Train Civi Port to Rome

cruisequeen4ever

I now can't edit my above post, but I did some more online sleuthing. It looks like NCL Epic generally docks at 12B, which location I found on the Civitavecchia website. If that's accurate, I think it would be significantly faster to walk through the port, exit near the Michelangelo Fort (which the port website notes as being the pedestrian entrance to the port) and go straight to the train station. Google Maps estimates 24 minutes walking time as Terpnut noted above.

I think I've attached the map but am really not sure (sorry!). Is this the path that others have used to reach the train station?

Civitavecchia.jpg.307713565255d5db0b2b58c0db1f9056.jpg

We did this about 2 to 3 years ago. We walked from the train to the port and it honestly did not take that long - maybe 15 minutes. That is to the entrance of the port. Had some time so we went to the local McDonald's, about a block east of the entrance to the port.

We did this about 2 to 3 years ago. We walked from the train to the port and it honestly did not take that long - maybe 15 minutes. That is to the entrance of the port. Had some time so we went to the local McDonald's, about a block east of the entrance to the port.

Was this before or after the entrance to the port was relocated about 2 years ago? The distance now from the train station to the NEW port entrance is about twice as far....

Midwest_Traveler: I don't think it's forbidden to walk out of the port (unlike Florence). As to whether one is faster than the other, I'm not sure -- probably depends greatly on your actual location, walking speed, and how long you have to wait for a shuttle. Either way probably won't be a HUGE time savings....

I was on the Jewel TA 2 weeks ago and needed to get to the station for a 7:58 train. Here is what happened and a lot of things to look out for.

The ship docked as promised at 5 AM. We were told the day before that self departure would commence at 6:30. At 6:15 there were about 200 people on line on deck 5. Departure was from deck 2.

So far all okay except that the authorities for whatever reason did not clear the ship until 7:10. The line kept getting longer and peoples tempers higher especially those with early flights

I managed to become number 3 on line at the deck 2 door as I was able to carry my bags down to Deck 2 and not wait for the 3 elevators that the staff had commandeered to get the people down. I exited without stopping and went straight to the shuttle bus and then had to wait about 10 minutes for it to fill up. It is about 7 minutes to the port gate. Luckily there was a van driver looking for fares to the station ( 5 Euro apiece, great deal) I did not even stop to look if there was a public bus to the station. We quickly filled up and were at the station at 7:35.

The van lets you off at the back of the station which is good as this is were the trains to Rome leave from. If you have a online ticket you can go straight up after going down by stairs from the street and avoid going up stairs to the ticket window and then down and up again to the platform.

I made it on time but my heart and nerves were coming apart for 2 hours as I had a connection to Venice (I had to take that train) and my ticket was non transferable and non refundable. As a side note no one checked the ticket when we got on, or off at Termini

Moral of the story--- Even if everything goes right on the ship, which it did, there is always a possibility for delays anywhere along the way so you should always add an hour or 2 to what you think that you could do.

I now can't edit my above post, but I did some more online sleuthing. It looks like NCL Epic generally docks at 12B, which location I found on the Civitavecchia website. If that's accurate, I think it would be significantly faster to walk through the port, exit near the Michelangelo Fort (which the port website notes as being the pedestrian entrance to the port) and go straight to the train station. Google Maps estimates 24 minutes walking time as Terpnut noted above.

I think I've attached the map but am really not sure (sorry!). Is this the path that others have used to reach the train station?

Ah, hence the confusion. :) If you dock at 12B I can well see that it could be quicker to walk to the station, rather than wait for a shuttle. That's the location where all the ships used to dock a few years ago. However, with the increase in cruise ships to the port many of the bigger ships (RC and Celebrity for instance) now dock at 25 which is significantly further away.

Sorry, have searched on a map and don't know where Varco Fortezza is :confused: However I did not estimate the distance I used points on Googlemaps between the station and the main terminal building (which is actually more like a large tent). In fact the map will only let me measure from the end of the road which is around 100 yds from the terminal itself. According to the map it's around 3 km and around a 40 minute walk - and this walk is through car parks and around roundabouts which have no sidewalks. By all means walk it, if you think you'll save time but I can assure you - having sailed from and called in Civitavecchia at least twice a year since they moved the main terminal - it will take you more than 22-25 minutes. ;)

We've never waited longer than 10 minutes for a port bus and the ride takes around 5 minutes. We will catch shuttle to the station if one is about to leave, otherwise we do the 15-20 minute walk.

I believe Varco Fortezza is the official name of the port entrance at Forte Michelangelo. And as per the subsequent comments, yes, I had assumed our port terminal would be 12 A/B which explains the difference in walking distances/estimates.

Ah, hence the confusion. :) If you dock at 12B I can well see that it could be quicker to walk to the station, rather than wait for a shuttle. That's the location where all the ships used to dock a few years ago. However, with the increase in cruise ships to the port many of the bigger ships (RC and Celebrity for instance) now dock at 25 which is significantly further away.
As with Midwest_Traveler, I too have never docked anywhere but at 12B (even as recently as what, three summers ago)?. So I guess the question is: how does one know where our ship will dock since it doesn't appear that the Civitavecchia port authority publishes this info? I didn't even know there was a Terminal 25 or been out there, but is this where all, or just most, of the ships dock now? Looks like Midwest_Traveler might get lucky since Epic does seem to still use 12B. But I may be SOL with Brilliance OTS the next day because you are saying RC is now using 25!? :confused: Edited by Terpnut

. But I may be SOL with Brilliance OTS the next day because you are saying RC is now using 25!? :confused:

Every time we have cruised with RC and Celebrity for the last few years they have docked at 25. I have taken the liberty of looking at your posts and can see that you are on the Brilliance on 1 July. We are doing exactly that itinerary next week so I will come back onto this thread and confirm which berth we are at.

However, I would point out that we did the very same itinerary on Serenade in 2014 and were definitely at Pier 25 then.

OK, question for you guys:

We are arriving into Civitavecchia, staying at a hotel near Piazza Barberini overnight. We planned to take the train from Civi to Termini, then likely a cab or from Termini to the hotel. Is it really a far walk at Termini station from the track to the exit where we can grab a cab? Is it clear where to go? Would it be better to get off at an earlier stop and take the subway to Barberini?

OK, question for you guys:

We are arriving into Civitavecchia, staying at a hotel near Piazza Barberini overnight. We planned to take the train from Civi to Termini, then likely a cab or from Termini to the hotel. Is it really a far walk at Termini station from the track to the exit where we can grab a cab? Is it clear where to go? Would it be better to get off at an earlier stop and take the subway to Barberini?

The simple answer is Yes! It is a long walk from the Track, through the very long terminal, to the main doors where they have the taxi queue. I would guesstimate the distance at between 1/3 and 1/2 of a mile (all indoors). Years ago we would use a "secret" side exit (to a side street) that was pretty close to the Civitavecchia track, but that exit (and other auxiliary exits) are now alarmed (for emergency use only) due to the increased security at the station. There are lots of signs to the track exit and it would be near impossible to get lost trying to get out of the station. Since we assume you will have some luggage, we would probably go to Termini and not deal with the Metro. Keep in mind that the walk within Termini is flat and it is easy to roll your luggage.

Hank

The simple answer is Yes! It is a long walk from the Track, through the very long terminal, to the main doors where they have the taxi queue. I would guesstimate the distance at between 1/3 and 1/2 of a mile (all indoors). Years ago we would use a "secret" side exit (to a side street) that was pretty close to the Civitavecchia track, but that exit (and other auxiliary exits) are now alarmed (for emergency use only) due to the increased security at the station. There are lots of signs to the track exit and it would be near impossible to get lost trying to get out of the station. Since we assume you will have some luggage, we would probably go to Termini and not deal with the Metro. Keep in mind that the walk within Termini is flat and it is easy to roll your luggage.

Hank

I agree with Hank. The walking is easy in Termini (which it may not be if you exit the train and take the metro). You are not in a rush, so just take your time and pause if need be. The exits are at the station head and if you follow the crowd you really can't go wrong.

I agree with Hank. The walking is easy in Termini (which it may not be if you exit the train and take the metro). You are not in a rush, so just take your time and pause if need be. The exits are at the station head and if you follow the crowd you really can't go wrong.

Thanks Hank and Cruisemom! We will stick to our plan and exit at Termini.

Funny you should say we are not in a rush! You should see the day I have planned in Rome :eek: I hope to be able to leave our hotel in Rome (after checking in) by 11 am. That sounds about reasonable if we are off the ship by 7 am?

Every time we have cruised with RC and Celebrity for the last few years they have docked at 25. I have taken the liberty of looking at your posts and can see that you are on the Brilliance on 1 July. We are doing exactly that itinerary next week so I will come back onto this thread and confirm which berth we are at.

However, I would point out that we did the very same itinerary on Serenade in 2014 and were definitely at Pier 25 then.

I guess our best hope for a more favorable docking position may be driven by how busy the port is on a given day. Perhaps if a ship begins/end its itinerary in Civitavechhia with several others, the odds of using 25 are greater? If either of us are lucky enough to be the only ship in Civitavecchia for a port day, would they use 12B? Or is 25 the new "default" docking position? FYI I will be tracking Brilliance OTS using Cruisemapper.com for its next two calls (the second is yours!) in Civitavecchia to see where it docks! :)

Funny you should say we are not in a rush! You should see the day I have planned in Rome :eek: I hope to be able to leave our hotel in Rome (after checking in) by 11 am. That sounds about reasonable if we are off the ship by 7 am?

It sounds reasonable. Hope you have a great day in Rome. :D (My favorite city!)

Very reasonable. But you are somewhat at the mercy of the port shuttle to get you from pier to the transfer point...where you can then buy a ticket on the local shuttle bus that will take you to the station (it is a darn shame that the port shuttle bus does not just take folks direct to the train station).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Very reasonable. But you are somewhat at the mercy of the port shuttle to get you from pier to the transfer point...where you can then buy a ticket on the local shuttle bus that will take you to the station (it is a darn shame that the port shuttle bus does not just take folks direct to the train station).

Hank

Hank I think they are trying to encourage people to the town centre.

We took the bus towards the train station in the morning. We had plenty of time to get back so we walked back. it was a bit of a trek, but nothing like the walking we had done in Rome.

We always get back to Termini before 4 pm. An extra 30 minutes in Rome is not worth the stress that you will miss the ship. When we have been in July the trains have been *really* full. We usually have got seats though.

Hank I think they are trying to encourage people to the town centre.

We took the bus towards the train station in the morning. We had plenty of time to get back so we walked back. it was a bit of a trek, but nothing like the walking we had done in Rome.

We always get back to Termini before 4 pm. An extra 30 minutes in Rome is not worth the stress that you will miss the ship. When we have been in July the trains have been *really* full. We usually have got seats though.

Makes no sense. The transfer station (and terminus for the port shuttle) is nearly 1 mile from the best part of Civitavecchia. The central part of town was right next to the old port exit (which you can still use if you walk out of the port). We thought the bus system was well run (last month) but it still can take nearly 40 minutes to get from pier to train station....and we can walk it faster! The old port entrance/exit was much more convenient...and nobody seems to understand why the authorities changed to this new system.

Speaking of distances, where you and I might have no issue with a mile stroll, we were on a HAL cruise where a majority of cruisers would whine if they had to walk more then 100 yards (meters for most of the world).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Makes no sense. The transfer station (and terminus for the port shuttle) is nearly 1 mile from the best part of Civitavecchia. The central part of town was right next to the old port exit (which you can still use if you walk out of the port). We thought the bus system was well run (last month) but it still can take nearly 40 minutes to get from pier to train station....and we can walk it faster! The old port entrance/exit was much more convenient...and nobody seems to understand why the authorities changed to this new system.

Speaking of distances, where you and I might have no issue with a mile stroll, we were on a HAL cruise where a majority of cruisers would whine if they had to walk more then 100 yards (meters for most of the world).

Hank

As ollienbertsmum said above they are trying to encourage people into the town centre. In the past most people left the port by the fortress and made it straight to the station without even glancing at the town. This way at least they may walk through some of the town, perhaps stopping off to buy/eat/drink something.

The port of Salerno did the same thing when they moved their port bus stop much further away from the station, forcing people to go through town to get to the station. I have friends in Salerno who said that this was a conscious decision by the town mayor.

I guess it's understandable that these towns have thousands and thousands of people passing through them each summer and they want to try and maximise opportunities for local business to get some benefit

Reading all of this makes me think that we should get a private driver from Civitavecchia back into Rome at the end of our cruise.

It sounds like the port is overwhelmed with day trippers trying to make the most of their single day in Rome. Whereas we want a leisurely trip into Rome where we will be taking the fast train to Florence from Termini.

Would the train be more doable (with luggage, although we travel light), if we waited and disembarked as late as possible? (I have to book our Florence train in advance, so would have to work out some plausible, non-stressful timing to reach Termini.)

If a private car, how easy is it for drivers waiting at the port to find passengers who are disembarking?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

The old port entrance/exit was much more convenient...and nobody seems to understand why the authorities changed to this new system.

Hank

I have two pet "conspiracy" theories about it. (Meant to be tongue-in-cheek.)

Either the cruise lines underwrote the whole changeover from one exit to the other as a way to sell more of their expensive "Rome on Your Own" transportation packages, OR the city decided to create the change in order to make a profit from the 1 euro bus ride to and from the train station.

Anyway.....count me as another that preferred the old exit.

LOL, I think you're giving the authorities in Civitavecchia too much credit for strategic thinking.

My guess is that it has to do with security requirements and the cost of implementing them, it's cheaper and easier to centralize these functions.

Another question for you guys - I read that we can purchase BIRG from Civitavecchia to Rome. Questions :

1. What is the price? Still 12 Euro?

2. Is there another ticket option and what is the price?

3. We will be arriving into Civitavecchia the week prior by train. Can I buy my return ticket at the Civitavecchia train station upon arrival then?

Another question for you guys - I read that we can purchase BIRG from Civitavecchia to Rome. Questions :

1. What is the price? Still 12 Euro?

Yes, the BIRG ticket is currently €12 and can be purchased from the newsstand in the train station.

2. Is there another ticket option and what is the price?

You can purchase regional train tickets for €4,60 - €5 each way (it's five Euro if you go to Termini, €4,60 if you go to one of the prior stations).

3. We will be arriving into Civitavecchia the week prior by train. Can I buy my return ticket at the Civitavecchia train station upon arrival then?

Yes, you can purchase regional tickets up to two months prior to usage, they go "live" when you validate them by stamping them in one of the machines at the track (or in the station).

Note that the rules are different for tickets purchased on line. The above is for tickets purchased from authorized vendors (or machines) in Italy.

See notes above.

Edited by euro cruiser

We would just add that there are some independent cafes, coffee stands, and even a small agency located next to the train station, that sell BIRG tickets for 13€. Now you might wonder why anyone would pay an extra Euro for the ticket...and the answer is that the lines inside the station (especially early in the morning with lots of ships in port) can be long and frustrating. This happened to us last month as we were running to catch a train. If we had waited inside the station we would have missed the train and had to wait about 30 min for the next train. But just to the right of the train station, a local agency had set-up a table and was selling BIRG tickets for that extra Euro. We were happy to pay the extra money can catch our train :).

Hank