Stop over at JFK

twinzzz

Need the help of all you experienced flyers.

Looking to book a flight from BUF to SJU that has a 41 minute stop over at JFK, which includes a plane change (I did notice that the flight from BUF arrives into T2 and the flight out to SJU leaves from T2 also).

Would we have enough time to get from 1 flight to the other? The other hiccup is that i may be either in a wheelchair or on crutches (6-8 weeks post-op, still waiting to see if i will need surgery).

Thanks for your help

Need the help of all you experienced flyers.

Looking to book a flight from BUF to SJU that has a 41 minute stop over at JFK, which includes a plane change (I did notice that the flight from BUF arrives into T2 and the flight out to SJU leaves from T2 also).

Would we have enough time to get from 1 flight to the other? The other hiccup is that i may be either in a wheelchair or on crutches (6-8 weeks post-op, still waiting to see if i will need surgery).

Thanks for your help

First off, I would avoid using the word "stopover" - that can create unexpected problems. In travel/aviation terms, a "stopover" is when you stop in a city for 24-48 hours or so. A "layover" is when you are just changing planes at the airport and don't leave. So, you're on a layover. If you mention to someone that you want a "stopover in New York", you can end up with an unexpected result.

Now, I am no JFK expert by any means, and I've certainly never done a domestic connection at JFK. However, 41 minutes is iffy for anyone, ESPECIALLY if there is ANY possibility of you having mobility issues, which means you could (if in a wheelchair) be the last one off the plane. That alone can take 20+ minutes, meaning your connection is now 21. Or, in reality, 6-11 minutes - many airline request you to be there 10-15 minutes ahead or else your seat might go to someone else. This is if there are zero delays whatsoever.

That's cutting it way too close for me. But I am conservative with my layovers. Knowing time of day, time of year, and airline would help us give a more accurate answer, though.

First off, I would avoid using the word "stopover" - that can create unexpected problems. In travel/aviation terms, a "stopover" is when you stop in a city for 24-48 hours or so. A "layover" is when you are just changing planes at the airport and don't leave. So, you're on a layover. If you mention to someone that you want a "stopover in New York", you can end up with an unexpected result.

Now, I am no JFK expert by any means, and I've certainly never done a domestic connection at JFK. However, 41 minutes is iffy for anyone, ESPECIALLY if there is ANY possibility of you having mobility issues, which means you could (if in a wheelchair) be the last one off the plane. That alone can take 20+ minutes, meaning your connection is now 21. Or, in reality, 6-11 minutes - many airline request you to be there 10-15 minutes ahead or else your seat might go to someone else. This is if there are zero delays whatsoever.

That's cutting it way too close for me. But I am conservative with my layovers. Knowing time of day, time of year, and airline would help us give a more accurate answer, though.

It would be a Saturday night (8pm), March 14, and this layover isn't something that i'm scheduling-this is Delta.

The good news is that T2 itself is not that big (about a dozen gates or so in a big rectangle), so timewise it's not an impossible connect. The bad news is that you have no room for any kind of delay on your inbound. The really bad news is if one of your flights moves to T4 - that puts a whole different spin due to the need to move between the two - and there's some significant distance involved.

And, of course, since you don't give dates, times or flight numbers, we can't give any better advice for you. However, there are many much better connections available than this one -- let me guess, it's the cheapest one?

And of course with that connection if you are delayed getting into JFK and find a cart that takes you to the gate in time that does not necessarily mean your checked luggage will make it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And of course with that connection if you are delayed getting into JFK and find a cart that takes you to the gate in time that does not necessarily mean your checked luggage will make it.

Uhh....if I was making a wager and my choices were a pax using a wheelchair versus their baggage, I'd be all over picking the baggage. Connecting bags move a LOT faster than most people suspect.

Just to add to what Flyer said, T2 now that Delta completely moved into T4 (and they are still building more gates at T4 on the B side), T2 though listed as Delta Domestic Arrivals you are not guaranteed to arrive at T2. With only 11 gates and delay on planes at the gate you may end over at T4, it has happened to me.

So IMHO your 40 minutes is very tight if anything goes out of wack.

Oh and T4 on the B side from the end Gate 41 its a very long 10 to 15 minute walk to the central part of the terminal. I will be there Sunday night I'll time it if anyone wants ;)

FWIW

Good Luck

Oh and T4 on the B side from the end Gate 41 its a very long 10 to 15 minute walk to the central part of the terminal. I will be there Sunday night I'll time it if anyone wants

You might want to just note how there are NO moving walkways in front of any of the retail establishments. Only where there is gate seating area on both sides of the concourse. They force you to walk past every place where you can spend your money.

It's the NYC version of many international terminals where you have to walk through the duty-free store to get from security screening to your gates.

I would not be comfortable with the tight connection at JFK in mid March. It's a legal connection but it is probably the last flight to SJU of the day and the Sunday flights could be full.

Can you not get an earlier flight from Buffalo or can you not make an earlier flight - there is a difference. Have you looked at a BUF-ATL-SJU itinerary? There were at least 4 flights on Saturdays from ATL to SJU this past March.

We have done this route a few times using Jet Blue.. Buffalo to SJU with a short layover at JFK. I just finished checking our last flight schedule from a few years ago and there was also 41 minutes between flights, which we made without a problem but no time to spare. Even though we were 10 minutes late leaving Buffalo, we made up the time in the air and arrived at JFK a few minutes early.

We always fly in a few days ahead of our cruise so if we'd missed the connecting flight to SJU from JFK, we'd just have to get the next one. ;) Not sure I'd be comfortable with it if there were no more flights that day and the cruise was leaving the next day.

I'm guessing you're sailing on a Sunday and I know the ships all leave San Juan in the evening. My biggest fear in flying from Buffalo in March is the weather. I'm sure you remember what our winter was like last year and of course, Buffalo was worse. The thruway was closed for days due to the ice storm. :eek: If there's any way you can fly to SJU a few days before sailing, it would give you some peace of mind. Good luck and I hope you don't need the surgery. :)

Edited by hancogran

It would be a Saturday night (8pm), March 14, and this layover isn't something that i'm scheduling-this is Delta.

Presumably Delta gives this connection as an option, which you can accept or not. If tickets are already purchased, no use worrying about it, unless you're willing to pay the change fee. If not yet purchased, or it's the result of a schedule change by DL, then what are your other options? If you miss your connection, DL should put you on the next flight with available seats, but that may not be the very next flight.

Edited by Fattony

We always fly in a few days ahead of our cruise so if we'd missed the connecting flight to SJU from JFK, we'd just have to get the next one. ;)

Sorry, not "the next one", but "the next flight with available seats factoring in our position in the airline's rebooking priority". Big difference, especially in light of high load factors.

Well maybe my DH and I are fast walkers. We have had two instances in the last few years where our incoming flight was delayed, we ran to the gate and made it but our luggage did not. I will add the in neither instance was this at JFK --- maybe they have a more efficient baggage system?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just to add an additional wrinkle: I had need of a wheelchair while changing planes at JFK due to broken foot on vacation and someone beat me off the plane and took my wheelchair! I waited 15 minutes standing on one foot in the jetway for another one to get there. Had 4 hours to kill so only an inconvenience but I would not chose such a short layover at JFK if I again needed assistance.

----------------

Helen

40 mins!!! Absolutely not!! Sorry. For connecting flights at any airport you should give yourself at least 1 and a half hrs. You only need a little delay on your first flight and you've had it!! Also it's very unlikely your bags would make it.

Definitely give yourself more time. Sorry.

40 mins!!! Absolutely not!! Sorry. For connecting flights at any airport you should give yourself at least 1 and a half hrs. You only need a little delay on your first flight and you've had it!! Also it's very unlikely your bags would make it.

This is the person who would wear galoshes & a raincoat and also carry an umbrella -- in Dubai. Or a great deal of inexperience in the world of air travel.

Every airport is different, and sweeping generalizations are just that.

However, there are many much better connections available than this one -- let me guess, it's the cheapest one?
Checked that specific date....yep, that one is the lowest price.

So, I guess, to the OP: What's your risk/reward tolerance level? Is price your driving determinant? Do you feel lucky?

Thank you all for confirming my suspicions.

Yes it us the lowest priced flight, and price is 1 factor as we have 4 people to pay for. However, it isn't the only factor, but i knew JFK was a larger airport than i am use to and thought 41 minutes would be cutting it too close- like some others have said, March weather in Buffalo can be awful.

We are still researching flights as i await final word on my surgery, which i should have in 4 days, and could cancel the whole trip.

This is the person who would wear galoshes & a raincoat and also carry an umbrella -- in Dubai. Or a great deal of inexperience in the world of air travel.

Every airport is different, and sweeping generalizations are just that.

Excuse me!!(not inexperienced at all) I have been an international cabin attendant for 26 years and this is NOT a sweeping statement.

I have dealt with countless passengers with missed connections because they have left the connection time too close. Seen too many dramas and tears!!

Yes. It could work but it is definitely not something that would be advised.

Thank you

Excuse me!!(not inexperienced at all) I have been an international cabin attendant for 26 years and this is NOT a sweeping statement.

I have dealt with countless passengers with missed connections because they have left the connection time too close. Seen too many dramas and tears!!

Yes. It could work but it is definitely not something that would be advised.

Thank you

Dear TD,

To state that one should have an hour and a half at ALL airports is overly broad. In many cases, that's much more than needed. If you've seen so many of these problems, then why didn't you recommend two hours? Or three? Surely that would be more "safe" than only 1:30.

The pure truth is that there is NO absolutely safe connection time, even a day later. And every flight could have a mechanical that sends long delays cascading through the system. So what you want is a connection that is both "legal" and practical FOR YOUR OWN RISK TOLERANCE. And that varies from airport to airport. From traveler to traveler.

My issue is not with the time -- I would highly recommend that much or more at some hubs -- but with the generality. If anyone should know the differences between airports, it should be you. An AA connect at DFW goes much faster than one at ORD. DTW is speedier than MSP.

Nothing will protect you when things go totally pear shaped. But in more frequent situations, judgment is far superior to dogma.

So having taken all opinions into consideration, i've been rethinking our flights and have found some that are more suitable. However, there are 2 different prices for the exact same flights. March 14, 2015

Option 1: book 1 way tickets on Delta (3313 BUF-JFK, 301 JFK-SJU) $1496.04 total for 4passengers

Option 2: book as multi-destination, exact same flights (BUF-JFK, JFK-SJU) $920.40 total for 4 passengers

In either option, it looks like our return flight will be on another carrier (not too worried about the return as we are not in a hurry to get home).

I have spoken to delta reservations directly, and she was not able to do a mock booking as a multi destination flight and when she mock booked it as 2 one way tickets it still comes up at $1496.04. Does this make sense to anyone? If i can get the exact same flights for $500 cheaper, should i jump on it?

Where are you finding this cheaper price? On a third party webpage? It seems odd the DL rep could not do this booking.

Both were found on the Delta website. And yes i was surprized she couldn't book it too, thats why i'm questioning the validity of it (the Delta rep said to go ahead and book it if the website was allowing me to).

Both were found on the Delta website. And yes i was surprized she couldn't book it too, thats why i'm questioning the validity of it (the Delta rep said to go ahead and book it if the website was allowing me to).

I've seen a number of great deals on flights showing on various carriers websites but when I try to book them I get some sort of error message saying the flights aren't available.