Open Dining Table for One

buckirj1

The Maasdam is calling my name again, but I'm still a little hesitant about open dining. Assigned seating is out of the question, and I prefer to eat alone. I'm fine with the Lido, the way-too-early closing time notwithstanding, but in the event I might want to be served a night or two, what are my chances of getting a table to myself in an open dining scenario? Would it be similar to solo dining in the Pinnacle, as discussed a little ways upthread?

A friend always dined alone, at a table for two, in open seating. He usually went about 6:00 PM; guess after a day or two they expected him.

You should be accommodated easily if you go very early, or very late. Open seating closes at 9:00, so if you show up sometime after 8:00, the demand has slacked off.

I have a male friend who always dines solo at a table for two late on the Maasdam. On the same ship, I met a woman who dined early solo at a two top. It's what I would choose to do if I had a bad experience at fixed seating early. I'd go right to the DR manager and switch to open.

You can make your desire to work. But, be prepared to exert your preference for a decent table. I had a Head Steward on the Noordam assigning people to tables at breakfast (open sitting), after learning of my desire that morning for a table for one, tried to put me at a table in the farthest starboard aft corner of the MDR, beside a pillar that separated me from the rest of the MDR, with only the serving station in front of me.

If one gets put in open seating , will the dining room host seat you with other tablemates? I got open seating for a cruise and will first try to get a fixed table. But I don't want to end up eating by myself.

In open seating for breakfast and lunch, you will be asked if you want to dine with others or not.

I am not sure how it works for dinner. I would think that you will be placed with others if that is what you would like.

If one gets put in open seating , will the dining room host seat you with other tablemates? I got open seating for a cruise and will first try to get a fixed table. But I don't want to end up eating by myself.

You will not end up eating by yourself unless you want to. As a solo, I really like open. I used to say not getting early traditional was a deal breaker for me. Now I have no desire to go back to traditional.

As long as I will get to join other people for dining I will be happy. I was given open seating on Koningsdam Inaugural. Usually I request late dining on Hal and get it but not this time. I think I will try to obtain fixed dining on embarkation day.

On NCL so many people say they want to eat with their own party/family there are no share tables. On Carnival they fill the open seating tables up as people arrive. You can sit with your own party too.

As long as I will get to join other people for dining I will be happy. I was given open seating on Koningsdam Inaugural. Usually I request late dining on Hal and get it but not this time. I think I will try to obtain fixed dining on embarkation day.

On NCL so many people say they want to eat with their own party/family there are no share tables. On Carnival they fill the open seating tables up as people arrive. You can sit with your own party too.

To be honest with you I've had more of a problem on princess getting sat with others. On hal it's been no problem. For sure, try on embarkation to get changed to fixed but don't worry if you can't. I can be shy and I thought I wouldn't like open. Thanks to a few encouraging people on this board I did go with open. I'm glad I did.

We tried open dining last year on the Magic of the Med cruise. We had met another couple and ended up having dinner with them every night. But, when we went down for dinner we always asked for a table for 6 or 8 and specifically requested a round table. It really made it easy to meet others and made for some very interesting evenings.

In open seating for breakfast and lunch, you will be asked if you want to dine with others or not.

I am not sure how it works for dinner. I would think that you will be placed with others if that is what you would like.

Dinner is the same as breakfast and lunch - you will be asked your preference and they will accommodate you.

I started once using a table for one in Canaletto. By next day it was for two, then three and then four! The important thing.... AS YOU WISH should be EXACTLY as you wish!

MDR can be problem, but it should'n't. Go with the flow.... of you can't get a single.... be prepared to try somewhere else. Pinnacle fine for one. Canaletto one.

Go with the flow.... of you can't get a single.... be prepared to try somewhere else. Pinnacle fine for one. Canaletto one.

Most cruise lines with open seating default to seating solos with others unless otherwise requested. You're correct: flexibility is key. If one place isn't available, there'll be another place. After all, it's a big ship with lots of food:) There's always some place to eat. I think of it as "As You Mostly Wish."

On our NCL cruises we ask for sharing table and have always been seated with others who also want to share. So there definitely are share tables.

When we had open seating on our HAL cruises we also had no trouble being seated at a shared table when we requested it.

You can make your desire to work. But, be prepared to exert your preference for a decent table. I had a Head Steward on the Noordam assigning people to tables at breakfast (open sitting), after learning of my desire that morning for a table for one, tried to put me at a table in the farthest starboard aft corner of the MDR, beside a pillar that separated me from the rest of the MDR, with only the serving station in front of me.

Hubby & I prefer that table or the one on the port side on the Oosterdam....believe it or not, it's quiet there & you can actually carry on a conversation.

On our NCL cruises we ask for sharing table and have always been seated with others who also want to share. So there definitely are share tables.

When we had open seating on our HAL cruises we also had no trouble being seated at a shared table when we requested it.

My 2 NCL solo were Jade in Europe. It was not that easy to get a share table because of added language problem. If there was nobody to share with I became the first person of a 4 top and waited till someone came. Once, no one came. The hostess keeps asking people behind the solo if they would share. I eas lucky a vouple of times thatpeople on line adked me to sit with them when they discovered I was alone. On Epic and the big ships BA and GA you can meet the singles in the solo lounge and go as a group.