Ross stores?

Gingee

I think some of you have mentioned that you find good deals at Ross stores? Do I have the right name? Anyway I just saw a sign a couple miles from me about a Ross store coming to our town. Can you tell me more about the store?

For me, Ross is one of those stores that I have to visit regularly in order to find great things. They carry everything from baby clothes to housewares.

I've gotten a designer blouse for $2 or a great dress for $12.99. I've gotten clothes for the kids, a new pillow, a pair of sparkly sandals for me, and a rug for the dining room all in the same trip. :)

Go with an open mind and be prepared to look. They also maintain clearance sections that are worth a look too. Have fun!

I love Ross! It is definitely hit or miss, and sometimes things are mis-sized, etc., but lots of bargains. Ours has cut back on tops and pants, but has racks and racks of dresses. I regularly find dresses (casual and cocktail) for under $10.

It's a discount store.....some 1st run items, but some are seconds, so look carefully at any items you wish to buy. I get some great deals on everyday stuff..$5-12 on shirts and usually under $25 for jeans/slacks!

It's one of those stores where you have to have plenty of time...you have to go through each item on the racks (and there are alot of racks!) to find your "bargain"....this is not a quick "run in" place! You will find "name brand" items...but you gotta look!

Our two local Ross stores are awful; trashy, unorganized and rarely have interesting/good buys in clothing, but they are great for dog toys. Just depends on the store.

The local Marshalls is much better, and I miss having a TJ Maxx close by, as that was the very best for great buys. As stated, it's always hit or miss anyway, and you need to have lots of time to wade through the racks.

Got my step DD her last 2 dressy dresses for school dances @ Ross down by me. Could not beat the price! The first one was 7.99 and the last one was 9.00. Both times she said everyone was complimenting her all night!

I don't find a lot there for me but I am very hard to fit! Although I find alot of household items and this past summer got a really cute bikini swim suit for I beleive 15.99(ish) it was some designer but since I am not really into name brands I didn't know who it was .I was very surprised when I came home and looked it up on line and found out each piece sells in department stores for 50 to 80 dollars :D yay me!!

I think some of you have mentioned that you find good deals at Ross stores? Do I have the right name? Anyway I just saw a sign a couple miles from me about a Ross store coming to our town. Can you tell me more about the store?

I have found a dress for the formal nights at Ross here in Birmingham, AL for each of our cruises. Each dress was $20 or under and very pretty. i chose ones that were in between, not too formal not too casual but they have all. I think you can never go wrong with Ross.

I love Ross, and have found some incredible dresses there. I bought a business dess that I'll wear for work and my next cruise casual. Boat neck and sleeve with bloused top and draped skirt. I got it in a black in white print.

I went a few weeks later and got the same dress in midnight blue for my Mom (she's 72) and she looked fantatsitic. I also got her a long formal for her up coming Trans Atlantic. Black, drape necked, shirring on the mid sesction, with a little bit of gold glitter, It fit her size 8/10 perfect, did not even need hemming. One dress weas $19.99 and the other $29.99. Both absolutely gorgeous on her.

I also picked up some casual wear and a fabulous draped jersy formal Calvin Klein for $39.00 or something like that. Great except for lenth.

But with Ross you have to go ever couple of week and see the best stuff as soon as it arrives. If the store is frequented by trash people, things will be strewn about. The one in the small town in one direction is always better organized than the one in the bigger town but near the center ow town . If you do find something you like and you need a size up or down, you can call another one close by and see if they have it in stock .

I like to get teen graduation and dance gowns there because they are usually under $20.

A Ross just opened up a few miles from me about 2 months ago. With all the talk about it on this board, I had to go check it out! (Plus, I love a bargin).

It is in a new shopping center. Ross had only opened a few days before when I stopped in and the merchandise was VERY sparse! So, I went back about a week ago and still found the merchandise very sparse....maybe they will get more things in with the holiday coming up?

I will say the prices seem to be even better then stores like TJMaxx....from what I could tell.

A very clean and well organized store, though! :). And I did manage to find a few items! :). I think I may become a Ross fan too.

Ross has low prices but I never find anything I would like to wear there. The clothing seems to be way behind the times in fashion and mostly made of inexpensive fabrics. I would say the same of Burlington. TJMaxx seems to be the most up to date and highest quality of this type of discount store.

Ross has low prices but I never find anything I would like to wear there. The clothing seems to be way behind the times in fashion and mostly made of inexpensive fabrics. I would say the same of Burlington. TJMaxx seems to be the most up to date and highest quality of this type of discount store.

You can't paint them with such a broad brush. Yes, there are things that you describe, but it's not everything in the store. Donna Ricco, Jones New York, Adrienne Pappell, Michael Kors, Rafaella, Kasper, Teva, Clarks, Nina, Cavin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger are names I see all the time.

Ross may not look as nice as TJMaxx but the brands are there. Here where I live, both stores are side by side. Any number of times I have seen the same things at both stores at the same time and Ross is always less.

As people have noted, some stores are better than others.

I do not live near a Ross, but have shopped at different ones in the South. What I have found comparing TJMaxx in the Detroit area is that each one gets merchandise geared towards the type of shopper in the immediate area. There is one that routinely gets designer stuff from NYC that is still extremely expensive. Marshalls here does it the same-- some get the better stuff, because it sells and doesn't have to go to the clearance rack.

On the same note, I have found some Ross stores to have better quality merchandise than others.

You can't paint them with such a broad brush. Yes, there are things that you describe, but it's not everything in the store. Donna Ricco, Jones New York, Adrienne Pappell, Michael Kors, Rafaella, Kasper, Teva, Clarks, Nina, Cavin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger are names I see all the time.

Ross may not look as nice as TJMaxx but the brands are there. Here where I live, both stores are side by side. Any number of times I have seen the same things at both stores at the same time and Ross is always less.

As people have noted, some stores are better than others.

I agree with this.

Yes there is a lot of cr*p in there at times and some of the dresses are definitely cheap looking but other times you can snag something decent, including the names above and I have also found Ralf Lauren, DKNY, Diane VF, Clairborne, Betsy Johnson, Juicy Couture, Armani Exchange and more, it is all about timing.

We have dozens around us and some stores have better merchandise depending on the demographics of the neighborhood.

One of my clients manages a TJ Maxx and they get better merchandise as they are in a desirable zip. I am not a fan really of the clothes in there or Marshalls as it is a bit too preppy for me but they have good shoes in Marshalls.

Hi, my name is Kathy and I am addicted to Ross :) Actually, I consider myself a Ross "expert"....LOL....At Ross, the biggest thing I have discovered, is that you CANNOT go by sizes. You say you need a size 18....look from size 16-22......I normally wear a size 18....but buying dresses at Ross, I can wear a size 16 up to a size 22......Right now they have some really cute formal dresses....just bought 5 on my way to TX last week. (nearest Ross is 150 miles to me so I go to all I travel by)....They also have some VERY GOOD markdowns right now....Look over the thread "post a picture of your dress here" ...the scrunched white one and the scrunched black one on me, I paid $13.99 for....about 3 weeks ago, I bought a pale pink one, just like the white one and paid $5.99 for it....I LOVE ROSS.....

We have dozens around us and some stores have better merchandise depending on the demographics of the neighborhood.

One of my clients manages a TJ Maxx and they get better merchandise as they are in a desirable zip. I am not a fan really of the clothes in there or Marshalls as it is a bit too preppy for me but they have good shoes in Marshalls.

Absolutely and it's not just Ross that stocks according to the demographics. The Macys near me is a completely different breed than the Phila. and NYC Macys. There is a huge Ross distribution center right outside of town, we are the hub of some major east/west and north south highways. Don't know if having the warehouse here makes a difference with the selection of merchandise or not but it's usually pretty good. The manager told me the truck makes deliveries 4-5 days a week.

As far as the looks of the various Ross stores, a lot can depend on the manager. The one here is constantly on the floor rearranging, tidying up, etc. and she has her staff doing the same.

Kathy(Arhillbilly), I can wear a range of clothes from any store and even in the same brand. There is just no consistency in women's sizing. :(

Got a $119 JNY skirt for $4.99 and a pair of $56 JNY capris for $1.99.:)

Most of our Ross's seem to be going downhill on selection and quality. I used to buy most of my clothes there, but in the last year or so I don't seem to find much. They seem to be carrying a lot of strange clothes lately.

Most of our Ross's seem to be going downhill on selection and quality. I used to buy most of my clothes there, but in the last year or so I don't seem to find much. They seem to be carrying a lot of strange clothes lately.

Sometimes it looks like a plague of locust have been through some of them especially after a weekend.

We have one branch that you couldn't pay me to go to and it is one of literally dozens in the Orlando area and yet others are so pleasant, all to do with location.

I have found that Ross varies greatly from store to store. At the one nearest me, sometimes i find nothing, other times I really hit the jackpot. They have have particularly good deals on purses and shoes. I have gotten shoes by Sbicca, Nine West, and Clarks and purses from Liz Claiborne, Nine West and Betsey Johnson for a fraction of the cost (70-80% off) in departments stores. This week I got a gorgeous emerald green cocktail dress taht I saw in Macy's for $100 for only 29.99.

Archived