Bringing soda on board

fireman845

Can it be in a wheeled luggage bag or does it need to be carried out in the open?

We have a duffle type bag with wheels that we use to shop with at a port ... have brought soda and water on board Hal with no problems. :)

Welcome back to HAL.

You can also pack your soda in your checked luggage that is turned in at the terminal entrance . We pack Diet Mt Dew in a collapsible bag, add a luggage tag, and give the bag to the porters. Upon disembarkation, the soda bag is collapsed and placed in another checked bag for the flight home. Some passengers just add a luggage tag to a case of sodas before turning it in to the porters.

If you wish to place sodas in your carry-on luggage/roller bag, that is also acceptable.

Welcome back to HAL.

You can also pack your soda in your checked luggage that is turned in at the terminal entrance . We pack Diet Mt Dew in a collapsible bag, add a luggage tag, and give the bag to the porters. Upon disembarkation, the soda bag is collapsed and placed in another checked bag for the flight home. Some passengers just add a luggage tag to a case of sodas before turning it in to the porters.

If you wish to place sodas in your carry-on luggage/roller bag, that is also acceptable.

I have recently been corrected by other CC members on this - since the change in wine policy, you can no longer put a luggage tag on soda or water and check it. You may only carry it onboard.

I have recently been corrected by other CC members on this - since the change in wine policy, you can no longer put a luggage tag on soda or water and check it. You may only carry it onboard.

I put a luggage take on my soda bag last June and handed it to longshoremen along with my other luggage. I did tip them:D

Sorry that you have been corrected.

In my CC research of posts back to April 2014, I have found that only one CC member is aware of this change in policy.

After much web searching, I have been unable to corroborate any change in the soda-in-checked-luggage policy nor is it addressed in the new HAL Wine Policy. I have not read a single post on this forum back to April 2014 where sodas in "checked" luggage have been confiscated or even challenged.

It must be noted that during check-in for my recent Alaska cruise, my collapsible suitcase of Diet Mt Dew was not questioned even though I announced its contents to the porter as accepted it.

I have posed the question to HAL Customer Service and will post their reply on this thread.

After much web searching, I have been unable to corroborate any change in the soda-in-checked-luggage policy nor is it addressed in the new HAL Wine Policy. I have not read a single post on this forum back to April 2014 where sodas in "checked" luggage have been confiscated or even challenged.

Mine was, but I never posted it, because I was planning on a review but my MIL is in the hospital so I haven't done that yet.

On our recent cruise in July, both me and my mom (different cabins) checked in some water bottles and she had some coke too. Hers was in the cabin when we arrived with the other checked luggage, mine was not. I got worried something went wrong, so went to the reception but was told that it might not be on board yet and would materialize.

When it did, hours later, it had a letter with it, stating that it was confiscated because of alcohol rules, and that the attached tag with number was there for me to have proof. The confiscated alcohol would be returned to me on the last day of the cruise. I looked like this: :confused: wondering if I forgot something, but Mr. Cruise_bunny swore that there was no alcohol in there and there was no tag attached. So no, they didn't show up on my door with a bottle of alcohol on the last day. :rolleyes:

I think my bag was accidentally confiscated though, but it was. If you absolutely need your soda on the first day, I'd lug it in yourself.

Edited by cruise_bunnies

Mine was, but I never posted it, because I was planning on a review but my MIL is in the hospital so I haven't done that yet.

On our recent cruise in July, both me and my mom (different cabins) checked in some water bottles and she had some coke too. Hers was in the cabin when we arrived with the other checked luggage, mine was not. I got worried something went wrong, so went to the reception but was told that it might not be on board yet and would materialize.

When it did, hours later, it had a letter with it, stating that it was confiscated because of alcohol rules, and that the attached tag with number was there for me to have proof. The confiscated alcohol would be returned to me on the last day of the cruise. I looked like this: :confused: wondering if I forgot something, but Mr. Cruise_bunny swore that there was no alcohol in there and there was no tag attached. So no, they didn't show up on my door with a bottle of alcohol on the last day. :rolleyes:

I think my bag was accidentally confiscated though, but it was. If you absolutely need your soda on the first day, I'd lug it in yourself.

Thank you for telling us about your experience.

In my CC research of posts back to April 2014, I have found that only one CC member is aware of this change in policy.

It must be noted that during check-in for my recent Alaska cruise, my collapsible suitcase of Diet Mt Dew was not questioned even though I announced its contents to the porter as accepted it.

I have posed the question to HAL Customer Service and will post their reply on this thread.

I "think" I also read on another social media site where HAL answers questions that all "liquids" now have to be hand carried or in your carry-on luggage. It was around the time of the NEW wine policy - :rolleyes: although I don't remember which new policy. Wherever it was I read it, it also commented about "leakage" of liquids onto other passengers luggage when loaded into the big luggage cages. I will be interested to hear what HAL Customer Service replies to you.

Edited by Linda&Vern

I recommend NOT putting it in your luggage. We packed a case of "Cheerwine" (a southern soft drink-- kinda like a cherry coke), in our suitcase several years ago. One of the cans sprung a leak and our underwear turned a nice red color. Thankfully, we had unlimited laundry!

Before you ask-- It was in the suitcase because of airline liquid rules.

Since then, we've carried-on cases of soft drinks bought at the port city with no problems at all.

I "think" I also read on another social media site where HAL answers questions that all "liquids" now have to be hand carried or in your carry-on luggage. It was around the time of the NEW wine policy - :rolleyes: although I don't remember which new policy. Wherever it was I read it, it also commented about "leakage" of liquids onto other passengers luggage when loaded into the big luggage cages. I will be interested to hear what HAL Customer Service replies to you.

Liquid leakage does occur. Last cruise a broken bottle of someone's aftershave leaked into my suitcase and it was quite a problem!

DaveOKC

Well IMO the poster who corrected you was incorrect! We carry Pepsi & I've put it in our checked baggage which we give to the porters only at the port...Last time was on our Prinsendam cruise in 2013...

We put two or thee 6 packs in a bag, put a luggage tag on it with the cans/bottles of soda & it's sent to our cabin.. I also tell the porters what is in the bag..

HAL'S wine policy did not change the soda/water policy.. However, would never put it into checked luggage if we had to fly to the port, as there is too much of a chance of breakage/leakage.. We don't carry water on board, as HAL's water is better than our home water.. I drink lots of water, fill my water bottle on board & put it into an Ice bucket to take with me in port..

Agree with you & looking forward to your response from HAL..Thank you..

Edited by serendipity1499

You can bring as much soda and/or water as you wish. You must carry it aboard yourself.

You can leave cases with the porters. It will be delivered to your cabin. For now. I foresee the day when the amount of soda and water will be limited.

Edited by Typhoon1

You can leave cases with the porters. It will be delivered to your cabin. For now. I foresee the day when the amount of soda and water will be limited.

So do I - I think it will be next policy change.:( But I am been informed loud and long that you can no longer leave the cases with the porter - you must carry them on yourself. That's what we did, last cruise. They went into my wheelie carryon.

As previously posted, I entered the following question to Customer Service on the HAL website:

Topic: Questions for Guests Currently Booked

First Name: Roger

Ship Name: ms Nieuw Amsterdam

Sail Date: 12 / 7 / 2014

Message: May I place plastic bottles of soda in my checked baggage that will be turned-in at the terminal curbside?

Reservations Auto Response - QuHal Res <hal_reservations@hollandamerica.com>estions for Guests Currently Booked [<AR351663>] {1436100}

This is an automated response from Holland America Line. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL: Replies to this auto response will not be received. We received your message, and appreciate your taking the time to contact us.

I received the following response on 8/29/14 routed through my HAL PCC:

"You can do that, as long as you are okay with the risk of one getting shook up and possibly opening in your suitcase!

My office hours are Monday - Friday 6:00am – 2:30pm (PST), or by appointment."

Based on the above HAL response, other CC members continuing to place sodas in their checked luggage, and finding no other HAL written guidance, I can only assume that sodas are indeed allowed in checked luggage. They are not required to be in carry-on luggage as stated by another CC member.

I have never had a soda open in a suitcase in the short time from the terminal check-in until my checked luggage arrived in my stateroom. I do over pack other liquids in Ziploc bags because they are in containers less-robust than sodas.

Edited by Crew News

OK, so I was right in my most recent thinking, as were those who set me on the right path. You cannot slap a label on it and have it delivered to your cabin. You can, however, put it in checked luggage. My preference as stated above was to put it in my wheelie-carryon. Thank goodness that crisis has been averted.:rolleyes:

Edited by Lizzie68

As previously posted, I entered the following question to Customer Service on the HAL website:

Topic: Questions for Guests Currently Booked

First Name: Roger

Ship Name: ms Nieuw Amsterdam

Sail Date: 12 / 7 / 2014

Message: May I place plastic bottles of soda in my checked baggage that will be turned-in at the terminal curbside?

Reservations Auto Response - QuHal Res <hal_reservations@hollandamerica.com>estions for Guests Currently Booked [<AR351663>] {1436100}

This is an automated response from Holland America Line. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL: Replies to this auto response will not be received. We received your message, and appreciate your taking the time to contact us.

I received the following response on 8/29/14 routed through my HAL PCC:

"You can do that, as long as you are okay with the risk of one getting shook up and possibly opening in your suitcase!

My office hours are Monday - Friday 6:00am – 2:30pm (PST), or by appointment."

Based on the above HAL response, other CC members continuing to place sodas in their checked luggage, and finding no other HAL written guidance, I can only assume that sodas are indeed allowed in checked luggage. They are not required to be in carry-on luggage as stated by another CC member.

I have never had a soda open in a suitcase in the short time from the terminal check-in until my checked luggage arrived in my stateroom. I do over pack other liquids in Ziploc bags because they are in containers less-robust than sodas.

OK, so I was right in my most recent thinking, as were those who set me on the right path. You cannot slap a label on it and have it delivered to your cabin. You can, however, put it in checked luggage. My preference as stated above was to put it in my wheelie-carryon. Thank goodness that crisis has been averted.:rolleyes:

Lizzie yes you can slap a luggage tag on it..I put our pepsi in a separate box & slapped a label/luggage tag on it.. I told the porters what it was & checked it in as checked luggage in addition to my other checked luggage..I was not required to carry it on-board myself & did not put it in with my other checked luggage which contained clothing...The Pepsi was delivered to my cabin in one piece! Nothing was broken..I've also put other liquids such as mouthwash & double wrapped them in 2 gal zip lock bags, purchased from Target, & put those inside our checked luggage too...

Edited by serendipity1499

I think I read the same thing myself. Sadly info from HAL is not always 100% reliable ;)

So do I - I think it will be next policy change.:( But I am been informed loud and long that you can no longer leave the cases with the porter - you must carry them on yourself. That's what we did, last cruise. They went into my wheelie carryon.

I remember that as well. I suspect like you that this is something that will change as well. Some things don't appear in the Know before you go too quickly.;)

Lizzie yes you can slap a luggage tag on it..I put our pepsi in a separate box & slapped a label/luggage tag on it.. I told the porters what it was & checked it in as checked luggage in addition to my other checked luggage..I was not required to carry it on-board myself & did not put it in with my other checked luggage which contained clothing...The Pepsi was delivered to my cabin in one piece! Nothing was broken..I've also put other liquids such as mouthwash & double wrapped them in 2 gal zip lock bags, purchased from Target, & put those inside our checked luggage too...

How long ago? As mentioned there were several members of CC who quickly corrected me when I suggested the same thing. Perhaps it has changed recently. And according to Crews News' post, HAL says OK to take them onboard in your suitcase. No mention of slapping the luggage tag on and leaving them to be loaded with the luggage. We boarded in April, and carried it in a carry-on, saw no soda or water being checked otherwise.

There was a thread recently (Aug 24) that had a lot of discussion about carrying soda and water, or checking it. Some posters said it could be checked while others said it could not.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2091441&highlight=soda

I have no dog in this fight; the only beverage I carry on is wine. ;)

We've done it. The porter tagged the case. It was delivered to our cabin without problems.

We've done it. The porter tagged the case. It was delivered to our cabin without problems.

of course, everyone has at one time.

When was the last time you did it please? that might be helpful