Koningsdam problems

ren0312

So from the reviews it looks like a lot of people are unhappy with the koningsdam, so what can HAL do to right the ship? It seems it tried to cram too many passengers into the ship with too few crew relative to other HAL vessels, so maybe either increase the number of crew or reduce the number of passengers? Though the 2nd option would increase ticket prices. People also seem to be complaining about the horrible ergonomics of the bathrooms and the rooms being too small in general, plus not large enough space for things like the library and Explorations Cafe.

This is a worry when we have booked a 30 day cruise in Northern Europe

May be they might make some changers before 3rd. Sept 2017

Regards

I am on this cruise also, and I have thought about ways to adapt my own cruise routines to mitigate the reported problems. However, even those who love the ship complain about the weight of the chairs in the Lido, which would present an almost daily irritation since I travel solo. Nothing I can do about that, except increase the weights in my workouts.

I don't know who the "lot of people" are but I've just returned from a two week cruise on the Koningsdam and couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised. Indeed, I didn't hear one complaint. The ship never felt crowded, even on a sea day, and the range of "free" eating options was many and varied. My only complaints were the lack of amenities in the bathroom (the walk in shower was excellent, however) and the poor excuse for a promenade deck. Personally, the lack of a library didn't bother me as I carry my own reading with me on a Kindle, but there is an Explorations Cafe in the Crow's Nest. I concede that it is not well situated but this is offset by the Grand Dutch Cafe on Promenade Deck.

I agree...it is easy to complain...

The issues are design choices, for the most part. Little or no library is a choice, not a failure or a requirement. Explorations Cafe...choice. Complaining about number of crew has gone on at least since the recession.

Sort of like the options you chose for your new car. A/C, or not? Fancy sound system, or not? None are required, but some people think they are.

Edited by CruiserBruce

What amenities were missing? I need to know so I can bring what's missing.

Although there were soap, shampoo and conditioner dispensers in the walk-in shower, we had to ask for hand soap for the wash basin, and there was no vanity kit or similar in the bathroom.

Although there were soap, shampoo and conditioner dispensers in the walk-in shower, we had to ask for hand soap for the wash basin, and there was no vanity kit or similar in the bathroom.

It also seems to lack the storage of other HAL ships (the bathroom) in terms of small shelves and little counter space. However, the cabin had as much or more storage than other ships.

That being said, we loved our time on Koningsdam last May. I'm not sure what the complaints about the Explorations cafe are as it is laid out much like the Vista and Signature class ships. We only ever felt crowded when invited guests at new ports (to Koningsdam) were on board. While the atmosphere of the missing library is rather disappointing, there are other nice areas to find a quiet place to read or nap.

Love the Royal Dutch Cafe and New York Deli and Pizza additions, both with many (or all free selections in the NYD) free choices. While the chairs in the Lido are heavy, mame42, I saw many of the wait staff pulling chairs out for guests and there is some bench-type seating along the aisles.

All in all, I really liked the ship. The Promenade is walkable, just without seats. A larger Promenade would have meant outdoor muster drills, something so many complain about here. And, as CruiserBruce points out, staff cuts are a thing of economics and, no matter the ship class, is something none of us likes.

I really don't think things are as bad with Koningsdam as some here fear. :)

Honestly, some of the bad reviews are longtime HAL customers that are just angry that the Kdam is not what they hoped for in a new ship. It's not wrong to think that, but it's not the complete realty.

From what I've heard Kdam's getting the best post-cruise survey results of any ship in the fleet not named Westerdam.

As always, YMMV.

It also seems to lack the storage of other HAL ships (the bathroom) in terms of small shelves and little counter space. However, the cabin had as much or more storage than other ships.

That being said, we loved our time on Koningsdam last May. I'm not sure what the complaints about the Explorations cafe are as it is laid out much like the Vista and Signature class ships. We only ever felt crowded when invited guests at new ports (to Koningsdam) were on board. While the atmosphere of the missing library is rather disappointing, there are other nice areas to find a quiet place to read or nap.

Love the Royal Dutch Cafe and New York Deli and Pizza additions, both with many (or all free selections in the NYD) free choices. While the chairs in the Lido are heavy, mame42, I saw many of the wait staff pulling chairs out for guests and there is some bench-type seating along the aisles.

All in all, I really liked the ship. The Promenade is walkable, just without seats. A larger Promenade would have meant outdoor muster drills, something so many complain about here. And, as CruiserBruce points out, staff cuts are a thing of economics and, no matter the ship class, is something none of us likes.

I really don't think things are as bad with Koningsdam as some here fear. :)

Perhaps I should have said I was making mental adjustments in my cruise routine to account for the differences on the K, instead of the problems. I fully expect to thoroughly enjoy her.

The initial consensus at our M&G was that the reviews badly represented the real ship. Sure things are different than the other HAL ships, the library is almost non existent, sitting on the toilet your knees touch the shower, chairs in the Lido are heavier than other HAL ships, but for every minus, real or imagined there are pluses. Like life itself there are trade offs and I would sail on her again in a heartbeat

Bob

Dear Fellow Travelers:

We'll be boarding the Koningsdam in November, and have followed the reviews closely; the percentage is currently at 56% :eek: Yet, when you read the Pros, something doesn't add up: Outstanding service, exceptional cuisine, great entertainment options???

Hmmm, something doesn't seem quite right, and I'm wondering if it's the "C" word, "Change" that can be translated by way of neural connections as the "L" word or "Loss." This is understandable, especially when personal expectations aren't being met.

My gut tells me that the crew will be working extra hard to give the service and smiles that are HAL's trademarks. ;) We are looking forward to being there to experience the K's first Caribbean stops, and are well educated thanks to the CC community, on what may not be there anymore.

At any rate, we won't be hard to recognize - we'll be that couple walking the deck hand in hand...smiling and celebrating that we were able to make one more cruise...hopefully we'll get many smiles back:):)

Well I was on the Volendam, and from what I see I do not see any reason to change, I mean HAL may appeal to the 60 plus demographic but remember that based on demographic projections the over 60 demographics of the US and Europe is expected to grow as a percentage of the population, and anyway that it the demographic that actually has the money to spend, not cash strapped millenials working in Starbucks or Subway.

Remember everything is subjective. I was on the Koningsdam in July and while the ship is lovely I felt that she was too cramped and crowded for my liking. I have cruised many times and based on my experiences with other lines and Holland America I thought the ship could have had a better flow to it. I also noticed on my sailing a lot of new crew joining the ship and they utilized the Crows Nest and other public venues, such as the Lido, to spend time in. This seemed to add to the crowded feel to public spaces. Also I noticed a lack of organization when it came to the head staff, making easy things complicated. Keep in mind though she is a new ship so all of this may change as they adjust things and get used to the new design and spaces.

Despite how I felt, I still enjoyed my cruise and would give her another go around if she is sailing an itinerary I would like to sail on. Go on the cruise, enjoy, and come to your own conclusions.

Edited by nycruiser80

This is a good thread for me to read. Our cruise on K will be our first HAL cruise. We sail Royal Caribbean and Princess. Go over to the Princess boards and you will see the same type of complaints about their new ships. People seem to want new but then are not happy because the things they like on previous ships aren't there. I think you have to decide what is a must on a cruise for you and what you don't mind giving up.

I can't remember when AC was an option on a car and I'll be 53 in two days. Yeah the toilet placement is awkward, but the shower looks large and most importantly does not have that HORRIBLE shower curtain! Bringing our own reading material, and I'm sure the two of us will be able to move one chair.

I'll also be on the first 10 day Caribbean sailing of the KDam and can hardly wait until November. It has some features that (for me and my S.O.) more than make up for the loss of things we rarely or never used.

The new casual dining options, like the Grand Dutch Cafe and the NY Deli & Pizza, will allow us to avoid the Lido a bit. We use our e-readers, not the library. We can get enough sea air on our verandah, and can still walk in a number of areas (including the gym). I've been on 8 previous HAL cruises and have never sat in a deck chair on the Promenade.

We're fortunate enough to be in an SA cabin, so the commode is in the area where the dressing table used to be, not crowded in against the shower/tub.

I had mourned the loss of the string quartets of years ago (like the Rosario Strings), but now there is the Lincoln Center area that seems to be even better. I have never been in a Northern Lights disco on any ship, so I don't miss that. The only piano bar I've spent more than 5 minutes in was on another cruise line many years ago. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Billboard Onboard morph into a conventional piano bar.

I do sympathize with those long time HAL devotees who utilized facilities that no longer, or barely, exist. There are some CC members who have posted lengthy reviews, whose opinion I respect, and those members are the ones who have given the KDam good reviews. I'm sure that the older HAL ships, having traditional Promenades and deck chairs and libraries will be around for many years. I hope that those who miss the traditional features will see them maintained for the future, although they may not be forever.

I agree...it is easy to complain...

The issues are design choices, for the most part. Little or no library is a choice, not a failure or a requirement. Explorations Cafe...choice. Complaining about number of crew has gone on at least since the recession.

Sort of like the options you chose for your new car. A/C, or not? Fancy sound system, or not? None are required, but some people think they are.

A/C or not!!!!! Really?

A/C or not!!!!! Really?

Sarcasm?

My first airconditioned car was from year 2000. Al my cars before 2000 did not have airconditioning. In Europe before 2000 AC was not standard, but an expensive extra. We forget quickly. Who remembers the time when there were no cellphones?: :)

Sarcasm?

My first airconditioned car was from year 2000. Al my cars before 2000 did not have airconditioning. In Europe before 2000 AC was not standard, but an expensive extra. We forget quickly. Who remembers the time when there were no cellphones?: :)

Yes a little sarcasm! And when I grew up in Florida in 50's and 60's A/C

not standard in cars or houses. In 70's in Colorado A/C not standard in cars or houses. Don't have any desire to go back to those days, thank you. Don't believe A/C in car is an "option" for about 99% of buyers any more. Maybe in Iceland or AK I guess, but for most people NOT. Times do change i.e Global Warming!

Jane

I can't remember when AC was an option on a car and I'll be 53 in two days. Yeah the toilet placement is awkward, but the shower looks large and most importantly does not have that HORRIBLE shower curtain! Bringing our own reading material, and I'm sure the two of us will be able to move one chair.

A/C or not!!!!! Really?

I am 60, and the first car I had with AC was in 1982- also my first new car. But none of the many family cars we had growing up, and the first two used cars I had had A/C.

My point is that most of these complaints are, as one poster very clearly said, is about change. So people think things should never change...just be the same, but new again. The designers and HAL felt differently.

The designers probably tried to make each space more efficient than in the past, thus in some cabins there isn't enough space around the toilet for some people. Less space for Explorations Cafe is a choice, and attempting to maximize revenue for a space- business decision. The library doesn't generate revenue...business decision.

None of these issues are deal breakers for us...but that is just us.

Of course many new things were added to K Dam. But most of the complaining is about old things that have been changed. Change is hard on some people.

I have almost 200 days on HAL and I absolutely loved the Koningsdam ( the other 3 women in my group did as well!

The entertainment was definitely better than it has been on the other ships, loved the new Music Walk (the ship felt more "alive" at night), loved the new Lido Market and the Dutch Cafe

Yes, I will miss the loungers on the Promenade deck on a Caribbean cruise but that won't stop me from sailing her....there are plenty of outside areas to sit.

It did not feel any more crowded to us than the other ships

Explorations Cafe seems the same as on the Vista ships, with the exception of the Noordam where it is on deck 3...there are fewer computers up there as I guess they feel most people have their phones, ipads, etc.

Dear Fellow Travelers:

We'll be boarding the Koningsdam in November, and have followed the reviews closely; the percentage is currently at 56% :eek: Yet, when you read the Pros, something doesn't add up: Outstanding service, exceptional cuisine, great entertainment options???

Hmmm, something doesn't seem quite right, and I'm wondering if it's the "C" word, "Change" that can be translated by way of neural connections as the "L" word or "Loss." This is understandable, especially when personal expectations aren't being met.

My gut tells me that the crew will be working extra hard to give the service and smiles that are HAL's trademarks. ;) We are looking forward to being there to experience the K's first Caribbean stops, and are well educated thanks to the CC community, on what may not be there anymore.

At any rate, we won't be hard to recognize - we'll be that couple walking the deck hand in hand...smiling and celebrating that we were able to make one more cruise...hopefully we'll get many smiles back:):)

I like the cut of your jib! My Fiancee and I are getting hitched on this sailing in Nov, and we will be right behind you hand in hand excited to experience the new ship. We went on a Carnival out of Tampa last year, even though we love HAL, and found that if you're looking to complain, you'll always find something. It's your vacation, why try to find problems?

I like the cut of your jib! My Fiancee and I are getting hitched on this sailing in Nov, and we will be right behind you hand in hand excited to experience the new ship. We went on a Carnival out of Tampa last year, even though we love HAL, and found that if you're looking to complain, you'll always find something. It's your vacation, why try to find problems?

Congratulations Ayrity...so happy for you! We'll be on the November 13th to 22nd sailing. Love your saying, "Cut of your jib!"

All the best to you,

M & M:):)

My sister and I just got off the Koningsdam after a 12 nighter from Amsterdam to Rome. Granted the new ship is different than all of the other Dam ships but we enjoyed the cruise . We only ate in the Lido most nights and ate once in Canaletto and once in the Pinnacle Grill. We never had a problem finding a seat at Breakfast and at dinner. Really liked the new station concept in the Lido. Yes the chairs are heavy but they are not immovable. I think you would have to be exceptionally weak to not be able to move ghem. And you can always ask for help. There were always a lot of Lido stewards cleaning tables,serving water, coffee, etc. I saw them several times helping people that needed help getting their food to their table.

The balcony cabin we had was smaller but okay. Lots of closet space but not much drawer space. The bathroom was manageable for us but we are short. I agree that there isn't much shelf space in the bathroom but most ships don't have that much in their bathrooms.

Like I said we enjoyed the cruise but not sure about sailing the Koningsdam again. It would have to be a great itinerary at a great price.