Wish cruise companies would put screens on balcony

alexandra cruiser

I mentioned this on a thread.AMA said none of them do.So I guess none of them WILL??

Know it would be an expense,but would be great.Love to have door open for fresh air esp at nite.But SO MANY BUGS,yikes.

Know Scenic has enclosure of balcony,but no screen.Same with Ocean cabins,but not as big a problem when out to sea.BUt then AC stays on,no matter what.

Does this bother anyone else?Or am I just nit picking?Personally thought it was a GREAT idea.:)

but on MOST of both,we got bugs of some type when we leave door open at nite.Days ok.Even with drapes on top.

Did Mekong,and no screens on ours.Told AMA about it,did NOT know at time that Avalon had them.

Yes, aware it screws up AC,but why not ability to turn off in room?Would solve that problem

If that s the case,wish SOME would become ALL of them.Esp.on the new ships being ordered,,

Just a nice perk and would sway which line I took,just for convenience and comfort.

Others>??:confused:

I think it's a good idea! We, too, had lots of bugs on the Danube cruise last summer.

We've been on lots of ocean cruises and never have had bugs.

I was shocked at how many bugs there were at night. We could not leave our balcony door open at night. A retractable screen would be helpful.

that is see thru and plastic,will help a little.

Can close it part way,get fresh air,and less room for bugs to be attracted to lite in cabin.

At least,that s what I m thinking.Just hate the constant drone of AC and inability to turn it off.Never been on one that needed doors shut for it.

;)

Really couldn't shove it out of the way. It would block one side or the other of the door just like it does on our sliding glass door at home. We would leave our curtain open on our cruise for a full wall beautiful view. If we had a screen, it would have been 1/2 of that crisp view.

I was just on SS Catherine, which sails on the Rhone River and is a brand new ship, and was absolutely thrilled (okay, so maybe I'm a geek) to see that it had added a screen option to its indoor/outdoor balcony-conservatory set-up. Simply put: You could opt to open the balcony all the way, open it all the way and put a screen up, or close the glass altogether. It is a brilliant innovation. I was told that Uniworld added the feature because the Rhone is especially buggy, but I don't buy it. I think it's just that someone finally thought of it.

The other plus for me was that I felt a bit more comfortable going to sleep with the balcony open (and screen up), figuring that no matter where we ended up the next day there was some level of protection.

Fabulous idea. Fabulous thread!

Let's sign a petition to get lines to add 'em to all balconies.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

PS Not sure what the impact of opening the balcony glass is on air con -- it was moderately warm/chilly in early April. Would be interested to hear from others (one plus on Uniworld is that the balcony area is enclosed by glass doors).

Edited by editor@cruisecritic

Is it possible to turn the A/C off in your room? I would rather have the A/C off and the door open. (In moderate or cool climate of course). I hate sleeping in heated room.

in the 10 river cruises so far,have NOT been able to turn it off.

So strange because most have sticker to keep door closed,but if you look at any of the brochures,,what do you see,,right,people standing looking out or on balcony with DOOR OPEN.

Even when I turn if HOT so it wont cool,it STILL HAS FAN RUNNING.Waste of energy and a real nuisance.

Lets get that petition=started.HOW??:confused:

Edited by alexandra cruiser

• 4 weeks later...
I was just on SS Catherine, which sails on the Rhone River and is a brand new ship, and was absolutely thrilled (okay, so maybe I'm a geek) to see that it had added a screen option to its indoor/outdoor balcony-conservatory set-up. Simply put: You could opt to open the balcony all the way, open it all the way and put a screen up, or close the glass altogether. It is a brilliant innovation. I was told that Uniworld added the feature because the Rhone is especially buggy, but I don't buy it. I think it's just that someone finally thought of it.

The other plus for me was that I felt a bit more comfortable going to sleep with the balcony open (and screen up), figuring that no matter where we ended up the next day there was some level of protection.

Fabulous idea. Fabulous thread!

Let's sign a petition to get lines to add 'em to all balconies.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

PS Not sure what the impact of opening the balcony glass is on air con -- it was moderately warm/chilly in early April. Would be interested to hear from others (one plus on Uniworld is that the balcony area is enclosed by glass doors).

Carolyn,

I just returned from the Rhone cruise on Uniworld's new S.S. Catherine. This was our 8th river cruise so I've seen an assortment of ships. The Catherine and it's crew far exceeded our expectations. Everything was fabulous with the single exception being the complete lack of balconies. It doesn't even have what they call a "French Balcony" where you just have a sliding glass that opens to a railing.

There is a glass partition in the room that opens to a small section of the same room to give the false impression that you have a balcony. There is just a wide window, the top half of which opens and has a screen. It's not floor to ceiling - It's just a window! It does create the false impression that you have a balcony but this illusion only serves to take about 2½' of precious stateroom floor space.

I ll be on a Scenic ship in a mo.and they also have a full balcony with option to shut glass enclosure over it.

A petition was mentioned above,but never heard more about it.??

Sad to hear that new Uniworld ship has NO balconies,odd since many of the new longships are now inc.BOTH.Now if they just had a screen option that could go over it(like glass one above)would be great.:)

Just to clarify, on the Uniworld SS Catherine, suites and Category1 staterooms have full balconies. The more moderately priced staterooms have the so-called French balconies. I think this is the case with most Uniworld ships.

• 1 month later...

This thread got me thinking. Checked on-line and Home Depo has a temporary screen that hangs with a tension rod or Velcro for $19.95. If a screen is important this may be an option. It could probably easily fold up in a suitcase.:D Brand is Snavely Forest 37 in x 80 in. - no tools or hardware required.

Sounds like an option,just got off a Scenic ship and could have used one.Had to keep balcony closed at nite,filled with bugs,YIKES.Even with glass screen that goes over it,still get in even with small opening.So NO fresh air.

Heres another gripe,not enough chair space in SHADE.So many of us love to sjt on top deck,but NOT IN SUN.Ended up on my balcony more than I would have due to this.

This thread got me thinking. Checked on-line and Home Depo has a temporary screen that hangs with a tension rod or Velcro for $19.95. If a screen is important this may be an option. It could probably easily fold up in a suitcase.:D Brand is Snavely Forest 37 in x 80 in. - no tools or hardware required.

Got one yesterday, think it will solve the problem.Will give it a try on ocean cruise in Nov. Hate to fight those bugs ,not SO bad when moving,but docked.FORGET it.esp.with lites.on.