Cozumel Time Change Terror!

Shore>Mom

So we are booked at Chanknaab for a 12 pm Dolphin Royal Swim. Carnival Breeze docks 10 am ship time. My head just spins with time changes. A helpful OP let me know Cozumel has changed to EST???? Any suggestions about the best way to tackle the day would be greatly appreciated!

We were in Cozumel on February 9th and the time is the same as ship time now. We had booked a private driver and didn't know Cozumel's time had changed until our waiter told us so I had to get my daughter to facebook our driver so we would know for sure when to meet.

Look at it this way - you don't have to worry about changing your watch or worrying about getting back too early or too late.

Have fun - the dolphins at Chankanaab are awesome!

WOW! I had no idea that Cozumel had changed to Eastern Time, but I do see that now on timeanddate.com. That is going to really mess up a lot of people that are sailing to there from Galveston & New Orleans. I think that many people are going to be an hour late for their dolphin swims, not realizing their time zone has changed.

HOWEVER, SHORE>MOM, PLEASE READ THIS!!! Cozumel will NOT be observing daylight savings this year. I don't know when you cruise. Is it within the next couple of weeks? On Sunday, March 8th, Miami will "spring forward" 1 hour, but Cozumel will not, not that week or any other. They will not be observing daylight savings at all. This means that if you are sailing after the March daylight savings switch & before the November switch-back, then your ship's time will indeed be one hour later than Cozumel time. Your dolphin swim would then be at 1:00pm ship time, provided that the ship doesn't change ship time to match the ports. That very rarely happens on roundtrip sailings, but if it does, they will tell you.

So with 3 hours to kill before your dolphin swim, go ahead and go straight to Chankanaab Park when the ship docks. There is much more to do there than just the dolphin swim. You can snorkel, relax on the beach, walk the interesting grounds, watch a sea lion show. You will easily be able to kill the time with all there is to do there. Admission to the park is included in your dolphin swim.

Edited by k2excursion

So we are booked at Chanknaab for a 12 pm Dolphin Royal Swim. Carnival Breeze docks 10 am ship time. My head just spins with time changes. A helpful OP let me know Cozumel has changed to EST???? Any suggestions about the best way to tackle the day would be greatly appreciated!

When are you sailing, that makes all the difference in the world. If on or after March 8, then Cozumel will be an hour ahead of ship time. So your excursion would be at 11 ship time.

When are you sailing, that makes all the difference in the world. If on or after March 8, then Cozumel will be an hour ahead of ship time. So your excursion would be at 11 ship time.

I think it is the other way around.

If you are sailing out of Miami (or any other east coast port) after March 8 you should be an hour ahead of Coz time -- the USA springs ahead on daylight savings time while Coz (and nearby parts of Mexico) do not observe DST.

If you are sailing out of a central time port (NO or Galveston) after March 8 you should be even with Coz because of the DST adjustment.

Thanks for clearing that up for us gulf coast cruisers! We're sailing in April and I was driving myself crazy about the time change. Turns out there is no time difference at that time of year so no need to panic. See this is why I love CC!

We sail to Cozumel from Miami in late March on the Celebrity Reflection. We're scheduled to be in port from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. If our ship's time doesn't change to match port time, does this mean we'll be arriving at 6:00 a.m. Cozumel time and leaving at 3:00 p.m.?

We sail to Cozumel from Miami in late March on the Celebrity Reflection. We're scheduled to be in port from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. If our ship's time doesn't change to match port time, does this mean we'll be arriving at 6:00 a.m. Cozumel time and leaving at 3:00 p.m.?

Yes. Coz is NOT observing DST. Check with Celebrity to see if they observe local time. I believe that is their custom, or was a couple of years ago.

We will be on the Oasis from Miami in May. Our port time is scheduled to be 8AM - 7 PM, so that looks like 7AM - 6PM local time. We will keep our watches set on ship time. Great! We have reservations at Nachi Cocum for the day, which opens at 9AM local time. That means we have an extra hour, so no rushing off the ship. We can avoid the masses all trying to get off the ship as soon as it docks.:)

A little advice to watch your phone if you're using it as a watch. When we were in Cozumel 2 weeks ago 3 of us had different times on our phones. Our local carriers had adjusted our phones to different time zones in Cozumel and we were sitting on the Beach unsure who's phone was correct. Maybe use a watch to be sure and set it to ship time.

Edited by AandBmom