Early disembarkation - venice

kkmiausa

Hi all. Happy to have booked my second Oceania cruise from Rome to Venice in May. Have a question please. I want to do my own air and can get a business upgrade with my miles that equals premium economy air through Oceania. However, the flight leaves at 7:40 a.m. on the day of disembarkation. We are already in port the entire day before and the ship is our hotel over night. Will I be able to make it to the airport in time? Does the ship clear customs the day it arrives or the morning we get off? Any help would be appreciated. :)

This is for the Riviera that departs on May 7 and ends May 16

We did this from a Mariner cruise in 2010 - when the ash cloud hit Europe and flights etc were cancelled. That didn't affect us because we were renting a car and driving home but the woman at Hertz told us to get there very early in the morning since there was a huge demand for rental cars.

So - our luggage was taken to the cruise terminal sometime during the night. We left the ship almost a dawn and picked up the luggage. we had called a taxi to take us to the Piazzale Roma where Hertz is and that worked fine to. Then we had to wait for Hertz to open up! We were docked at San Anselmo and I think you will be docked at the Marrittima but that shouldn't make any difference to getting your bags.

If you would rather take the bags off the ship yourself and leave about 0530 or earlier then why not? As mentioned, if you have a Butler tell him your plans. If not - talk to Reception...

Any suggestions if we decide to stay in Venice for a day or two? If there is a better forum for this, let me know. I can't seem to find info about what Oceania travelers might recommend-hotels, transport to hotels, who can accommodate early arrivals???

Mary

Any suggestions if we decide to stay in Venice for a day or two? If there is a better forum for this, let me know. I can't seem to find info about what Oceania travelers might recommend-hotels, transport to hotels, who can accommodate early arrivals???

Mary

Depends on your budget some hotels you will need a water taxi to get there from the port or walk dragging bags possibly getting lost

Vaporetto is another option good if docked at San Basilio

You could try Trip advisor for hotels

Molina Stuckey is popular but across the canal so you need the water transport to get there/back from Venice proper

Check the Venice port of call here as well

Enjoy

Depends on your budget some hotels you will need a water taxi to get there from the port or walk dragging bags possibly getting lost

Vaporetto is another option good if docked at San Basilio

You could try Trip advisor for hotels

Molina Stuckey is popular but across the canal so you need the water transport to get there/back from Venice proper

Check the Venice port of call here as well

Enjoy

The Vaporetto (water buses) may limit the size of luggage and you do have to walk some distance from the cruise dock to catch these buses.

Look at this private water bus system: http://www.alilaguna.it/en

They have a dock right in the center of the cruise ship docking area (right off the bow of the Riviera last month) and would get you closer to most hotels using their blue and orange routes. Otherwise you can pick up a private water taxi also right in the center of the cruise docking area as well- set fee for up to either 6 or 8 people, so worth the price of 60-100 Euros for a group.