iPhone

maverade

Internet access is the same for all devices. If you text via the internet, it will only work while connected to the internet.

If you text via your cell phone carrier, it will be charged to your cell phone bill at home. Check the carrier page to see the pricing. You need to know that cruise ships are usually not included in any unlimited plans, or intl plans.

Be very aware that leaving your cell phone data turned on can get VERY EXPENSIVE.

We were on the Escape and were able to text and use Facetime for free. We did not have the internet package. We got on the NCL wifi and then turned our phones to airplane mode. This only worked with iphones.

Did you use it to call an iPhone on land or only in the cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were able to text people on the cruise and on land. I Facetimed with someone in Europe too.

1 - You might have gotten a serious cell phone bill at home. Who pays that in your house?

2 - You might have been on one of those cruises where they had a problem and calls/texts got through without charging anyone.

3 - You should not be getting free calls/texts/data on a cruise ship. Maybe you have some whiz bang carrier plan that nobody else knows about?

1 - You might have gotten a serious cell phone bill at home. Who pays that in your house?

2 - You might have been on one of those cruises where they had a problem and calls/texts got through without charging anyone.

3 - You should not be getting free calls/texts/data on a cruise ship. Maybe you have some whiz bang carrier plan that nobody else knows about?

1-No, I didn't get a big bill when I got home. I am the parent in my house and I pay the bills. We were in airplane mode.

2-We did not make any calls. We text and used Facetime.

3-Once again, we did not call anyone or use data since we were in airplane mode. We were on the NCL wifi. I don't believe I have a "whiz bang" carrier. I have AT & T.

Edited by outtabux

I noticed when cruising sometimes during the voyage I am able to send iMessages to contacts.

No charges were made and it was through the ships wifi.

It's always random and rare in my experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on the Escape and were able to text and use Facetime for free. We did not have the internet package. We got on the NCL wifi and then turned our phones to airplane mode. This only worked with iphones.

3-Once again, we did not call anyone or use data since we were in airplane mode. We were on the NCL wifi. I don't believe I have a "whiz bang" carrier. I have AT & T.

You got really lucky. Most people would have to BUY the internet package to do that.

You got really lucky. Most people would have to BUY the internet package to do that.

I only knew that it was possible to text because I read it here on CC before my cruise. I am not the only one that has ever done this. You can search old threads if you think I got some super secret deal.

Once again, I was not on the internet. You don't need internet to text.

If you ever sail on the Escape, you can try it for yourself.

Please do a little more research on iphones, internet vs Wifi and the Escape before telling me how "lucky" I am. I did my research and so have many others.

Since garycarla is giving me such a bad time about this I went back to my text history from February and found that we were actually using imessage to text other iphones. Hopefully, that clarifies things for everyone.

The last two med sailings I took in 2015 and 2016 I didn't get an extra bill. In 2015 we didn't have a ship package. Did in 2016 but I usually let my husband log on and so I wasn't when I was using internet and texting. Had iPhone and Tmobile. Calling was .20/minute but wifi calls free as well as FaceTime and internet. Just made sure phone was unlocked prior. My phone would pick up whatever country we were near. If it said welcome to emc cellular at sea or something like that, which only happened a couple times, I wouldn't use it because it warned there would be charges but whenever it said something like welcome to cosmos Greece or vodaphone... I'd go ahead and use away. If signal was weak I'd just search for another carrier. I think the phone has to be paid in full to be unlocked. Worked fine on land too for google maps, directions... husband has Verizon and he did get some ship charges in addition to the daily Verizon package he added. He also had the ship's unlimited internet and doesn't use an iPhone

Edited by littlelulu01

Myself and everyone in our party of 22 that had IPhones were able to use IMessage and FaceTime while phones were on airplane mode . We were able to do this with people on the ship and on land. No charges on our phone bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is a well known glitch in the NCL wifi that has been around for a while. It allows iMessage texting for no charge. We did it on the Breakaway last month. Some day the will fix the glitch. For now, it works exactly as stated for free.

This is a well known glitch in the NCL wifi that has been around for a while. It allows iMessage texting for no charge. We did it on the Breakaway last month. Some day the will fix the glitch. For now, it works exactly as stated for free.

Yes, but no data which means no face time and no texts with pictures. But texting without pics was free to other Apple devices. Free means no ship charges and no Verizon charges. Turn airplane mode on (which automatically turns wifi off), then manually turn wifi on and you're all set. At least that was my experience.

I only knew that it was possible to text because I read it here on CC before my cruise. I am not the only one that has ever done this. You can search old threads if you think I got some super secret deal.

Once again, I was not on the internet. You don't need internet to text.

If you ever sail on the Escape, you can try it for yourself.

Please do a little more research on iphones, internet vs Wifi and the Escape before telling me how "lucky" I am. I did my research and so have many others.

Thank you for this info! We will be on the Escape in a couple of weeks and It will be great to be able to keep in touch with our teen daughter when she's out and about on the ship.

On our Breakaway cruise last month, we were able to use iMessage the entire trip without purchasing an internet package. Since most of our family and friends at home have iPhones, we had no trouble staying in contact. We also used it to contact each other around the ship. We had planned to use iConcierge like usual, but didn't need to. We kept the phones in airplane mode, but with wifi turned on the entire time.

IMessage runs over ports 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS) which are required to run the ship's intranet. There's no real way to block them. As a result, all the Apple devices on the local network should be able to to iMessage one another.

• 3 weeks later...