Dutch or French side?

GreenGuyJ

The best shopping is in Phillisburg which is on the Dutch side pretty close to the port (you can take a water taxi or even walk (about 30 min). There are several dozen beaches scattered around the island on both the Dutch and French side. When we stay on the island we often choose our beach (this is what we do every day) based on the winds and sea conditions. If the seas are too rough at places like Orient Beach, there will be other beaches (like Mullet or Galion) which are relatively calm. There are also beaches we go to be along (like Happy Bay) and beaches we go where there are lots of facilities and restaurants (like Orient Bay). As to the French side (where we stay when we vacation on the island) some folks enjoy browsing around Marigot...although we do think this town is overrated by many cruisers not to mention relatively far from the port.

Hank

Grand Case, north of Marigot, is full of restaurants and has a real "French beach resort" feel. Marigot has an open craft market (Wednesday's and Saturdays, I believe) if you like that kind of thing. There is a real "nitty gritty" local community - Quartier des Orleans - if you want to see how the locals live, but it is not particularly pretty. That pretty much covers the French side. Hlitner is right about the beaches -- you do want to pick based on wind and waves - our favorites are Dawn Beach, facing the Atlantic, and Baie Rouge, facing north - both of which can get pretty rough, making Le Galion or Mullet better. Frankly, I think Orient is over-crowded and over-rated, but to each his own.

Grand Case, north of Marigot, is full of restaurants and has a real "French beach resort" feel. Marigot has an open craft market (Wednesday's and Saturdays, I believe) if you like that kind of thing. There is a real "nitty gritty" local community - Quartier des Orleans - if you want to see how the locals live, but it is not particularly pretty. That pretty much covers the French side. Hlitner is right about the beaches -- you do want to pick based on wind and waves - our favorites are Dawn Beach, facing the Atlantic, and Baie Rouge, facing north - both of which can get pretty rough, making Le Galion or Mullet better. Frankly, I think Orient is over-crowded and over-rated, but to each his own.

ARGH. We try to keep Grand Case a secret from cruisers since this is where we rent a condo when staying on the island :). Many of the best restaurants in this small village are not even open for lunch. And then there are the so-called LoLo's ...which is a story in itself.

Hank

P.S. We support the new local initiative to ban beach chairs (from restaurants) in Grand Case.

Edited by Hlitner

ARGH. We try to keep Grand Case a secret from cruisers since this is where we rent a condo when staying on the island :). Many of the best restaurants in this small village are not even open for lunch. And then there are the so-called LoLo's ...which is a story in itself.

Hank

P.S. We support the new local initiative to ban beach chairs (from restaurants) in Grand Case.

The restraints need customers. There are quite a few open for lunch now. Bring the cruisers. The beach bars that will be laying people off if there are no chairs allowed on the beach will be laying off locals who need the jobs.

The restraints need customers. There are quite a few open for lunch now. Bring the cruisers. The beach bars that will be laying people off if there are no chairs allowed on the beach will be laying off locals who need the jobs.

We hear you and are conflicted because we think of Grand Case from the point of view of folks who have stayed in that town...and also from the cruise passenger point of view (we do a lot of cruising). But the reality is that cruise ship passengers have done a lot of harm to many parts of the Caribbean while helping others. No problem with cruise passengers that want to sample good food (we do this ourselves) and enjoy the view. But the small beach at Grand Case will not do well if it gets overrun with daytrippers. The town is somewhat unique on the island and turning it into another Orient Bay might help a few bars/restaurants along the beach...but also destroy the town. The funny thing is that although we are frequent cruisers (literally years on cruise ships) when we stay on St Martin/Marteen we choose a place not impacted by cruise ship passengers. And when the ships are in....we generally avoid the beaches popular with cruise ship passengers....saving those for weekend when there are few (or no) ships in port.

Also consider that the movement to ban those beach chairs is coming from those who live in that town. And among that crowd are quite a few restaurant owners and employees. The shocker for many cruisers is that some islands (and towns) do not want any part of the cruise industry or its passengers. In fact, islands like St Barts and Anguilla do a lot to keep ships (or at least larger ships) far away...as the islanders (and most businesses) do not want the influx of day visitors.

Even in our own country, not every community wants cruise ships (and their passengers). A great example is Charleston where a nice cruise facility was built right in the downtown area. And soon afterwards, many of the locals started a major campaign to stop the cruise ships (and they have had some success). They saw the ships as having a more negative impact then positive.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hank

Sorry about spilling the beans. Of course we like Grand Case for an occasional evening while staying at Dawn Beach - and would never even think of, or recommend, going there while on a short port call on a cruise ship - that would be a terrible mistake for a cruise passenger to even consider.

We have gone to the French side for lunch and walking around a few times but usually stay on the Dutch side. If there are a lot of ships in with you, the traffic can back up something awful trying to return at the end of your day. I think it worth it to go once of twice if you plan to travel often to Caribbean but if this will likely be your only cruise to St.. Maarten, I would stay on the Dutch side.

JMO........

If you want to get a sense of the island than I would visit the French side but if you are looking for shopping as Hank mentioned the town within about a 10 to 15 minute walk of the port has great shopping. We purchase very little in ports but this port does have good values and we have made an exception and done some shopping here.

Keith

We hear you and are conflicted because we think of Grand Case from the point of view of folks who have stayed in that town...and also from the cruise passenger point of view (we do a lot of cruising). But the reality is that cruise ship passengers have done a lot of harm to many parts of the Caribbean while helping others. No problem with cruise passengers that want to sample good food (we do this ourselves) and enjoy the view. But the small beach at Grand Case will not do well if it gets overrun with daytrippers. The town is somewhat unique on the island and turning it into another Orient Bay might help a few bars/restaurants along the beach...but also destroy the town. The funny thing is that although we are frequent cruisers (literally years on cruise ships) when we stay on St Martin/Marteen we choose a place not impacted by cruise ship passengers. And when the ships are in....we generally avoid the beaches popular with cruise ship passengers....saving those for weekend when there are few (or no) ships in port.

Also consider that the movement to ban those beach chairs is coming from those who live in that town. And among that crowd are quite a few restaurant owners and employees. The shocker for many cruisers is that some islands (and towns) do not want any part of the cruise industry or its passengers. In fact, islands like St Barts and Anguilla do a lot to keep ships (or at least larger ships) far away...as the islanders (and most businesses) do not want the influx of day visitors.

Even in our own country, not every community wants cruise ships (and their passengers). A great example is Charleston where a nice cruise facility was built right in the downtown area. And soon afterwards, many of the locals started a major campaign to stop the cruise ships (and they have had some success). They saw the ships as having a more negative impact then positive.

Hank

I think its safe to say that if the ship is larger than a mega yacht it's too large for the people of St. Bart's. lol

Until Marigot starts accepting large cruise ships I don't think that Grand Case is going to be over taken by cruise passengers. The haters gonna hate but here are my reasons for saying that. :p It's not walking distance of the pier, you can't get there on a $2 bus, it doesn't have nude people to mock and the airport is not close enough to watch the planes landing and taking off from. :rolleyes:

Sorry about spilling the beans. Of course we like Grand Case for an occasional evening while staying at Dawn Beach - and would never even think of, or recommend, going there while on a short port call on a cruise ship - that would be a terrible mistake for a cruise passenger to even consider.

We had 7 possibly 8 ships in port one New Years cruise. Driving to Grand Case either on your own like we did or in a taxi took maybe a few minutes longer than when we do the drive in the summer with no ships in port and that was the getting out of the port/town part.

It's 45 minutes via taxi or car. It takes that long to get to Maho with 2 ships in port although the distance is much shorter.

8-5 is plenty of time to visit Grand Case. I have read posts from you helping out those that want to rent a car before while on a "short" cruise stop. Why would never even think of, or recommend" going to Grand Case on a cruise stop :confused:. Why?

I honestly would rather drive 45 minutes and actually get away from the cruise ship crowds when on a cruise than drive 45 minutes to be where the cruisers are. Perhaps that's just me.

I know that $50 round trip for 2 is not in everyone's budget but to say that you would NEVER recommend Grand Case on a cruise stop has me floored quite honestly. There are folks that have visited St. Maarten 10 times or more on cruise stops and I think that many of them would like a change and that Grand Case with its boutiques, 2 beaches, beautiful scenery and wonderful restaurant/beach bars ( plenty of which are open for lunch now) could be the change that they are looking for.

Edited by Karysa

[quote name=Karysa;48360550

8-5 is plenty of time to visit Grand Case. I have read posts from you helping out those that want to rent a car before while on a "short" cruise stop. Why would never even think of' date=' or recommend" going to Grand Case on a cruise stop :confused:. Why?

I know that $50 round trip for 2 is not in everyone's budget but to say that you would NEVER recommend Grand Case on a cruise stop has me floored quite honestly. /QUOTE]

Read in context of this thread, my comments were part of my tongue-in-cheek apology to Hlitner for spilling the beans about Grand Case.

But he does have a point about not wanting thousands of day trippers to descend on a small community. While they do bring revenue, they also destroy the ambience.

I remember the efforts many years ago of locals who wanted to keep tour busses off Martha's Vineyard -- they referred to the mobs of "off-islanders" who came with one shirt and a twenty dollar bill and didn't change either.

Sure, tourists can help a local economy - but they can also destroy the foundation for that economy.

I think its safe to say that if the ship is larger than a mega yacht it's too large for the people of St. Bart's. lol

Until Marigot starts accepting large cruise ships I don't think that Grand Case is going to be over taken by cruise passengers. The haters gonna hate but here are my reasons for saying that. :p It's not walking distance of the pier, you can't get there on a $2 bus, it doesn't have nude people to mock and the airport is not close enough to watch the planes landing and taking off from. :rolleyes:

ROFL! But you forgot one. They do not have an excursion (for $200) to take them there.

Hank

P.S. Yes, we know the $200 is an exaggeration (should have said $199)

Edited by Hlitner

[quote name=Karysa;48360550

8-5 is plenty of time to visit Grand Case. I have read posts from you helping out those that want to rent a car before while on a "short" cruise stop. Why would never even think of' date=' or recommend" going to Grand Case on a cruise stop :confused:. Why?

I know that $50 round trip for 2 is not in everyone's budget but to say that you would NEVER recommend Grand Case on a cruise stop has me floored quite honestly. /QUOTE]

Read in context of this thread, my comments were part of my tongue-in-cheek apology to Hlitner for spilling the beans about Grand Case.

But he does have a point about not wanting thousands of day trippers to descend on a small community. While they do bring revenue, they also destroy the ambience.

I remember the efforts many years ago of locals who wanted to keep tour busses off Martha's Vineyard -- they referred to the mobs of "off-islanders" who came with one shirt and a twenty dollar bill and didn't change either.

Sure, tourists can help a local economy - but they can also destroy the foundation for that economy.

So you don't think that spending 45 minutes or $50 for 2 to get away from the cruiseship crowd is too high a price to pay for all cruisers then?

ROFL! But you forgot one. They do not have an excursion (for $200) to take them there.

Hank

P.S. Yes, we know the $200 is an exaggeration (should have said $199)

Speaking of exaggerations Hank? I can't wait to read the list of beaches on the island of St. Maarten that you would recommend to cruisers over Grand Case beach. You said most or a majority of them but I decided to give you a break and only ask for 20 or so. That's over on the Grand Case may ban beach chairs thread for those cruisers looking for beach recommendations.

I think that we should be responsible in what we recommend or don't recommend to our fellow cc members. Mock me if you want. I couldn't care less.:)

Edited by Karysa

So you don't think that spending 45 minutes or $50 for 2 to get away from the cruiseship crowd is too high a price to pay for all cruisers then?

I was not thinking, or talking, about the price cruisers would have to pay - rather I was referring to the price the community (and the people who like it the way it is) would have to pay if too many cruisers decided to check it out.

Again: I only got on this thread to support Hlitner's hope that Grand Case not be damaged by too much popularity --- and my urging people not to consider going there was tongue-in-cheek.

I was not thinking, or talking, about the price cruisers would have to pay - rather I was referring to the price the community (and the people who like it the way it is) would have to pay if too many cruisers decided to check it out.

Again: I only got on this thread to support Hlitner's hope that Grand Case not be damaged by too much popularity --- and my urging people not to consider going there was tongue-in-cheek.

Ok fair enough.

I am glad that someone didn't like Polignano a mare near Bari, Italy too much and tried to discourage me from going there when I was looking for a beach for 5 teens and 4 parents in the middle of my first European cruise. It was the perfect day from start to finish and much of that was because of the help with the bus and train schedules and walking instructions that I needed and ask for, and received from my fellow cc'ers.

Edited by Karysa

"Grand Case, North of Marigot, is full of restaurants and has a real "French beach resort" feel".

That's a good way to describe Grand Case. I may borrow it.:)

Ok fair enough.

I am glad that someone didn't like Polignano a mare near Bari, Italy too much and tried to discourage me from going there when I was looking for a beach for 5 teens and 4 parents in the middle of my first European cruise. It was the perfect day from start to finish and much of that was because of the help with the bus and train schedules and walking instructions that I needed and ask for, and received from my fellow cc'ers.

This whole concept is reminiscent to the situation in Westport, CT - where everyone goes to Compo Beach - if they do not descend on Sherwood Island in their thousands - and completely ignore that finer, uncrowded, smaller beach -- whose name and location I will never divulge. There are things (not just beaches) which do not survive popularity.

This whole concept is reminiscent to the situation in Westport, CT - where everyone goes to Compo Beach - if they do not descend on Sherwood Island in their thousands - and completely ignore that finer, uncrowded, smaller beach -- whose name and location I will never divulge. There are things (not just beaches) which do not survive popularity.

That's why the village will decide about the beach chairs in Grand Case. All beaches are public though and my trusty $3 lined plastic table cloth is portable and so convenient when visiting beaches that do not have chairs or if I am only staying a short time. It keeps my towel out of the sand and gives me a place to lie down out of the sand.

All beaches on the island are public so one just needs to adapt if they want to visit Grand Case or Petite Plage if the beach chairs become a thing of the past.

The best shopping is in Phillisburg which is on the Dutch side pretty close to the port (you can take a water taxi or even walk (about 30 min).

Hank

For what little its worth, its almost exactly a 1/2 mile walk and I walk a steady 14 minute mile, so its a 7-10 min walk for most people. I usually beat people waiting in line to take the water taxi to the ship.

For what little its worth, its almost exactly a 1/2 mile walk and I walk a steady 14 minute mile, so its a 7-10 min walk for most people. I usually beat people waiting in line to take the water taxi to the ship.

Reading your post brings some images to mind of cruisers who can barely walk have the length of a ship without stopping to rest...or those that use elevators to go down one deck :). Personally, we can walk into town in about 10 min (depending where in town) and often do make the walk...but often get delayed by a stop at a "watering hole" such as Chesterfields.

As to the distance, it is about 1500 feet from the middle of the piers to just to the entrance of the port (the only route). Once at the entrance it is about another 3000 feet just to get into the first few blocks of town...and if you are heading to the central area you can add about another 1000 feet. So that works out to about a mile for that part of town that most want to visit. For moi that is a 16 min stroll... but most cruisers would realistically need at least 20 min or more.

Two years ago, while we were staying on the island, we met some friends who were visiting on a Celebrity cruise. We told them to meet us at the main gate of the port. It took them about 15 to get from the ship to that gate...and they were already sweating and exhausted. Such is the conditioning of many cruisers.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

But for the grace of God ......

Anyone of us at any time can be hit with disease that takes our ability to walk. None of us have any guarantees as to what illness may befall us.

For those who struggle with mobility, do the best you can. If you need a taxi, so be it. If you need help getting to the top of the pier, so be it.

For those who can walk, enjoy the walk. It's very pleasant.

Edited by sail7seas