Dress code Alaska cruise

mrobinson

what is the dress code on an Alaskan cruise. We have been on numerous other Carribean cruises but never Holland.

We will be doing one week pre cruise land trip in our own, followed by Seward to Vancouver one week cruise.

What do people wear to dinner in Alaskan cruises? Is it more casual than carribean cruises? What about formal nights? Would among sleeve shirt and tie and khaki pants be sufficient for the men?

Have done 2 HAL Alaska cruises and going on my 3rd in June. Alaska cruises are very casual, just come prepared for everything from Hot weather, Rain and Fleece and hats for glaciers and chilly days. You always see a handful of people all sparkly on Formal Nights. But Kahaki slacks and a shirt will perfectly fine for your hubby. I am partial to cute Chicos and J Jill outfits. What you might wear to a nice restaurant is always acceptable.

You will see lots of blue jeans and t ****s during the day. Have a great cruise!

(Odd I wrote T Shirts and CC did the *** thing) [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The dress code in Alaska is the same as on every other itinerary. It doesn't change; how much people adhere to it does, though.

Daytime is very casual. Evening is smart casual, meaning a collared shirt and long slacks for men; comparable degree for women.

Holland America no longer has formal nights, but rather has Gala nights instead. People are encouraged to dress up more on Gala nights, but the minimum level is at least smart casual.

The dress code has changed quite a bit on HAL the last few years.

There are no longer formal nights -- now called gala nights. But very few people dress up for that.

Men wear slacks and collared shirts. Men no longer have to wear jackets and/or ties -- not even in the specialty restaurants.

Ladies wear slacks or skirts with nice tops or dresses.

You will see very, very few men in suits and/tuxedos on an Alaskan cruise. Those days are gone.

We were told the gala night dress on a Caribbean cruise would be very casual so for the first time DH left his tux at home and I ditched my long black gown. Yet we saw more people dressing up on that Caribbean cruise (tuxes and long gowns) than we had seen on some of the recent ones after formal night became gala night. So dress to your own comfort level, but we no longer think the actual itinerary matters.

But we do remember the dining room to be cold on our Alaska cruise - lots of window glass and the night time air is very cold up that way. So you might want to think at least a sport coat for your husband and not just a shirt.

On my last AK cruise I saw the gamut.

I went to the MDR on the "formal" night as it was known then in a skirt & solid shirt with a scarf. I might have been a tad underdressed, but no one seemed to mind.

I'm preparing for the same sort of outfit on my upcoming AK cruise. My son on the other hand just got a new shirt/tie/slacks

I'm rather glad for selfish reasons. My sister and I are doing a cruise tour at the end of August, and we'll only be on board for 3 nights. Having to pack a special outfit just for one night of a 14-day itinerary would be frustrating, especially since I tend to be a light packer and don't want to take anything that won't be used several times during a trip.

My plan is to wear some slacks that I generally wear to the office and a nice blouse and jewelry. It sounds like that would be okay. Let me know if it isn't. ;)

I had asked the same question a while back as we are going on our first Alaskan cruise in September. Was hoping to get away with not bringing a suit/sports jacket for the first time but my wife wants pictures of us dressed up on Gala Night........:(

I'm rather glad for selfish reasons. My sister and I are doing a cruise tour at the end of August, and we'll only be on board for 3 nights. Having to pack a special outfit just for one night of a 14-day itinerary would be frustrating, especially since I tend to be a light packer and don't want to take anything that won't be used several times during a trip.

My plan is to wear some slacks that I generally wear to the office and a nice blouse and jewelry. It sounds like that would be okay. Let me know if it isn't. ;)

For a good look at easy to pack, lightweight, special tops just survey what eBay has for the brand "Alex Evenings tops" that all go with a simple black skirt or pants. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=alex+evenings&_dmd=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC1.A0.H0.Xalex+evenings+tops.TRS0&_nkw=alex+evenings+tops&_sacat=0

Yes, that's within the guidelines.

Our Alaska cruise was back before the change from "formal" to "gala." I think the overall level of dress at dinner was more casual than I've seen on our Bermuda, Canada, or Caribbean cruises, both before and after the dress code change. We're going to Alaska again this summer and seriously debating whether DH will take a jacket. It would be a first for us if he didn't.

... You will see very, very few men in suits and/tuxedos on an Alaskan cruise. Those days are gone.

Of course suits and tuxedos are not required, but neither are they banned. On our Alaska cruise a year and a half ago I was pleased to see so many men with suits (or at least jackets and ties). I was not the only man to wear a tuxedo. There have been trip reports mentioning that more people dressed formally than the reviewer expected.

From my limited experience on HAL, you can see anything from T-shirts and baseball caps to traditional formal wear.

There will be at least one man in a tuxedo on our Alaska cruise. My husband and I both enjoy dressing formally for dinner. It makes the dining seem special. It also makes it seem more like vacation since we dress so casually every other time of the year.

There will be at least one man in a tuxedo on our Alaska cruise. My husband and I both enjoy dressing formally for dinner. It makes the dining seem special. It also makes it seem more like vacation since we dress so casually every other time of the year.

My husband will also be in a tux. We live the chance to dress up formally when on holiday :)

My wife and I live in jeans 7 days a week. During our August trip on the NA I won't be wearing a tux or suit but will be wearing a sports jacket and tie on the two Gala evenings plus our one evening I've booked for Pinncale Grill.