Birth Certificate vs Passport

tanner1449

Are you US citizens?

Are you going on a closed loop Cruise? (Departs from and returns to same US port & visits canada, Mexico, Bermuda, Bahamas and Caribbean)

If so than you can use either a passport or an original copy of a birth certificate plus a government issued photo ID (most use drivers license) for the cruise. However, if you need to fly home for any reason (accident, illness, someone sick or died at home, missed boat, etc), you would need to go to an embassy or consulate and get a passport. It could take one to two weeks.

Are you US citizens?

Are you going on a closed loop Cruise? (Departs from and returns to same US port & visits canada, Mexico, Bermuda, Bahamas and Caribbean)

You sure about that? Canadians now need passports to travel to the USA, and vice versa, so I can't see how boarding a cruise in the USA with a Canadian destination would somehow exclude you from this requirement. The air-only exclusion expired a year ago, and the under 19 exclusion for children expired last night at midnight.

I know that birth certificates alone are increasingly *not* accepted for out of country travel on a rapidly growing list of countries. I personally would no longer risk trying it any longer as getting stuck in a foreign country because of a simple lack of a passport would be a big PITA.

^ And just to piggy-back on that, American passports are an incredibly reasonable investment and are good for 10 years. Canadian passports are good for 5 years. Seems pretty simple to me - all Americans (everyone, really) should consider getting a passport, IMO. There's an entire world of travel out there. :)

You sure about that? Canadians now need passports to travel to the USA, and vice versa, so I can't see how boarding a cruise in the USA with a Canadian destination would somehow exclude you from this requirement. The air-only exclusion expired a year ago, and the under 19 exclusion for children expired last night at midnight.

I know that birth certificates alone are increasingly *not* accepted for out of country travel on a rapidly growing list of countries. I personally would no longer risk trying it any longer as getting stuck in a foreign country because of a simple lack of a passport would be a big PITA.

Yes, the post is correct, and Canada does not require US citizens to have a passport to enter the country (as long as the US doesn't require a passport for reentry, and the US does not require it for a closed loop cruise). From the Canadian Border Services Agency:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/security-securite/admiss-eng.html

Non-Canadians

Requirements to Enter Canada

When you enter Canada, a CBSA officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification.

^ And just to piggy-back on that, American passports are an incredibly reasonable investment and are good for 10 years. Canadian passports are good for 5 years. Seems pretty simple to me - all Americans (everyone, really) should consider getting a passport, IMO. There's an entire world of travel out there. :)

I'll second this idea. I renewed my passport and got DH his first, told him we were going to give them a workout over the next 10 years! :eek:

Yes, the post is correct, and Canada does not require US citizens to have a passport to enter the country

Doh! Well, I stand corrected - I was sure that this exclusion ended, but I guess not. It's surprising that Canadian's require them now to travel to the USA in any fashion (road or air) but the equal was not put in place for the other way - typically our government goes tit-for-tat on these sorts of things, but I guess this was an exclusion that I was admittedly clueless about.

I suppose the only potential issue with cruising is if one needed to fly home - Americans DO need passports to return to the USA by air, so if for some reason you needed to abort your cruise and jet home you'd have a problem.

I'd still just get the passport. I held off getting mine until just weeks before our cruise on Allure recently. We hadn't traveled to the USA for quite a few years before such as a result of the new rules because it seemed like a pain in the arse, but I finally just caved and did it. :D

If you fly into Canada, you need a passport. If you drive, a passport card, an enhanced drivers license or NEXUS card is required, or a birth certificate and photo ID. BUT, it's the US that requires a passport to return to the US via air travel. So like I said, if you fly to or ome from Canada for a cruise, you'll need the passport.

I find myself writing this over and over.......I still DO NOT understand why ANYONE would leave the US withous a PASSPORT... I know they are expensive, but they last 10 years......These days ANYTHING can happen when you travel...Just don't leave home without it!!!!!:D:D

I find myself writing this over and over.......I still DO NOT understand why ANYONE would leave the US withous a PASSPORT... I know they are expensive, but they last 10 years......These days ANYTHING can happen when you travel...Just don't leave home without it!!!!!:D:D

They aren't expensive compared to some other cruising items!

Yeah, and I bet some of those same people have bar bills in the four figures. LOL :rolleyes:

If you fly into Canada, you need a passport. If you drive, a passport card, an enhanced drivers license or NEXUS card is required, or a birth certificate and photo ID. BUT, it's the US that requires a passport to return to the US via air travel. So like I said, if you fly to or ome from Canada for a cruise, you'll need the passport.
The BC/ID is not valid for adults driving into Canada; that little exception only applies to RT cruises, not land border crossings.

Archived