Roundtrip Hawaii

rkr

We are looking for a cruise that will allow us a roundtrip US mainland to Hawaii, stay for 1 to 2 weeks, and then sail back to US. Are there any cruise lines that do this? We are thinking 2018....anytime of the year.

Thanks for all your help!

Kathy:)

I've never seen any cruise line that sails one-way cruises to Hawaii from US West Coast ports probably because they'd have to stop in Ensenada to be legal. I have seen one-way cruises between Hawaii and Vancouver BC however those are only one time repositioning cruises.

If the US would eliminate the PVSA requirement, I think the itinerary you asked about would be a very popular option.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Interesting that you can sail from Vancouver to Hawaii......but not from Hawaii to Vancouver....

So if I sail from Vancouver and not Seattle to Hawaii, can't I catch another cruise back to Vancouver from Hawaii..... surely the ship that brought me to Hawaii has to go somewhere...

so why not where I want to go..... LOL!!

Thanks for your replies.

Kathy:eek:

Interesting that you can sail from Vancouver to Hawaii......but not from Hawaii to Vancouver....

So if I sail from Vancouver and not Seattle to Hawaii, can't I catch another cruise back to Vancouver from Hawaii..... surely the ship that brought me to Hawaii has to go somewhere...

Thanks for your replies.

Royal Carribean do a repositioning cruise from Hawaii to Vancouver - usually around May time - then Vancouver to Hawaii about Sept.

Princess do a Vancouver round trip - but literally down round and back - you will have to be naughty and get thrown off in Hawaii!!!! ha ha ha

Thanks for your replies.

No, you can sail from Vancouver to Hawaii, and from Hawaii back to Vancouver. Because the two cruises either begin or end in a foreign port, the PVSA does not apply. However, as noted above, most of these cruises are "repositioning" cruises, where the ship is being redeployed from Alaska to another home port for a season. Vancouver to Hawaii tends to be in September, and Hawaii to Vancouver tends to be in May.

If you are looking at cruising between the West Coast and Hawaii because you do not want to fly it will be difficult. I think there is one-one way cruise a year from San Diego to Hawaii but I think you would have to make your return one way to Vancouver. And each cruise leg is 10-12 days so you would need about a month to be able to do this if including a 1-2 week land vacation. And, getting home from Vancouver could be an issue. Celebrity has several one way legs to and from Vancouver. I also wish one ways from California were available. 2018 gives you time to search. Cherie

With the crossing from the West Coast taking 5 days then cruises would need to be 10 days to have some time to island-hop. And adding Ensenada for US ports to meet the PVSA takes up more time.

In 1992 we sailed a 5-day repositioning cruise on the original Pacific Princess from SD to Honolulu. We arrived at Princess's SD hotel, had a buffet dinner & were transferred to Ensenada by bus for an 11:00 pm sailaway.

Edited by Astro Flyer

... I don't know why the ship sailed from SD to Ensenada to board passengers instead of boarding in SD and making a stop in Ensenada. :confused: We arrived at Princess's SD hotel, had a buffet dinner & were transferred to Ensenada by bus for an 11:00 pm sailaway.

Because this way it was legal - the SHIP moved you from a non-US port to a US port. Ensenada, like Victoria, is only a PVSA-compliance stop on Closed Loop cruises as neither is Distant.

Because this way it was legal - the SHIP moved you from a non-US port to a US port. Ensenada, like Victoria, is only a PVSA-compliance stop on Closed Loop cruises as neither is Distant.

Thanks...I edited my other post because being nearly 25 years ago I wasn't positive if the ship sailed empty to Ensenada or went there directly at the end of its previous cruise. :o

You may be interested in looking at http://www.hawaiiancruiseguide.com. If you select your port of departure it will give you the RT and OW cruises scheduled through 2017. This may give you some idea of 2018. I know I looked at a Celebrity OW from Los Angeles or San Diego but it looks like it does not exist anymore. Good luck. Cherie

Thanks for posting that helpful website & I've bookmarked it for reference.

You may be interested in looking at http://www.hawaiiancruiseguide.com. If you select your port of departure it will give you the RT and OW cruises scheduled through 2017. This may give you some idea of 2018. I know I looked at a Celebrity OW from Los Angeles or San Diego but it looks like it does not exist anymore. Good luck. Cherie

This is a good resource, thanks for posting. I see that it does not list for some reason, the 10 day repositioning of the Norwegian Jewel from Vancouver to Hawaii on 10-03-17 ( Vancouver, Hilo, Kona, Maui, Kauai, Honolulu ) and then the 17 day from Hawaii to Pape'ete, Tahiti on 10-13-17 ( Honolulu, Kauai, Hilo, Nuku Hiva, Fakarava, Bora Bora, Moorea, Papeete ). The ship leaves Pape'ete on 10-25 for the 17 day trip down to Sydney with 9 stops through the islands ( Pape'ete, Raiatea, Bora Bora, Pago Pago, Apia, Suva, Lautoka, Port Villa, Isles of Pines, Noumea, Sydney ). We are starting in Honolulu and doing the 29 days all the way to Sydney. Others on our Roll Call are starting in Vancouver and will continue with an Australian cruise after reaching Sydney.

OWs won't start from SD or LA because of the PVSA.

OWs won't start from SD or LA because of the PVSA.

I understand that and feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but we were looking at a Celebrity OW. It must have been from SD but you actually started in Ensenada. The reason we were looking at it is because we plan on moving to Hawaii and thought it would be a nice way to make the trip over. It's not a big deal and I understand what everyone says about the PVSA. I, for one though, wish the restrictions did not exist. Oh, well.

I understand that and feel like I'm beating a dead horse, but we were looking at a Celebrity OW. It must have been from SD but you actually started in Ensenada. The reason we were looking at it is because we plan on moving to Hawaii and thought it would be a nice way to make the trip over. It's not a big deal and I understand what everyone says about the PVSA. I, for one though, wish the restrictions did not exist. Oh, well.

I completely understood what you were saying. :)

Thank You!!!!!!!! Sometimes I fear I spend too much time on the beach!!! Cherie

Or maybe not enough time of the beach? :p

If you decide to move to Hawaii, hopefully it's everything that you've envisioned & more. Although it will be a different experience when working than as a visitor or a retiree. ;)

Many of us wish the PVSA would go away. To us, the final day of the Hawaiian cruise has become a stationery day at sea. Don't care for Ensenada at all.

Many, many thanks to each and everyone who has posted information on my wishful thinking cruise to Hawaii and back!

You have given me resources and new information about the how and why of it all!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

K:D