Find me a black cardigan, please!

critterchick

How boring is that, LOL! I have read many posts about the "go with everything" black cardigan and am now searching for one for our upcoming Med cruise. I found a glorious Eileen Fisher one, but am not paying $378 (plus CA sales tax) for a sweater. Yes, it's quality, built for the ages, built to last, and I'm not going to do it.

So I would appreciate some brand name suggestions, with pictures if possible, of your fave. I'm looking for above the hip length, black or pearl buttons (could even be open), a pocket might be nice but isn't essential.

Thanks for your help!

What fabric? I am a cardigan addict.

I have a Chicos brand open weave black I wear all summer that I got in a thrift store. August Silk brand cotton & silk blend (also from a thrift store) that is great for work spring through fall and on warm winter days (I do live in NC). Gorgeous black cashmere from Saks Off - Fifth (Saks house brand) - I have 2 - a regular sweater with buttons and a crew neck and a waterfall sweater (I have that in black and a french blue).

For basic cotton, Talbots & Lands End have options. I have a few cheap options - 2 from Sonoma (Kohls) and 3-5 from Target (Merona brand) that are all casual cotton - solids & patterns.

If you can wait a couple of months, the fall cardigans will all be on clearance. I buy very little EF full price. Because it's so timeless, you can buy at the end of the season without worry that it will be terribly dated the following year.

You don't say what fabric you'd like. Check out Lands' End for some nice cotton ones:

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-supima-cardigan-sweater/id_234741#

Also, J Crew:

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/sweaters/cotton/PRDOVR~29350/29350.jsp?color_name=Black&TCode=GGBS00006_99102200651&sisearchengine=197&siproduct=29350&noPopUp=true&gclid=CLaS--mboMACFbRzMgodCyEAcw

I have many pieces of EF clothing and I have to say, not all of it lasts and is well made. You have to be careful. And, it's often way, way overpriced. Agree, always purchase on sale!

Just about every woman's clothing store, department store and so many on line sites have black cardigans. They are everywhere.

I have one from Eileen Fisher and love it but I also bought one on line from QVC..... I think it was Susan Graver or maybe Isaac Mizrahi. Noordstrom's also have Isaac Mizrahi cardigans. Keep looking. You cannot miss on this one, this year. :)

I also have several black cardigans....a couple of them are a fine gage

knit...while a couple are more casual.....it really does depend on what

you are looking for....fabric and style wise.

I do agree with "most major dept stores" carry them.:)

I also say "Google is your friend";)...type in "Black Cardigans" and see

what pops up:D....I bet you will get dozens of links!

If you can wait a couple of months, the fall cardigans will all be on clearance. I buy very little EF full price. Because it's so timeless, you can buy at the end of the season without worry that it will be terribly dated the following year.

I need one for late September, but I'm keeping my eye on that one.

I also have several black cardigans....a couple of them are a fine gage

knit...while a couple are more casual.....it really does depend on what

you are looking for....fabric and style wise.

I do agree with "most major dept stores" carry them.:)

I also say "Google is your friend";)...type in "Black Cardigans" and see

what pops up:D....I bet you will get dozens of links!

I did Google it and was quickly overwhelmed - it was hoping you all would help me narrow it down, and you have!:D

I did forget the fabric. I like the merino wool - it's soft and not too heavy, plus has a nice drape to it. Cashmere might be an option, too. The cotton ones I've seen are a little too casual. And long sleeves, not 3/4...

And if I could wear an XS, I'd go for the EF that Hoyaheel posted a link to. but alas, I need a large.

Thank you, ladies.:)

Edited by critterchick

You don't say what fabric you'd like. Check out Lands' End for some nice cotton ones:

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-supima-cardigan-sweater/id_234741#

Also, J Crew:

https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/sweaters/cotton/PRDOVR~29350/29350.jsp?color_name=Black&TCode=GGBS00006_99102200651&sisearchengine=197&siproduct=29350&noPopUp=true&gclid=CLaS--mboMACFbRzMgodCyEAcw

I have many pieces of EF clothing and I have to say, not all of it lasts and is well made. You have to be careful. And, it's often way, way overpriced. Agree, always purchase on sale!

I did find a nice one at J. Crew the other day, a merino wool. But I'm always looking for the next better thing.:o

I need one for late September, but I'm keeping my eye on that one.

I did Google it and was quickly overwhelmed - it was hoping you all would help me narrow it down, and you have!:D

I did forget the fabric. I like the merino wool - it's soft and not too heavy, plus has a nice drape to it. Cashmere might be an option, too. The cotton ones I've seen are a little too casual. And long sleeves, not 3/4...

And if I could wear an XS, I'd go for the EF that Hoyaheel posted a link to. but alas, I need a large.

Thank you, ladies.:)

I have one Merino wool sweater.....you are right, it is VERY, VERY

Soft:D......but it is not what I consider a cardigan...It zips down

the front and it is more casual and it is a deep plum color....and

has a larger collar...it is a heavier style of sweater.

Hope you find what you are looking for:)

Wow, the reviews for that sweater are raves. Everyone who has

ordered it seems to think it is wonderful!

Thanks for the link.

Wow, the reviews for that sweater are raves. Everyone who has

ordered it seems to think it is wonderful!

Thanks for the link.

WOW is right;)....all of them are 5 stars!.......one says it runs a bit

small......I wear a large/xl....I am guessing in that style I would be

better off getting the xl.

I've never been disappointed with the quality of Ann Taylor. Shouldn't be a problem with a sweater, but most of the dresses and blouses they sell are cut for small chested women. I buy skirts, pants, and knits from them, but stay away from blouses and dresses. I'm busty but not huge--VS readily has my size in stock in the stores.

Ann Taylor has an amazing sweater, just bought it in black & silver. It does run very small. Kohls had some nice cotton blends (Dana Bachman) & Dillard's had a lovely tissue thin drapy black that called my name with 40% off it was $14

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by awhfy

Hi:) I went to Kohl's today and saw 2 or 3 black cardigans and thought

about this thread......I had to remind myself to post on here:D

One was more of a fine gage knit and the other was more of open

weave.....both were quite pretty though:)

I probably should have posted a couple links too.........

These are 2 I saw at Kohl's:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1701899/croft-barrow-essential-solid-cardigan-womens.jsp

And I said the 2nd one was an open weave....my error, fly away style

but not really an open weave

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1692382/croft-barrow-chevron-open-front-cardigan-womens.jsp

My guess is that if the Ann Taylor cardi runs small is that it was designed to be fitted, so if you are rounder it might not be the fit you like. To me it seems like their clothes tend to be cut more full, similar to Coldwater Creek. I can wear a size smaller in AT than in most other stores.

Ann Taylor does not fit my chest properly. But sometimes Loft is ok. (I'm a 10/12 but 36DDD....) The AT cardigan most definitely do not work on me unless I buy 2 sizes too large, and then the shoulders hang down my arm, so....Not for me;)