on the 10:45 a.m. flight out of FLL on Sunday, 9/11. I just don't have those kind of nerves; we are watching the 11:50am flight hoping for a price drop.

I've heard that there will be 5 ships in port that day so I can only imagine the chaos at the airport!

Good luck with your decision!

We have a similar dilemma although the later flights for us are cheaper but we don't want to get home at 10pm on a Sunday. Our travel agent, who also sails with us, has booked she and her DH on the 10:45 a.m. flight out of FLL on Sunday, 9/11. I just don't have those kind of nerves; we are watching the 11:50am flight hoping for a price drop.

I've heard that there will be 5 ships in port that day so I can only imagine the chaos at the airport!

5 ships is not a lot. 6 is probably average on a weekend during the "season". Port Everglades just set a recent daily record of 58K pax, or something like that. They probably had 9 ships that day.

Good luck getting a price drop during peak demand flight time (11:50) on a weekend.

. Our travel agent, who also sails with us, has booked she and her DH on the 10:45 a.m. flight out of FLL on Sunday, 9/11. I just don't have those kind of nerves; we are watching the 11:50am flight hoping for a price drop.

As mentioned, 5 ships in port is nothing. Sept. is a slower cruising season. (hurricane /shoulder season)

Normally I'd say go for the flight with your TA. We have used it often. HOWEVER... since it is 9/11, security will be much tighter and slower. I'd really have to fight the nerves on THAT particular weekend. I'd go for the 11:50 flight. Book it now as the rates will only go up.

Edited by eandj