Chocolate Buffet night?

rbelfi

Anyone know what happen to the chocolate buffet NCL used to do with all the sculptures and displays? I remember it being on the Gem a few years back, but didn't see if mentioned on my previous Breakaway cruise. I figure it's bc of the large number of people on the ship and the popularity of the buffet would cause issues. Anyone have any idea?

Edited by rbelfi

I had it on the Dawn November 2013. It was my first an although the sculptures were beautiful, the chocolate however wasn't my favorite. Lol! It's definitely pretty to look at and take pictures of!

It a shame bc the creations are always so creative and detailed! It must be bc of the volumne of passangers on the bigger ships. Thanks!

Edited by rbelfi

I'm on the Getaway next week. If I see it there, I'll report it back on this thread.

It'll be interesting to see if Getaway has it, which would throw my big ship theory out the window! haha

I'm on the Getaway next week. If I see it there, I'll report it back on this thread.

It'll be interesting to see if Getaway has it, which would throw my big ship theory out the window! haha

There was no Chocoholic Buffet on my March GA sailing.

Anyone know what happen to the chocolate buffet NCL used to do with all the sculptures and displays? I remember it being on the Gem a few years back, but didn't see if mentioned on my previous Breakaway cruise. I figure it's bc of the large number of people on the ship and the popularity of the buffet would cause issues. Anyone have any idea?

Last year it was in the afternoon on the Dawn....I remember the old late night Chocolate Buffets of the past, lots of "sugared up" kids running around!!

It isn't on the Epic, Breakaway or Getaway, but I think it's on most, if not all, of the other ships.

Personally, I think it's quite nice to see it, but I don't actually bother with eating any. Even our chocolate loving son would rather have a cookie than NCL chocolate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It isn't on the Epic, Breakaway or Getaway, but I think it's on most, if not all, of the other ships.

Personally, I think it's quite nice to see it, but I don't actually bother with eating any. Even our chocolate loving son would rather have a cookie than NCL chocolate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I highly recommend the chocolate martini's

This is an ongoing debate on CC...the chocolate buffet...

Some hate it...some ate it...

I ate it...and hated it...

Nice sculpture until some ignorant person tries to eat one of them :eek:

The cookies at the late night buffet and the crumble...yes the crumble :D at the buffet for dinner is by far, in my opinion, better then anything served at the chocolate buffet...and YES I do LOVE chocolate, but not this....

An employee on the ship told me they used to use Hershey chocolate to do all the desserts for that buffet, and now they use cheap generic chocolate.

If human behavior is something that fascinates or intrigues you...go there and observe...unbelievable how people can stack 12 inches of different kind of desert on one plate...or actually RUN from one end of the buffet to the other to get the "prime" piece of pie...sad but priceless ;)

Have fun !

Now THIS is what I am talking about :D ... they are so good !

So many delicious discovery on those Martini tastings :D

hmmmm, martini tastings.....I forgot about those, I have never done one, this may be the year!!! :cool:

Drastic cutbacks to keep prices low. Different ships now do the chocolate buffet differently. In any case it's nothing like it was 5-10 years ago.

• 2 months later...

Was on the Gem last week - no more chocolate buffet night (there was one last year). Now there is one night later in the week (I think it was Thursday) that is called "Chocolate Night" and they have several different types of chocolate items offered on the menu in all of the restaurants and the buffet that night. There is not too much to choose from and nothing like the original chocolate buffet they used to do at night.

I was on Jade the last 2 Januaries. Chocolate buffet night in Garden buffet was a zoo. No order at all, people pushing to get at the food. It was like they had never been to one before. So rude. I left. From a distance it looked like nice desserts. That Garden buffet area is too small anyway for the number of people who use it, even at meal time. Not enough space. Seems to be a problem on NCL ships.

Someone posted a review of the Jewel within the last 2 weeks and said there was no chocolate buffet on their cruise. Based on the news that NCL put out recently about their new menus, I'm guessing the chocolate buffet is going to become a thing of the past.

This is an ongoing debate on CC...the chocolate buffet...

Some hate it...some ate it...

I ate it...and hated it...

Nice sculpture until some ignorant person tries to eat one of them :eek:

The cookies at the late night buffet and the crumble...yes the crumble :D at the buffet for dinner is by far, in my opinion, better then anything served at the chocolate buffet...and YES I do LOVE chocolate, but not this....

An employee on the ship told me they used to use Hershey chocolate to do all the desserts for that buffet, and now they use cheap generic chocolate.

If human behavior is something that fascinates or intrigues you...go there and observe...unbelievable how people can stack 12 inches of different kind of desert on one plate...or actually RUN from one end of the buffet to the other to get the "prime" piece of pie...sad but priceless ;)

Have fun !

Might have to go just for the show! I love people watching!

Good to know about the quality of the chocolate. Living in Europe as an expat for so long, has honestly turned me into a chocolate snob. I'll take the crumble!!