Does a larger ship really decrease seasickness noticeably?

CnKinChatt

Hi! Would appreciate seasoned cruisers weighing in on this...about 2 years ago we took our very first cruise (on the Breeze). Totally loved it and planning our 2nd for June or July this year. Only problem: my daughter experienced a touch of seasickness (first night out and then one day towards the end of cruise when we hit some rough water). We didn't consider it severe but now that we are considering the Sunshine for our 2nd cruise, I find myself wondering if choosing a smaller ship would increase her chance of seasickness:/ I've read that larger ships decrease chance of seasickness so I guess I'm wondering if there is really that much of an increase in likelihood of seasickness on the Sunshine over the Breeze. I'm completely torn as to choosing between the two already (there are certain features on each that I totally love) and hoping that this info will help sway me one way or the other.

Also, am wondering if the Sunshine really IS cramped or is that being overblown?

Really appreciate any insight. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The overriding issue is the weather, but conditions being equal, regarding rocking motion:

Larger ship > smaller ship

Newer ship > older ship

Larger ships rock less due to size.

Newer ships rock less due to technology that dampens the actions

A room lower in the ship and near the center of the ship will be the most stable in any ship.

Thanks for the quick response! That confirms what I've read about the size:/ just was hoping that the sunshine and breeze were close enough in size to not make much of a difference...and I wasn't taking into account the new ship vs old ship (with a makeover) factor. So I guess we'd better stick with the Breeze...this is to be a "happy graduation/18th birthday" mother/daughter cruise so I guess I'd better not chance her being sick the whole time:( Was just looking forward to the Havana and Alchemy bar...and the larger Serenity deck. But the Breeze was pretty fantastic so I guess all in all that's the smart choice...thanks :)

Depends on the seas! You're on a ship that FLOATS on the water...no matter HOW big it is, it is but a "cork" floating on the sea. Rough enough, and you're gonna feel it. Wave length has a lot to do with it, too.

Just be prepared with a preventative...like Bonine.

True...last time she dealt with it with that Motion Eaze stuff and pretzels..this time I'll bring Dramamine and some homeopathic things that sound promising...and will look into what you mentioned there! Thanks :)

Hmm...ok..so does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of the sunshine and breeze that could weigh in on the overall smoothness of the ride? Wondering if it might simply be the luck of the draw..on whether the weather cooperates that particular week:/

As mentioned, wave frequency and length has a lot to do with it, as well as wind speed and direction, hull depth, ship's center of gravity, use or non-use of stabilizers, ships speed, water currents, and probably a few other factors as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So, aside from finding out if both ships I'm considering have comparable stabilizers, it's pretty much a gamble...

Does anybody that's been on both ships want to weigh in on whether the sunshine IS actually overcrowded or if the reviews I've seen to that effect are people just being whiny? Or give an opinion about any other aspects of either/both ships? I'm SOOO torn and I have to book within a couple weeks I'd say...

Don't knock out Princess altogether--there are some great deals out there.

But, an 18 year old might like Carnival, RCI or NCL better.

Personally, I don't think there will be any major difference in those two ships. Neither is what I would call small.

If it is rough, any ship will have motion, and there is no way to predict weather way ahead of time.

True...hoping for great weather - last time we went in March and it was too cool and windy to even go in the pool or on the water slides:/ We spent most of our deck time huddled in the hot tubs up to our necks lol. Thinking we may just stick with the Breeze now...at least it's a "known" and a newer ship...I just keep reading more and more reviews about Sunshine being overcrowded and showing many signs of being an old ship with a halfway done facelift. Thanks for all the input everyone! :)

Weather, seas, swells, use of stabilizers, rolling vs pitching..........

I've been at sea over 800 days and been sea sick maybe a few times. I bring a med with me and if I suspect I could get queasy, I take as needed.

My DH had never been seasick and one very calm evening for no recognizable reason, he became sea sick for the first and only time. We caught it early, I gave him his med, he was able to keep it down and was fine in a few hours.

Seamen who sail for a living can out of nowhere suddenly have a bout of mal de mer.

It happens.

I cruised in July on a new large ship - and got sea sick.

I cruised in Dec on a smaller older ship and was fine.

In July we had a cabin on deck 16 at the front of the ship and despite the calm seas we felt a fair bit of movement and I was nauseous every night.

In Dec we booked a cabin on deck two midship and whilst we felt a little movement occasionally I was not sick at all.

Other factors: in July we went straight from a twelve hour time difference into the cruise and I was sooooo jetlagged. In Dec we arrived at our port ten days earlier so jetlag had passed by the time we got on board.

My personal take on it is that I do better on lower decks midship and when I'm not battling jetlag at the same time.

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

Thanks...yes planning to go stocked with Dramamine and some other homeopathic options in case she has just a mild case..and will be hoping to get midship and low. Have decided on the Breeze again..so excited!

Thanks...yes planning to go stocked with Dramamine and some other homeopathic options in case she has just a mild case..and will be hoping to get midship and low. Have decided on the Breeze again..so excited!

Speaking of homeopathic remedies, while I'm not 100% convinced that they work in all cases, I would be willing to try some of you have any suggestions (already know about ginger root)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am excited for you! I loved the Breeze when I was on it.

ETA: Did she try the seabands? They work great on me. I wasn't sure they would but they did and I like the fact I am not medicating myself.

Edited by Danni3ll3

A2Mich - I'm not convinced either so this will be an experiment, however, since we aren't big on over-medicating I'm hoping some of the more natural options will work. I remember that when I was pregnant ginger pills DID help with nausea, so I will be bringing some form of ginger (available in gum and essential oil, as well as pill form). Also, I've read that rosemary, peppermint and fennel help with nausea. I also plan on bringing the following: Motion Eaze, Acu-Strap sea band bracelet, and Dramamine.

What I have heard works really well that hasn't been mentioned is Green Apples. From what I understand, get a bunch on the first day and keep them in your room, they will be gone by the middle of the cruise. None of us get sea sick so I can't say for 100% sure on personal experience.

We have been on big and smaller ships. To be honest I think the easiest time we had was on a smaller ship with the Carnival Legend. I do really believe part of it was the stabilizers and because this was their main Alaska ship (now has moved full time there booo!!) it needed it.

Which if you are going in the spring/summer that might be a very good thing to look for. Which ships on the lines you are looking at (if any other than Carnival) do Alaska sailings and then pick those ships.