Intentionally missing ship to get to next port on your own?

2ferfun

Ok, has anyone ever done this and would NCL allow us to do this? NOTE: We DO NOT want to "just do this" without informing and getting permission from NCL first!

On our upcoming Med cruise we are going to port in Naples and then Rome the next day. Could we disembark in Naples, take the train to Rome and then spend the night in Rome, not returning to the ship until the next night when it departs Rome? We have figured out the logistics of this, we are merely asking if NCL would allow it.

This would give us extra time in Rome! Thoughts?:eek:

Practically speaking, you can probably do this. If you were to go on an excursion and miss the ship, then you are Usually allowed to reboard the ship whenever you can catch up to it.

This is something that you need to speak to Norwegian about....only they can approve it.

Here's my 2 cents.

I once disembarked myself in FLA from a cruise that started in NY (long story) then on a completely unrelated travel I was going through customs at SEA-TAC and had to pay a $300 fine because I violated some archaic law, by "missing" the cruise ship.

Ok, has anyone ever done this and would NCL allow us to do this? NOTE: We DO NOT want to "just do this" without informing and getting permission from NCL first!

On our upcoming Med cruise we are going to port in Naples and then Rome the next day. Could we disembark in Naples, take the train to Rome and then spend the night in Rome, not returning to the ship until the next night when it departs Rome? We have figured out the logistics of this, we are merely asking if NCL would allow it.

This would give us extra time in Rome! Thoughts?:eek:

Best thing to do is contact NCL & get it in writing

it is doable but you need to make sure they have given you permission ahead of time

I did a Med cruise on Celebrity, embarking in Civitavecchia with Naples as the first port. I was told by the crew that about a dozen people on each cruise miss the embarkation (with permission) and embark in Naples as they are vacationing on the Amalfi coast and want spend an extra day there.

The best one I have seen was a couple that did the 15 night repo of the NCL Spirit in Nov 2007. Cozumel being the last stop. They got off in Cozumel and stayed a month on the mainland for their honeymoon and wedding. Then got on the Carnival Fantasy to take them on to New Orleans as it was cheaper than airfare by booking a partial cruise.

Dave

On a Carnival cruise DD and I disembarked early (doesn't fully fit your scenario as we weren't reboarding the ship) as we didn't want to return to Dover and were extending our trip in Europe. We disembarked one day before the end of the cruise. I simply called Carnival and got it approved--very easy. They required our passports. There were people who wanted to disembark at the same time and I overheard their struggles as they hadn't gotten it preapproved. I suggest calling NCL. If they do approve it, be sure to get it in writing and bring it with you; once you're on the ship make sure they're aware of your plans. Sounds like a great idea! :)

Since the PVSA does not apply to European cruises I don't see where there would be any problems with it. These are considered Open Jaw cruises and people can embark and debark in any port. I think you would have to let the hotel manager know what you intend to do so that they are not worried when you don't show up back on the ship.

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like the thing to do is call NCL which I will do tomorrow, but its nice to know that others have seen/heard of this being done. Our countdown is in double digits now and we just cant hardly wait! :D

Here's my 2 cents.

I once disembarked myself in FLA from a cruise that started in NY (long story) then on a completely unrelated travel I was going through customs at SEA-TAC and had to pay a $300 fine because I violated some archaic law, by "missing" the cruise ship.

How far apart were these two instances? We disembarked last year in FL due to a medical emergency and never were billed the $300 per person for PVSA violation. Just wondering if one day we may suddenly be required to pay at customs on a future trip.

The 1886 Passenger Vessel Service Act if I'm remembering correctly is the fine imposed for transport of people between two us ports by a foreign vessel.

The 1920 Jones Act is a commerce law that is imposed when transportation of goods between two us ports by a foreign vessel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Sparkygirl

How far apart were these two instances? We disembarked last year in FL due to a medical emergency and never were billed the $300 per person for PVSA violation. Just wondering if one day we may suddenly be required to pay at customs on a future trip.

The 1886 Passenger Vessel Service Act if I'm remembering correctly is the fine imposed for transport of people between two us ports by a foreign vessel.

The 1920 Jones Act is a commerce law that is imposed when transportation of goods between two us ports by a foreign vessel.

I'm curious too! We missed the ship on our 1st cruise in Alaska because of flight delays. NCL made us fill out the form but we were never charged. I'm wondering if they will charge us this year when we try to board! (Flying in a day early this time!!)

I was wondering about this, too. With the new Eastern Caribbean itinerary including Tortola and St. Thomas, which are just a 40 minute ferry ride apart, it would be prime to spend extra time on the islands, then catch the ship the next day. Of course, one needs a passport to travel from USVI to BVI on their own, but still... Having stayed both places before, these islands are awesome when no ships are there. It might be worth looking into for someone.

I'm curious too! We missed the ship on our 1st cruise in Alaska because of flight delays. NCL made us fill out the form but we were never charged. I'm wondering if they will charge us this year when we try to board! (Flying in a day early this time!!)

The fine for violation of the PVSA is levied against the carrier (the cruise line), not the passenger. The cruise lines' ticket contract is what allows the cruise line to pass the fine on to you. This has caused so much confusion, that the CBP website regarding PVSA fines specifically states that the CBP doesn't care about passengers paying the fine. Sometimes, the line will pay the fine for a medical disembark, and then use the passenger's forms to get the fine refunded, since this is allowed for medical reasons. Sometimes, they pass the fine to the passenger and then tell the passenger to send the paperwork to CBP and do the work to get the refund. The fine is levied even in the case of a deceased passenger, though this will be refunded.

The fine for violation of the PVSA is levied against the carrier (the cruise line), not the passenger. The cruise lines' ticket contract is what allows the cruise line to pass the fine on to you. This has caused so much confusion, that the CBP website regarding PVSA fines specifically states that the CBP doesn't care about passengers paying the fine. Sometimes, the line will pay the fine for a medical disembark, and then use the passenger's forms to get the fine refunded, since this is allowed for medical reasons. Sometimes, they pass the fine to the passenger and then tell the passenger to send the paperwork to CBP and do the work to get the refund. The fine is levied even in the case of a deceased passenger, though this will be refunded.

Thank you! That makes sense...we had to provide a letter from the hospital that made the determination we could not return to the ship and instead needed further specialized care at another hospital to the cruise line and then never saw a bill even though NCL prepared us we might receive one.

I was wondering about this, too. With the new Eastern Caribbean itinerary including Tortola and St. Thomas, which are just a 40 minute ferry ride apart, it would be prime to spend extra time on the islands, then catch the ship the next day. Of course, one needs a passport to travel from USVI to BVI on their own, but still... Having stayed both places before, these islands are awesome when no ships are there. It might be worth looking into for someone.

I think the problem here would be more the WHTI and CBP regulations than the PVSA. Remember, the ship clears immigration with CBP every time it returns to a US port from a foreign port. Whether or not you have an interview with CBP like at disembarkation, at the first US port of return CBP will clear the ship, at least via the passenger manifest. If you leave the ship in Tortola, a new passenger manifest must be prepared to present to CBP when entering St. Thomas, showing you as not onboard. The WHTI is the CBP regulations that allow travel on closed loop cruises using the BC/DL form of documentation. This is because the passenger manifest, with your documentation, is submitted to CBP at the start of the cruise, and allows CBP the full duration of the cruise to investigate all passengers. Each time a new passenger manifest is presented, this must start all over again. For this reason, and the fact that CBP has a fee for clearing a ship, many cruise lines have stopped or restricted the late embarkations or early disembarkations that used to be common (non-flight delay). Additional to the cost, since the passenger manifest changed during the voyage, at disembarkation CBP can require a full passenger interview (more like an international flight clearance) than the cursory closed loop cruise interview. NCL experienced this last year in Tampa when they had a Tampa-Cozumel-Tampa cruise that they also marketed to European cruisers as a Cozumel-Tampa-Cozumel round trip. This caused massive delays in disembarkation because CBP had to handle the clearance differently since some passengers "embarked late" in Cozumel.

Just be aware if something happens and the ship misses the next port (Naples) you could be screwed..

That is good advice, but we are going backwards (from Naples to Rome) and I would much rather miss the ship in Rome than skip Rome altogether! That is the number 1 port we are looking forward to!

Called NCL this morning and they said this is no problem, several others are doing this as well. We have to fill out a form and then check in with PSD when we get onboard.

Thanks everyone for the input, now if someone could just help me speed up that clock...:D

• 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised NCL told u that. I called two weeks ago and the fellow had to talk to the supervisor. They have to get my request approved. I called again and they still do not know. My husband needs to get off in Athens. The cruise goes barcelona to venice. Flight is booked as everyone has said it shouldn't be a problem ( including an NCL agent) but I'm not sure why it is taking them so long?