SteakHouse - Free Wine & Casual First Night? (Breeze)

dcs1989

Hello,

I have been on many Carnival cruises and have just now booked my first reservation for the Steakhouse the first night of my cruise on the Carnival Breeze.

I have read on the forums that the first night offers a free bottle of wine...is this still valid? All the posts I saw talking about this are from 2013 and earlier. This would be amazing if its true...i didn't find this out until AFTER booking :D.

As for dress code - I plan on dressing very casual as I would in the main dining hall...from what I have read the first night at the steak house does NOT require me to wear a tie/suit jacket and is the most laid back night as far as dress attire. Has anyone felt out of place just wearing nice jeans, a polo and nice shoes the FIRST night of the steak house?

We went the first night on the Conquest this past May. I wore khakis and a collared shirt. My daughters (twins age 14) were wearing skorts (skirt shorts) and the hostess asked if they were shorts and almost turned us away before clearing them with a supervisor.

Jeans might be "iffy" but YMMV. If it won't tick you off to be asked to go change, then I say "go for it"...

You do get a free bottle of wine at the steakhouse on the first night. It is also given on the 1st Elegant night which is usually the 2nd night.

If it is Elegant night, guests in the Steakhouse also have to adhere to the dress code. However, my understanding is that on casual nights, it is also casual in the Steakhouse.

When we made reservations on a casual dress night, the hostess taking our reservations told us, without our asking, stated that blue jeans were acceptable. I asked if tshirts were allowed since one member of our party had tshirts made up for DH's birthday and we were planning to wear them. Normally DH does not wear tshirts to dinner, even in the MDR. She said that it was fine.

So we all wore blue jeans and tshirts to the Steakhouse.

A friend and I had dinner in the Valor steakhouse, Scarlett's, on first night. We did get the free bottle of wine----simply your choice of a red or white.

We dressed as we would for a normal, non-elegant night in the main dining room since it was the first night on the ship. There were probably about 20 people there; we saw no one wearing jeans. Several ladies wore cocktail dresses; several guys wore sport coats with khakis. Some just wore long sleeve shirts with tie.

So, although I've read it's more casual the first night on the ship, pretty much everyone we saw did dress nicer than if they were eating at the Lido buffet!

Just our experience. :)

We had three cabins make reservations in the Fariehieght 555 Steakhouse on Nov 8, 2014 to celebrate my dear Mother In Laws 88th birthday, while the fillet mignon and lobster was delicious the "free wine" quantity limited to only two cabins per reservation. I.E. Two bottles not three. The wines are limited to the Santa Carolina Brand and the red is a Merlot and the White A Chadonnay, that is it. Neither wines carry a wine enthusiasts rating, if you have to chose one take the white. I normally drink reds but the Merlot offered is, well mix it with seven up and call it a spritzer!

Yep, I had the free red wine on the Breeze that I, after we left the restaurant, ended up putting down when I had a seat in one of the hallways and forgot it. It was not very good, so no big loss when I went back to retrieve it and it was gone. Wish I had gotten the Chardonnay instead.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by trixiegal

As mentioned free wine was also served on my visit to the Steakhouse, this was on the 2nd night of the cruise "Formal Night" I ordered the white wine. One note of information. If you dine SOLO at the steakhouse on free wine night you will not be able to take the bottle with you. Your glass is filled when needed but the bottle was never left at the table. Nor was it available "To Go' as others have mentioned. This happened on the Dream also so it must be a SOLO diner rule.

• 1 month later...

JKWoody -I was on the breeze last month and this was going on for the FIRST night only.

I would recommend booking as early as possible - it was amazing. I almost wish I didnt spoil myself because I think this will become a tradition.

JKWoody -I was on the breeze last month and this was going on for the FIRST night only.

I would recommend booking as early as possible - it was amazing. I almost wish I didnt spoil myself because I think this will become a tradition.

Thanks so much! Off to make my reservation :)

We always go to the Steakhouse the first night and as you have been told; yes to the free bottle of wine. We were told that you can dress however you came onboard the first night; we always are dressed very casual. My DH is usually wearing jeans and a nice shirt (sail from Baltimore, off season, it is cold; lol). No problem! :D

We were just on the Splendor over New Years. We had planned to go to the steakhouse the first night not for the wine, but just because I hate the menu in the MDR for that night. Our anniversary is NYE so we already had reservations for that night. They had the cart in the hallway that has the steakhouse people there and we stopped to ask them about the dress code for the first night since it was more relaxed. Our children aged 6 and 9 were with us and the employees turned up their noses and said absolutely no shorts are ever allowed in the steakhouse and never jeans. I don't have a problem with that. If that's the policy, then that's the policy. I should say that my kids did have on very dressy shorts with nice polo shirts. In fact, one of them even had on a long sleeve button up shirt. The staff's attitude did irk me a little, but I was fine with the policy.

When my DH and I went to the steakhouse on NYE(which was also formal night), we saw two different families that had kids with them. One family the dad was wearing jeans. The second family had two kids that both had on soccer shorts and t-shirts. Keep in mind that this was formal night. It did aggravate me that they turned up their noses at my kids with a button up shirt on, but these families got to go on a formal night with clothes that don't even meet their MDR dress code.I am one of these people who could truly care less what others are wearing, but I didn't appreciate that we were held to different standards.

So they did tell us that shorts or jeans are never allowed and we did not receive a bottle of wine on the second formal night. Who knows what anyone else's experience may be as they are clearly not consistent with their policies.

Even the first night when dress code is relaxed in the MDR, they will probably turn men away at the steak house for wearing shorts but jeans were acceptable. (Even if the shorts look nicer than the jeans, lol) So make sure if you go the 1st night, that all the men in your party pack pants in their carry on incase you don't get your luggage before you go. :D

We ate at the steakhouse on Breeze and Liberty on the first night of our cruises. Both times DH wore dress pants and a polo shirt and I wore dressy capris, heels, and a dressy shirt. We never had any problems. We were told no shorts when we asked, do not know about blue jeans.

I also agree with you about the wine choice, always take the white! I tried the red and it was ok but the white was much better. Still not as good as other wines I have had, but drinkable.

• 2 weeks later...
As mentioned free wine was also served on my visit to the Steakhouse, this was on the 2nd night of the cruise "Formal Night" I ordered the white wine. One note of information. If you dine SOLO at the steakhouse on free wine night you will not be able to take the bottle with you. Your glass is filled when needed but the bottle was never left at the table. Nor was it available "To Go' as others have mentioned. This happened on the Dream also so it must be a SOLO diner rule.

This was NOT the case on the Pride in 2012. Solo diners took the included [not "free"] bottles out of David's.

Yep, I had the free red wine on the Breeze that I, after we left the restaurant, ended up putting down when I had a seat in one of the hallways and forgot it. It was not very good, so no big loss when I went back to retrieve it and it was gone. Wish I had gotten the Chardonnay instead.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We think the chardonnay is not worth drinking. Our friends who ordered the merlot liked it.

I dine solo in the steakhouse and the bottle is always on my table and always leaves with me if there's any left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had three cabins make reservations in the Fariehieght 555 Steakhouse on Nov 8, 2014 to celebrate my dear Mother In Laws 88th birthday, while the fillet mignon and lobster was delicious the "free wine" quantity limited to only two cabins per reservation. I.E. Two bottles not three. The wines are limited to the Santa Carolina Brand and the red is a Merlot and the White A Chadonnay, that is it. Neither wines carry a wine enthusiasts rating, if you have to chose one take the white. I normally drink reds but the Merlot offered is, well mix it with seven up and call it a spritzer!

If Santa Carolina is still served , it is just cheap Chilean wine. I own wine shops and this one is about $5.99-$6.99 per bottle, so don't expect great wine. Their reds have a medicinal taste. Just my opinion.

Hello,

I have been on many Carnival cruises and have just now booked my first reservation for the Steakhouse the first night of my cruise on the Carnival Breeze.

I have read on the forums that the first night offers a free bottle of wine...is this still valid? All the posts I saw talking about this are from 2013 and earlier. This would be amazing if its true...i didn't find this out until AFTER booking :D.

As for dress code - I plan on dressing very casual as I would in the main dining hall...from what I have read the first night at the steak house does NOT require me to wear a tie/suit jacket and is the most laid back night as far as dress attire. Has anyone felt out of place just wearing nice jeans, a polo and nice shoes the FIRST night of the steak house?

Free wine is true! And I wore jeans a nice top and heels to the steakhouse the first night and fit right in

Sent from my iPhone using Forums