Singapore Currency

Martezz

You will get a better rate using either a debit/cash-card (not a credit card!) at an ATM or exchanging US$ notes at one of the many money-changers in Singapore than at any bank in the USA.

Just make sure your bank knows that you will be traveling and "unlocks" your debit card for use outside of the USA.

You will get a better rate using either a debit/cash-card (not a credit card!) at an ATM or exchanging US$ notes at one of the many money-changers in Singapore than at any bank in the USA.

Just make sure your bank knows that you will be traveling and "unlocks" your debit card for use outside of the USA.

Thanks for the tip ..

We will be spending 3 days in Singapore prior to boarding our ship. Is it better to exchange US dollars for Singapore dollars in the US or wait until we get to Singapore?

Change you US$'s once you arrive....we changed a few at the money changers near the taxi line when we arrived into Singapore late at night...Then we used the money changers near our Royal Plaza Hotel as we needed it...JMHO....but I prefer to not use any foreign ATM.

A good place to find money changers is in the Lucky Mall in Orchard Road. They have rates better than banks at home and they are trustworthy.

In addition to the above is the Far East Plaza just around the corner on Scott's Road across from the Royal Plaza Hotel....This is where the money changers were that we used.

If you changing large amount, you get better rates from "out of town" area money changers.

A good place to find money changers is in the Lucky Mall in Orchard Road. They have rates better than banks at home and they are trustworthy.

I suppose you meant Lucky Plaza. :)

ATMs in Singapore are quite safe to use, and that is by far the best method of getting the local currency. If you don't want to use an Asian bank's ATM look for Citibank ones, they are all over the city, however I've never had a problem using any ATM in Singapore and I've been there a number of times.

• 2 weeks later...
We will arrive at the Airport. To pay a cab to go downtown - what about getting local currency at the Airport? ATM or ?

Thank you for your help.

See my post above #5.....We changed enough for our taxi ride...very late at night (early am) and the only one open was the outside one by the taxi line...easy to do and very convenient.

I always think that's a good idea to arrive at a foreign destination with at least $50 of local currency in your pocket - a sort of 'just in case' insurance against any problems. It gives me a little sense of security:D

Having travelled to Singapore several times I've exchanged money each and every way. Singapore is a modern first world city. They have ATMs everywhere that are safe and easy to use. Money changers are in abundance in the many shopping centres, near all major hotels and along the streets. Just be aware that most money changers don't open very early (more like 10/11oclock in the morning) & this can hamper early morning exploration & cash purchases if you haven't got prepared, but then they do stay open late at night. I have used both credit and debit cards, without any problems, and without any exhoberant or unexpected fees when converted back home. But mostly I take cash & convert every couple of days as I need:rolleyes:(helps me budget!!;))

Singapores taxis are very clean and modern and you can pay by credit or debit card. Same if you travel by MRT.

Have a wonderful time in Singapore & lovely cruise :)

I live in Singapore so I think I can offered good advice.

Money changer are abundant everywhere, mostly in shopping mall downtown and MRT major stations. (MRT is Singapore subway/train system)

For reference rates, here is an online web http://www.mustafa.com.sg/frmForex.aspx

US$ are also accepted in major departmental stores but obviously rates are not good.

Plenty of money changers and ATMs at the airport and open all hour of the day - don't sweat about getting Singapore $ irrespective of the time your arrive

"Money changers at the airport open all hours of the day"....Not true...the only money changers we could find in the very early am hours was one outside by the taxi stand....the other's were closed much to our surprise.

"Money changers at the airport open all hours of the day"....Not true...the only money changers we could find in the very early am hours was one outside by the taxi stand....the other's were closed much to our surprise.

There is at least one money changer open 24 hours at each of the Singapore Terminals operated by a major Singapore bank as well as ATMs galore.

Check the Changi airport site for the location of the 24 hour money changers