Explain Cozumel to me

briehon

Ok so there is an island, Cozumel, that is where the ship ports right? I'm going to be on RCCl Freedom of the Seas. Then most people take a ferry over to the mainland, Playa del Carmen, for excursions? Is there anything to do on the island itself? Even shopping? I'm doing a morning excursion on the island and have a few more hours, not sure I have time to get over to the mainland and back for anything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok so there is an island, Cozumel, that is where the ship ports right? I'm going to be on RCCl Freedom of the Seas. Then most people take a ferry over to the mainland, Playa del Carmen, for excursions? Is there anything to do on the island itself? Even shopping? I'm doing a morning excursion on the island and have a few more hours, not sure I have time to get over to the mainland and back for anything.

There is plenty to do on Cozumel. Shopping, bar hop, beach time, Jeep tours etc. There's really nothing on the Mainland that I would say is a must see especially with the limited times in port.

I would say the percentage of people who take the ferry to the mainland is very small. Most people take an excursion on the island itself, either privately or through the ship, or stay around the port or go to the main town.

Be aware, if you need to return independently to the pier, there are three piers on Cozumel. On Freedom you will most likely, but please confirm, dock at International Pier which is a few miles south of the main town, San Miguel. Shopping available in San Miguel or at each pier.

Lots of regular postings on this forum, just read the last page or two to get a feeling of things to do on the island.

Spent 3 full days in Coz on the NCL Escape averting Hurricane Irma. We enjoyed every day. We went to Chankanaab Park, did an all inclusive beach day, a lot of shopping, went parasailing, amd went to La Choza, a yummy restaurant. Plenty to do and we weren't even expected to be there any of those days.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

We are doing the ATV tomJade caverns in the morning so I'm looking just to do a little shopping or maybe just relax in the beach if there is one close. Or possibly have some authentic lunch.

If that's a ship excursion, it's on the island. They will bring you back to the pier.

Never understood what people mean bu "authentic" lunch. Authentic in Coz would be Yucatan cuisine. You'll need to head downtown for that. Authentic could also mean, street food and there used to be a truck outside the old international pier entrance; not sure, if still there, since they did the renovations and the building of the mall and Margaritaville across the street. For others it's just regular Mexican style food that's other than Taco Bell or the ElPaso stuff you buy in supermarkets.

Depending upon ship departure time, you're best bet for a beach would probably be a short walk toward town to Sunset Beach. Otherwise, you'll need to head via taxi to one of the beaches south of the piers.

There is plenty to do on Cozumel. Shopping, bar hop, beach time, Jeep tours etc. There's really nothing on the Mainland that I would say is a must see especially with the limited times in port.

Yes there is plenty on Coz for you to look at. Going to the Yucatan offers other choices if you have a longer port time (10+ hrs) and you want to experience more or you've just already experienced what Coz has to offer.

Cozumel probably has more excursion choices that all of the other Caribbean ports. Its pretty much the port that has everything with the exception of mountain climbing and snow skiing! :D

Not really accurate, but Palancar is an excellent snorkel and dive location, and the beaches are beautiful. Really depends on what you are interested in doing, and you can find more info on other sites like tripadvisor, locogringo, etc.