Second time in Civitavecchia/Rome: what to do?

ppstateofmind

Hi everyone,

I've been before in Rome/Vatican and I will be stopping in Civitavecchia again.

I'm done with all tourist places, as I've pretty much visited the most important ones before.

My question is: for those who might be in the same situation, what would you reccomend me to do? Visit Civitavecchia only? Go to other city?

The ship is docked from 6AM to 7PM.

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks :)

Edited by ppstateofmind

There is no way you have visited all the important sites in Rome in one previous visit unless it was for weeks.

However, you could go to Rome and just stroll around and take in the atmosphere. Check out the Travestere area.

Or rent a car and go to some of the nearby hill towns.

Check out this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2240984

Edited by maryann ns

Everything?? Really??

We are planning our fourth or fifth trip to Rome, having stayed there for a week at one point in the past plus multiple other trips. I was just reviewing the places I want to get to that we've missed on all previous trips.

We've never been to the church of San Clemente; I want to go to the 'keyhole place' and need a reminder of the name so I can figure out how to get there; definitely want to get out to Hadrian's Villa and Tivoli; never been inside Ara Pacis, closed last time we were there; want to see refurbed Trevi Fountain if it's open; want to check out the new underground excavations at the Vatican, etc etc. Oh and the 'aperitif tour' of the Vatican Museums!!

So much to do and see, cannot even imagine spending the day in Civitavecchia!!

I agree with the previous posters...seen it all in one trip..you are lucky then. I have been to Rome many times and I have yet to see it all...there is so much to explore,people to meet,shops to visit,strolling back streets etc. etc. etc. I guess you could take the train to Florence as it is easy to do for the day unless you have been there as well. I am sure someone will come up with some other ideas for you that they have done. Sounds like you will be missing a great day just to explore the different areas in Rome(non tourist) though.

But if the OP doesn't want to go to Rome...he/she can book an excursion to Orvieto either by private driver or through a ship's tour. Beautiful hill town and worth a day's visit.

No need to book a driver or a ship tour to go to Orvieto. It is easily drivable with a rental car. You wouldn't be going into Rome, so no horrendous traffic. I've done this drive solo, and then on to the Chianti drive and then into Florence. That little bit in Florence (trying to find the freakin' rental drop off at the airport!!!!!) was the worst part.

OP: We didn't have any way to know what you meant by you have seen Rome. Sounds like you meant the few high-profile "check list" things. If that is all you wanted to see, you are totally OK. Many of us here just have a "thing" for Rome and will go back again and again to see more things that aren't on the "check lists" of the usual tourist. Some of us even go back to just wander and soak in that amazing Roman atmosphere ;)

Let us know what kind of additional things you would possibly be interested in and I'm sure we can supply you with a plethora of ideas!

Thank you all for your comments.

I never said I visited everything in Rome, just the most important places. :D

Perhaps if you mean that you visited the most important places to you, it would be a little easier to understand.

Rome is full of so many wonders that even a second- or third- most important site there would likely make the top 5 in any other city in the world....

If you want to see something outside Rome, no issues with that. But I think you'll find many skeptical if you insist you saw every "important" site in Rome in a day!

Where to start? So, we (and some others here) could probably fill pages with recommendations just in Rome! And then there are the various places near Rome such as Tivoli, Orvieto, etc. But when somebody says they have been to Rome once and have seen it all I start to cringe. My favorite day in Rome (and we have been there and stayed there many times) was a beautiful day when DW and I sat down at one of well located cafes in the Piazza Navona. It was about 11am and we stopped for a cappucino. We did not leave those seats until nearly 5pm as we just had so much fun in that beautiful place (our favorite spot in Rome) eating, drinking, and People Watching. The latter was probably the best entertainment we had on that 2 month trip?

As to the OP, we would ask, "have you been to the Borghese?" "have you been to the Appian Way?" Have you done the Scavi Tour (below St Peter's)? etc etc.

Hank

Hank, as previously mentioned, i never said i have seen it all! I just mentioned ive visited the most important (touristic) places.

Im gonna probably just walk around the city, avoiding most of the stuff ive seen.

Why not share with us what you have already seen and then we can make recommendations on other things in Rome you may have missed, such as the Borghese gallery and gardens, Capitoline Museum, San Clemente church, Castel Sant'Angelo (Hadrian's tomb), etc. or even things like a foodie tour through the city or an "Underground Rome" tour....

Where to start? So, we (and some others here) could probably fill pages with recommendations just in Rome! And then there are the various places near Rome such as Tivoli, Orvieto, etc. But when somebody says they have been to Rome once and have seen it all I start to cringe. My favorite day in Rome (and we have been there and stayed there many times) was a beautiful day when DW and I sat down at one of well located cafes in the Piazza Navona. It was about 11am and we stopped for a cappucino. We did not leave those seats until nearly 5pm as we just had so much fun in that beautiful place (our favorite spot in Rome) eating, drinking, and People Watching. The latter was probably the best entertainment we had on that 2 month trip?

As to the OP, we would ask, "have you been to the Borghese?" "have you been to the Appian Way?" Have you done the Scavi Tour (below St Peter's)? etc etc.

Hank

We feel the same way about the small square around the pantheon...that is our favorite people watching and dining place:D

My favorite day in Rome (and we have been there and stayed there many times) was a beautiful day when DW and I sat down at one of well located cafes in the Piazza Navona. It was about 11am and we stopped for a cappucino. We did not leave those seats until nearly 5pm as we just had so much fun in that beautiful place (our favorite spot in Rome) eating, drinking, and People Watching. The latter was probably the best entertainment we had on that 2 month trip?

Hank

My wife and I also had a great time people-watching in Piazza Navona. We didn't spend quite so much time, but we were right near the Bernini Fountain and just enjoyed relaxing, eating, drinking and watching.

The Scavi Tour is FANTASTIC. Takes a bit of work to get on, and MUST be booked well in advance (or "requested" in advance), but that tour was one of the highlights of my tourist life. The Borghese is also terrific, but also requires advance prep...very tough to get in if you just show up.

Hank

or you could stay in Civitavecchia and do nothing and people watch at a seaside cafe

Edited by flyingboy

My wife and I also had a great time people-watching in Piazza Navona. We didn't spend quite so much time, but we were right near the Bernini Fountain and just enjoyed relaxing, eating, drinking and watching.

The Scavi Tour is FANTASTIC. Takes a bit of work to get on, and MUST be booked well in advance (or "requested" in advance), but that tour was one of the highlights of my tourist life. The Borghese is also terrific, but also requires advance prep...very tough to get in if you just show up.

DH and I also always enjoy Piazza Navona. Brings back so many great memories. Also enjoy the Pantheon area with some very good gelato near the market. We have also joined up with a few people and did a wonderful food tour in Rome which was one of our highlights. Booked the Reflection TA for next October and are going a few days early to do a few things, but would love to hear more about the Scavi Tour. What is it? Never heard of it before.

DH and I also always enjoy Piazza Navona. Brings back so many great memories. Also enjoy the Pantheon area with some very good gelato near the market. We have also joined up with a few people and did a wonderful food tour in Rome which was one of our highlights. Booked the Reflection TA for next October and are going a few days early to do a few things, but would love to hear more about the Scavi Tour. What is it? Never heard of it before.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=854634&highlight=scavi

The first few posts give basic info about this very special tour.

See also post #31 for my review.

(There are many more posts on this tour, but this one, though not so recent, gives a lot of good info. You can search for others if you're interested.....)

Edited by cruisemom42