3 days in Bermuda...help me plan our time

midwestchick

We've never been to Bermuda before and will be there on the X Summit for 3 days in June.

I've been reading some threads and still haven't planned our time. I see there are a lot of repeat visitors to Bermuda.

If you had just 3 days, what would be the best way to spend your time and get the most out of the island. Hiking is something that is not on our wish list.

All other ideas/suggestions welcome.

I usually start with the farthest away the first day then move closer to the dockyard each day.

Last year we took the 9:30 ferry to St George- walked around to see a few sights (St Peter's, unfinished church, Ordanace Island, Alexandra Battery) then spent the afternoon at Clearwater Beach

Next day we took the ferry back to St George and spent the morning at Tobacco Bay then toured Fort St Catherine's you can then take bus into Hamilton (it's about 45-60 min ride) to get a good view of the island, walk around there for a bit then take ferry back to Dockyard

We had done Swizzle Inn and Crystal Caves on a previous visit but they are located between St George and Hamilton (a little closer to St George)

Last day we went to Daniel's Head Beach in the morning and rented stand-up paddleboards (you can go to Horseshoe Bay Beach instead) then walked around the Dockyards and shopped before getting back onboard to leave :(

This year we are going to try to visit Gibbs Lighthouse, do afternoon tea and go to the Nature Preserve

We have never been to Bermuda either,

been reading all the info I can, here goes my 3 day plan;

Day 1, which is a Sunday, shuttle to Horseshoe beach, walk the path along the south shore beaches, Warwick, Jobson's cove etc.

Day 2, renting a Boston Whaler boat from Somerset 4 hours. Maybe check out Hamilton on the ferry from Dockyard either before or after boat.

Day 3, Hamilton on ferry, Botanical gardens in the am, back to Dockyard, for lunch and shopping before sail away.

We are not sightseeing people and love Bermuda beaches

Day 1 7 bus to horseshoe

Day 2 Ferry to Hamilton and taxi to Coco Reef where we buy Day Pass, so quiet and beautiful

Day 3 7 Bus to Horseshoe

We buy tokens and its cheaper for transportation

Here is what we did for a three day itinerary last September:

Day 1 (Wednesday) -

Take 9:30am Ferry to St. George's.

Rent scooters upon arrival.

Drive scooters around St. George's - see many forts (including Fort St. Catherine), unfinished church, Lilly perfumery, shopping.

Return scooters in SG. Hop on bus.

Stop at Crystal Caves.

Lunch at Swizzle Inn (right next to Crystal Caves).

Bus to Hamilton.

Shopping in Hamilton.

Ferry back to Dockyard.

Day 2 (Thursday) -

Morning Jet Ski tour through Somerset Bridge Watersports.

Taxi to Elbow Beach.

Late Morning/Afternoon at Elbow Beach.

Taxi to Dockyard.

Late afternoon shopping in Dockyard.

Frog and the Onion in the evening.

Day 3 (Friday) -

Early morning horseback riding on the sand dunes.

Rest of the morning/early afternoon at Horseshoe Bay Beach.

Taxi back to Dockyard.

Afternoon shopping at Clocktower Mall.

The only thing I would probably alter, looking back, was I probably would not do Elbow Beach. There are no changing rooms or vendors there. I would probably pony up the $59pp and go to Coco Reef resort. (Or just do Horseshoe two days in a row).

John

• 2 weeks later...

What is the cost to rent a Boston Whaler and can just 2 people rent one? How far from the cruise port is the rental facility and how would we get there?

What other beaches besides Horseshoe Bay have the pink sand?

I keep thinking of more questions. I should really get my plans made soon.

What is the cost to rent a Boston Whaler and can just 2 people rent one? How far from the cruise port is the rental facility and how would we get there?

What other beaches besides Horseshoe Bay have the pink sand?

I keep thinking of more questions. I should really get my plans made soon.

We're renting one later this month from H2O in somerset, by mangrove bay, we're planning on taking the bus there. It's $170 for 5 hours and comes with 2 sets of snorkel gear if you book online. Another place a little farther away is somerset bridge watersports, which you could also take the bus to, it's also a little cheaper but only 4 hour rental.

We're renting one later this month from H2O in somerset, by mangrove bay, we're planning on taking the bus there. It's $170 for 5 hours and comes with 2 sets of snorkel gear if you book online. Another place a little farther away is somerset bridge watersports, which you could also take the bus to, it's also a little cheaper but only 4 hour rental.

Do you know how many people the boat will hold? It would be nice to share this with another couple. We have our own snorkel gear.

http://www.h2osportsbermuda.com/motor-boat-rentals-bermuda.html

Here's the link to the website, it says up to six people, their boats are bigger than the somerset rentals. One thing I didn't mention is that they charge you for the gas you use after you bring the boat back, they say it can be anywhere between $18 and$55 depending how you drive.

I usually start with the farthest away the first day then move closer to the dockyard each day.

Last year we took the 9:30 ferry to St George- walked around to see a few sights (St Peter's, unfinished church, Ordanace Island, Alexandra Battery) then spent the afternoon at Clearwater Beach

Next day we took the ferry back to St George and spent the morning at Tobacco Bay then toured Fort St Catherine's you can then take bus into Hamilton (it's about 45-60 min ride) to get a good view of the island, walk around there for a bit then take ferry back to Dockyard

We had done Swizzle Inn and Crystal Caves on a previous visit but they are located between St George and Hamilton (a little closer to St George)

Last day we went to Daniel's Head Beach in the morning and rented stand-up paddleboards (you can go to Horseshoe Bay Beach instead) then walked around the Dockyards and shopped before getting back onboard to leave :(

This year we are going to try to visit Gibbs Lighthouse, do afternoon tea and go to the Nature Preserve

I'm thinking of going to Clearwater Beach. How did you get there from the ferry?

http://www.h2osportsbermuda.com/motor-boat-rentals-bermuda.html

Here's the link to the website, it says up to six people, their boats are bigger than the somerset rentals. One thing I didn't mention is that they charge you for the gas you use after you bring the boat back, they say it can be anywhere between $18 and$55 depending how you drive.

Thanks. Hoping I can get someone from my roll call to share it.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm thinking of going to Clearwater Beach. ?How did you get there from the ferry

I would like to know as well. Also, what beach is closest to the dock at Kings Wharf and is it in walking distance....easy walking distance? I've been reading so many threads, it's hard to keep everything straight since it's all new to me.

I would like to spend as much time on the beaches as possible while still having time to spend in Hamilton and St. George.

I'm thinking of going to Clearwater Beach. How did you get there from the ferry?

I would like to know as well. Also, what beach is closest to the dock at Kings Wharf and is it in walking distance....easy walking distance? I've been reading so many threads, it's hard to keep everything straight since it's all new to me.

I would like to spend as much time on the beaches as possible while still having time to spend in Hamilton and St. George.

You take the #6 bus to get from St. George's to Clearwater Beach.

There are no beaches worth going to (IMO) that are within walking distance of Dockyard. Snorkel Park is in the Dockyard, but it's a man made beach and there is an admission charge most days. Black Bay Beach is about a 20 minute walk from Dockyard, but it's small and pretty rocky...not terrific. You really should go to Horseshoe Bay at least once...and from there you can also easily walk to other beaches such as Warwick Long Bay.

You take the #6 bus to get from St. George's to Clearwater Beach.

There are no beaches worth going to (IMO) that are within walking distance of Dockyard. Snorkel Park is in the Dockyard, but it's a man made beach and there is an admission charge most days. Black Bay Beach is about a 20 minute walk from Dockyard, but it's small and pretty rocky...not terrific. You really should go to Horseshoe Bay at least once...and from there you can also easily walk to other beaches such as Warwick Long Bay.

We plan on doing Horseshoe Bay but I was trying to think of a things to do on our last day that is close to the ship. I don't know if I want to deal with ferries or buses that day.

I would suggest to go to Horseshoe Bay on the last day by the direct bus and make it back by early afternoon before cruise ship leaves. At least that's my plan if my kids wants to go again on the last day.

I would suggest to go to Horseshoe Bay on the last day by the direct bus and make it back by early afternoon before cruise ship leaves. At least that's my plan if my kids wants to go again on the last day.

I don't tHink I want to deal with the crowded buses that day. We've never been to Bermuda, so we want to do as many different things as we can. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't tHink I want to deal with the crowded buses that day. We've never been to Bermuda, so we want to do as many different things as we can. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you don't want to do Horseshoe on the last day (I have gone to Horseshoe the last day with no problem, if I do go to Horseshoe that day I leave early in the morning and leave before the crowds leave) you can save Dockyard activities for that day. There is the Dockyard Mall, the rum cake factory, the glass blowing, the artists section. Lunch and some brews at the Frog and Onion. And there is the Maritime Museum.

If you don't want to do Horseshoe on the last day (I have gone to Horseshoe the last day with no problem, if I do go to Horseshoe that day I leave early in the morning and leave before the crowds leave) you can save Dockyard activities for that day. There is the Dockyard Mall, the rum cake factory, the glass blowing, the artists section. Lunch and some brews at the Frog and Onion. And there is the Maritime Museum.

Thanks, Charles. Since we have a good amount of OBC, I may look into a ship excursion for the morning and wander around the dock for a bit in the afternoon.

Someone posted about the buses and, I believe, the ferry boats being so busy since the large NCL ship is there when we are. Too bad they don't offer the reef fishing that day. DH would have enjoyed that...myself included.

Just back from the summit, one thing we noticed was the dockyard was very busy the last day, everyone trying to get last minute shopping done, in the rum cake/glassworks there were large lines, where the afternoon before that was very quiet, I also noticed there was one item in particular at the glassworks, a small glass sheep, was $13 on Thursday afternoon, and $19 on Friday afternoon. Not sure if everything gets jacked up in price the last day but I did notice that one in particular.:eek:

We went to Horseshoe on the last day. We caught the beach shuttle and they were fully aware that everyone had to be back. The beach was not at all crowded & we had a great time. IMO the shuttle was worth the $16 as they drop you off at the bottom of the hill and go straight to the beach and back.