Sometimes you just cannot escape from there being a hurrincane

ontheweb

Just back from our British Isles cruise. We went a day early.

The weather in London that day was pretty bad. Looked at a newspaper in our hotel, and discovered that we were experiencing the remnants of Hurricane Bertha.

I know you are taking your chances in the Caribbean during hurricane season, but who expects a hurricane in the British Isles? I wonder if the August 3rd voyage on the Ocean Princess had some pretty rough seas on its voyage.

who expects a hurricane in the British Isles?

Pretty much everyone, actually. ;) The almost universal path of a hurricane is from the Caribbean round to the east coast USA and then back across the North Atlantic to Britain. The only question is how strong it will be when it gets here. It's never a true hurricane, but the winds have been known to be hurricane strength.

Pretty much everyone, actually. ;) The almost universal path of a hurricane is from the Caribbean round to the east coast USA and then back across the North Atlantic to Britain. The only question is how strong it will be when it gets here. It's never a true hurricane, but the winds have been known to be hurricane strength.

Yep. The storms have to go somewhere.

It happened to me last October. I was on a B2B, first doing a Canary Islands itinerary r/t Southampton that was followed by a transatlantic to FLL. Great weather for the Canaries, but when we returned to Southampton, the Captain informed us that the approaching tail end of a hurricane would prevent us from leaving Southampton for a couple of days. We sat in port for 2 1/2 days, and were not able to make the ports of Lisbon or the Azores. All we got was a day in Vigo and, after 7 sea days in a row, a day in Bermuda. But we did make it to FLL on time. Despite all that, we had a wonderful cruise.

It happened to me last October. I was on a B2B, first doing a Canary Islands itinerary r/t Southampton that was followed by a transatlantic to FLL. Great weather for the Canaries, but when we returned to Southampton, the Captain informed us that the approaching tail end of a hurricane would prevent us from leaving Southampton for a couple of days. We sat in port for 2 1/2 days, and were not able to make the ports of Lisbon or the Azores. All we got was a day in Vigo and, after 7 sea days in a row, a day in Bermuda. But we did make it to FLL on time. Despite all that, we had a wonderful cruise.

Hmmm . . . I'm pretty sure we were in Lisbon, not Vigo :D:D But you're right, we had a great cruise!

We here in New England certainly have hurricanes.

We missed five days of one of our Canada/NE cruises when a hurricane was predicted to aim for Boston. It veered to sea but landed in Halifax and Atlantic Canada and then headed across the Atlantic. It happens.

Hmmm . . . I'm pretty sure we were in Lisbon, not Vigo :D:D But you're right, we had a great cruise!

You're correct, Deb ..... Thanks for jogging my memory!

Since we were unable to make port in Vigo, I missed out on a wine tasting excursion. DARN!!! :(

Edited by flamomo

Just back from our British Isles cruise. We went a day early.

The weather in London that day was pretty bad. Looked at a newspaper in our hotel, and discovered that we were experiencing the remnants of Hurricane Bertha.

I know you are taking your chances in the Caribbean during hurricane season, but who expects a hurricane in the British Isles? I wonder if the August 3rd voyage on the Ocean Princess had some pretty rough seas on its voyage.

We felt like a hurricane hit us on our British Isle trip, rain, rain and more rain.

The weather is pretty crazy lately. We've had some humid days this summer...years ago, we wouldn't have any tropical-type days.

One place that you're not going to see hurricanes is here on the west coast of the US, at least north of San Diego. The ocean water is way too cold.