LAX Shuttle to/from port?

debihen

Yes there is a shuttle available - you can book it with NCL directly or your travel agent.

When booking the shuttle between the airport LAX and the ship at port

NCL needs to know what flight and time you are arriving on the day of the sailing.

Not the best plan to arrive on the day of the cruise - so a best alternative is to

arrive a day early and stay at a hotel in or near the airport. The following day

take the hotel shuttle to the airport and find out in advance where the NCL

representative will be - usually in the bag claim area of the airline you WOULD

be arriving on - check in with the rep. and board the chartered motor coach to

the ship. Have your bags prechecked with stateroom info and you should see

them a few hours after registration and boarding the ship. ???s ask NCL for

how this works.

For the shuttle service from the ship to the airport you can book this in advance

directly with NCL now or do it later on board the ship but not later than 24 hours

before arriving in port.

You will be given specific que (time) in getting off the ship to board the chartered

motor coach to the airport FOR FLIGHTS AFTER 12:30 pm.

NCL will need to know your flight and time of departure.

If enough passengers are using one airline the motor coach will go directly

to that airline and if not the bus will make the grand rounds of the airport

letting passengers get off at their respective airline.

In any event plan on having a cushion of time in case of traffic jams and/or

more passengers getting off the bus before you (hint United is the last stop).

If your flight is before 12:30 pm you will have to make other private

arrangements or chance missing it (really you can do 11:30 am but that is

pushing for everything to be absolutely perfect and no TSA snafus - helps if

you have TSA PreCheck or Globel Entry and airline priority)!

You can do a walk off with baggage in hand and await the motor coach or

place your bags outside your cabin door for claiming in Customs area.

After clearing Customs take your bags and go as directed to where your motor

coach is located.

Caution that you ask questions and don't do this too early otherwise you maybe

outside the cruise terminal in an unsheltered area waiting !

There are other private arrangements that you can make with other sources.

One comes to mind is Quick Shuttle. If doing this thru a travel agent he can

probably recommend more and a website and phone number.

I believe the NCL Contracted Shuttle service costs something around $25 pp

NCL Contracted - Call 800.327.7030 to make transfer arrangements

The distance from the airport to the cruise terminal is roughly 30 miles and

takes about 40 minutes using Los Angeles finest freeway system ! UGH !

If you have not booked your airfare yet keep in mind other alternative airports

in the immediate area - Santa Ana/Orange County - Long Beach - and a bit

further San Diego - travel (shuttle) arrangements can be taxing but sometimes

the airfare can be less expensive and better timed for where you are destined.

Every time I have done this the bus driver has been great ad libing pointing

out points of interest and carrying on a commentary about beautiful downtown

Burbank Hollywood celebrities etc. (Not a stand-up comedian but a sit down

fill in).

Hope this answers your question and the answer is "YES" !

Many who cruise from San Pedro use Super Shuttle. Their rate is about $17 per person each way and they are very dependable. They have many vans covering this route and

provide good service for a good price.

We will have six adults with luggage can we book the shuttle in advance to take us to San Pedro?

We will have six adults with luggage can we book the shuttle in advance to take us to San Pedro?

With six people you'll likely pay a similar amount for a private transfer. Check around, there are lots of options in LA.

Sent from my iPad

Any suggestions?

I've used various private car firms in LA with success but haven't ever priced the ride to the port so not sure which would be best. You'll likely need to call around a few to get accurate info. I think the shuttle companies also offer private vans, which may be quite affordable. When I'm with a group, the last thing I want to do is squeeze into a van with strangers.

Sent from my iPad

Edited by Okmyx

Our flight home to the UK does not leave LAX until 5:25pm. The last thing we want to do is hang about either LA in general or LAX in particular all afternoon with all our luggage - not a good option by all accounts! So we were toying with going on one of the NCL tours from Port to LAX to kill a bit of time and add a bit of interest to the last day of the trip. The NCL web site does say that these tours are no good if you have an international departure before 6pm. We are travelling home business class so we should be OK for a late check-in if the tour get delayed but has anyone got any advice as to whether one of those tours would be OK?

If you have not booked your airfare yet keep in mind other alternative airports in the immediate area - Santa Ana/Orange County - Long Beach - and a bit further San Diego - travel (shuttle) arrangements can be taxing but sometimes the airfare can be less expensive and better timed for where you are destined.

San Diego is about 160 miles from the World Cruise Port where NCL berths in San Pedro, so that's not a good alternative. Long Beach (LGB), served by Jet Blue, is the same distance from the port as LAX (20 miles away). Other reasonable airports are Santa Ana / John Wayne (SNA) and Burbank / Bob Hope (BUR). You are most likely to get good rates and less connections going into LAX, though.

This site has information on shuttles, distances to airports, public transit, etc: http://www.sanpedro.com/spcom/crusshp.htm

Enterprise Rental Car has a downtown office in San Pedro, and serves the port for those wanting a rental car.

The Port of Los Angeles is a pretty industrial looking port, and you'll likely cruise out while container ships are cruising in. We have sailed out of there twice, and will be returning there in early October on the Sun's pacific coastal cruise.

Any suggestions?

Super Shuttle has been around but on a shared van, the driver can be making 2, 3 or 4 stops in the "immediate" area before dropping you off - once s/he got all the pax inside. Make sure you have plenty of transit time to cushion the extra stops & delays in getting to San Pedro Port.

We used PrimeTime Shuttle ("The Big Red Van") and they are priced a little lower than SS, discounted when pre-booked online.

For a party of 6, you would essentially be booking your own van - individual, PrimeTime is $16 p/p (vs. SS's $17 p/p) vs. exclusive van for 7 @$75 with PT, or $85 for up to 9 - one-way fare, LAX to the Pier/Harbor (plus tipping for the driver, as we always do) Check & verify these prices online (they are current now.)

Our flight ... does not leave LAX until 5:25pm. The last thing we want to do is hang about either LA in general or LAX in ... with all our luggage - not a good option ... ! So we were toying with going on one of the NCL tours from Port to LAX to kill a bit of time ... The NCL web site does say that these tours are no good if you have an international departure before 6pm. We are travelling home business class so we should be OK for a late check-in if the tour get delayed but has anyone got any advice as to whether one of those tours would be OK?

How many is in your party - 2 or 3, or more ?? - what's NCL's costs for the 1/2 day tour & dropoff at LAX?

LA's traffic jams are notarious, even on a Sunday and always unpredictable, so I would NOT want to roll the "dice" and be waving at the bird taking off at the runway from the nearby freeway :eek: - even flying F/J class, until you have Pre-Check and/or other priority status, the TSA security lines can be very LONG at this busy airport.

Being from overseas, unless you've driven in LA's 8 to 10 lanes freeway traffic system, it's not for the typical visitors - plus, you need to be mindful of all the HOV-3 and (car pool) restrictions (used to be HOV-2 back in the 1980's) - as otherwise, you could consider going to a nearby car rental and drive around & sightsee on your own, or at least enjoy a leisure lunch before dropping the rental car at LAX (Hertz didn't charge us a one-way fee, nice: and, they are about 10 minutes from the Pier, a quick taxi ride over to the "strip" mall location & we got $15 credit for the taxi trip over.) We locked our luggage in the truck & keep our valuables & electronics with us while "venturing" around.

It depends on what you wanted to see in the Greater Los Angeles area, and it's a 30 to 60 minutes trip from downtown to LAX, almost always in heavy traffic. You don't have time to see Universal Studio further north and "Hollywood" is also further away from LAX (nothing really to see, IMO) Our favorite stopover is usually down in Orange County for Vietnamese food in Westminster, about 20 to 30 minutes from San Pedro Pier by car.

Thanks Mking8288, we are 3 adults and the NCL charge for a 5 hour tour and drop-off at the airport is $56 pp.

I don't particularly want to mess about driving. I have driven quite a lot over there and although drivers are less aggressive than here in Europe, it can still be a bit of a challenge for a one-off half day. My only previous time in the LA area (mostly in Newport Beach) was 40 years ago with my first Mustang rental car - a bit busier now I guess!!! I will get back to NCL and see what they have to say about taking the tour and it may be that we will end up just taking a shuttle and spending more time than I would like in an airport that I gather has not got any better since my first experience of the place. Having experienced several other airports in the USA such as Atlanta, JFK, Dallas FW, Dulles, Orlando and even Miami and Chicago how come a prestigious gateway airport like LAX is such a dump in comparison?

Having experienced several other airports in the USA such as Atlanta, JFK, Dallas FW, Dulles, Orlando and even Miami and Chicago how come a prestigious gateway airport like LAX is such a dump in comparison?

Hey there. It's not a dump. It's just not near many tourist destinations.

If you had a car and wanted to relax for a few hours before your flight, which is what I would do, I'd rent a car and slowly drive up the coast the the beach communities (Manhattan Beach) and stop whenever you want. That road ends up right at LAX and you wouldn't need toke any freeways.

Alternatively, you could take the freeway and head to a tourist destination for a few hours. For instance, The Getty Center museum is about 25 minutes north of the airport but is freeway close and has great views of LA (and some nice art, too).

Sent from my iPad