Miami Hotel -- Narrowed to 2

bethhorn

We're looking at either the Intercontinental or the Hampton Inn Brickell.

Hampton Inn is about $50 more, but offers breakfast and looks like it's walkable to the Mary Brickell Village to spend some time before our cruise.

Intercontinental is closer to our dinner place (Cheveche) and the port.

We don't want to be the first on the ship, so we'd like to walk around Miami a bit before catching an uber...

Thoughts?

More to walk to near the Hampton Inn unless you are fond of Bayside Market (I am not).

If you can save $50 and be closer to where you want to have dinner then choose the IC (maybe a port view room :cool:) - you can always Uber to Mary Brickell village

So the price difference (with the fees) is more like $100...

And we don't land until 7p...

But in the morning, we'll need breakfast and we were hoping to see a bit of Miami or something "cool" before we get on the ship (we're not "first in line" people).

Does that change anything??

Both are good choices.

For Mary Brickell Village Hampton Inn is closer. There are restaurants and some stores and it is fun to walk around.

Hampton Inn maybe another 5 minutes from the port.

Hampton Inn includes a nice breakfast so that is a plus.

Intercontinental is a full service hotel.

Not sure what you want to see in Miami.

Normally I would say South Beach but not sure if you will have a lot of time to do that in the morning.

Since you are getting in at 7:00 PM you could stay at either one, have breakfast and walk around until you check out.

I am not familiar with the restaurant you mentioned. I found another one with a slightly different misspelling but it is not close to the Intercontinental so a bit confused.

Keith

I would save $100 and stay at the IC. Checkout in the morning, tip the staff to store your bags, and then Uber to MB, SB or wherever you want to stroll and sightsee. After lunch head back, grab your bags, and make your way to POM

Both are good choices.

For Mary Brickell Village Hampton Inn is closer. There are restaurants and some stores and it is fun to walk around.

Hampton Inn maybe another 5 minutes from the port.

Hampton Inn includes a nice breakfast so that is a plus.

Intercontinental is a full service hotel.

Not sure what you want to see in Miami.

Normally I would say South Beach but not sure if you will have a lot of time to do that in the morning.

Since you are getting in at 7:00 PM you could stay at either one, have breakfast and walk around until you check out.

I am not familiar with the restaurant you mentioned. I found another one with a slightly different misspelling but it is not close to the Intercontinental so a bit confused.

Keith

Keith, here is the restaurant they are talking about.

http://ceviche105.com/downtownmiami/menu/

So the price difference (with the fees) is more like $100...

And we don't land until 7p...

But in the morning, we'll need breakfast and we were hoping to see a bit of Miami or something "cool" before we get on the ship (we're not "first in line" people).

Does that change anything??

I will tell you that Sunday mornings in the downtown and Brickell area are very quiet. Not much is open.

The Intercontinental has a full service Starbucks in the Lobby. We usually get a breakfast sandwich or oatmeal there with our coffee.

The people mover station where you can catch the free transport to Mary Brickell is just a couple blocks away.

Last month we stayed at the Marriott Marquis (got a great deal on LMT Club) and it was nice too. Just a couple blocks from IC and across the street from a people mover station and Whole Foods. However, we boarded our cruise on Sunday and while I was searching for the hotel coffee shop, theirs was not open as of 8:30 a.m. on Sunday.

More to walk to near the Hampton Inn unless you are fond of Bayside Market (I am not).

If you can save $50 and be closer to where you want to have dinner then choose the IC (maybe a port view room :cool:) - you can always Uber to Mary Brickell village

No need to Uber to Brickell Village. There's a Metromover station right across from the IC. It's free. Just gotta get on the Brickell loop Metromover to the Brickell station.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure what day your ship leaves and what day you are arriving, but either way its an easy choice, especially when the nicer full service hotel is cheaper.

Go with the intercontinental. Easy quick walk to dinner, after dinner you can walk to Bayside and have a drink there and enjoy music, or head over to Mary Brickell/Citycenter and check out a bar there. You can take the free metromover to Brickell or a $5-$8 Uber.

For the morning before you board, checkout, store your bags with the bellman and walk or take the metromover to the 5th street station and have breakfast at Bachour Bakery & Bistro. Get there early to avoid any waits.

Or if you want to check out Miami Beach/South Beach after dinner you can take an Uber to Lincoln Road. Or on the day before boarding take an Uber there as well. Plenty of options there too.

But if you are thinking the Hampton because its closer to Brickell, there is no need to pick it for that reason, Brickell is a 10min walk, 5min Uber or 10min free metromover ride away.

But if you are thinking the Hampton because its closer to Brickell, there is no need to pick it for that reason, Brickell is a 10min walk, 5min Uber or 10min free metromover ride away.

Is it safe to walk around the area of IC and all the way to the Brickell area? I've seen some warnings on here about how dangerous Miami can be.

Obviously, we'll take usual precautions, but we certainly don't want to go asking for trouble...

Is it safe to walk around the area of IC and all the way to the Brickell area? I've seen some warnings on here about how dangerous Miami can be.

Obviously, we'll take usual precautions, but we certainly don't want to go asking for trouble...

I live in downtown Miami and it is a safe place to be. IC-Brickell goes walking on very busy streets. You'll be walking down the sidewalks of very busy roads with plenty of car traffic 24/7. The only issues in the downtown Miami area is the homeless population. Violent and property crime is not a big issue at all.

We have stayed at both the IC was nice & they will let you have late check out not sure if you need to be a member of the Hotel loyalty program or not

We asked for a later check out because we are not first on the ship people either

We did the Hampton as well & took the people mover to Bayside to meet a friend for dinner ..did not feel unsafe at all

Both places have their pros & con's

It's perfectly safe to walk from the IC to Brickell. It's not that far of a distance and we do it all the time. My friend goes home late at night and lives over in that area while she worked in Brickell and we usually go out in Brickell.

Going back to the IC if you are out at night here in Brickell is easy. Take the 10th street Metromover stop right behind the 1060 Brickell area and take it 6 stops to the Bayfront station. Your hotel is right there.

From 10th you to 8th St, 5th St, Riverwalk, Knight Center Station and then Bayfront.

If you wanted to Uber back it would be $5.

My wife and I vote for the Intercontinental Hotel. We have stayed in it several times over the years and have never been disappointed. It is a 10 minute walk over to Bayside Marketplace's restaurants, bars, shops etc. We have done the walk both day and night. The hotel itself has several dining choices and the lobby bar area is a great people watching area. The pool area is also very nice at this hotel. The hotel also gives you a nice view of the cruise ship port and the marina at Bayside Marketplace if you get a room with that view. They cost extra. The other view is downtown Miami lit up at night which is also nice.

We have also stayed in the Mary Brickell area on one of our cruises. We ate in a very nice Italian restaurant named Perricones, I believe. We also ate breakfast in a nice french bakery across from our hotel. We walked to both of them. I believe we were staying at some type of Marriott property if memory serves.

Transport from either hotel is easy on cruise day. My memory is about 20 minutes for the Brickell area and 10 minutes for the Intercontinental by cab on embarkation day.

If you want to sightsee in South Beach area, the Intercontinental Hotel is closer to that area than the hotel in Brickell area. I am sure that you don't have any bad choices at either location! Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

• 2 weeks later...

We have stayed at the IC many times and just booked for pre cruise in May. Our booking also included the breakfast buffet for 2 people for an additional $9.50! Great value since the breakfast buffet there costs about $30 pp and we are getting it for under $5 pp.

NOTE AND APOLOGY: my original title is misleading. $9.50 is NOT free! Cheap, but not free.

Edited by mjhbrown
Mistake in title