*Exclusive* Ben Bendyman's Behind the Scenes of "Ocean Blue by Geoffrey Zakarian"

kylenyc

Ben Bendyman Behind the Scenes of "Ocean Blue by Geoffrey Zakarian"

Norwegian Breakaway, September 23, 2014

Prior to Ben Bendyman's Bermuda-ful Breakaway Adventure in September (link), our bright bubbly bendable was a little apprehensive about sailing the Breakaway for the third time (forth if you include sister ship Getaway), fearing that he wouldn't have anything new and unique to blog about to his modest flexible fandom. So in desperation, our B(endy)-list celebrity took a deep breath and wrote to Norwegian headquarters to plead for a special tour of Ocean Blue. To his surprise and delight, Ben's request was granted.

On the day of the tour, our inquisitive imp was shocked when, by sheer luck and timing, Consultant/Executive Chef Patrick Robertson introduced himself - A 25 year friend and associate of Geoffrey Zakarian who was asked by the Iron Chef to consult, train, and supervise Ocean Blue's operations for a time before moving to the Getaway. He gave a wonderful tour that was more detailed, comprehensive, and interesting than our elated epicurean explorer could have imagined. Ben's photog/secretary was scrambling throughout the tour trying take notes and pictures as Chef Robertson shared his in depth culinary knowledge, experience, and philosophy. Ben can hope he will do this review even a modicum of justice.

Our poly-pliable protagonist hopes you'll enjoy this tour and review of Ocean Blue. It's certainly given our canary culinary crusader a much greater appreciation for skill, care, and effort involved to operating a seafood restaurant and raw bar at sea, and that you'll enjoy his photo review/blog of his culinary adventures dining at Ocean Blue Restaurant and The Raw Bar.

Ben and his typist sincerely thank Chef Robertson and Norwegian Cruise Lines for this wonderful and special experience.

Ben Bendyman

P1040212.jpg

Chef Robertson and Sous Chef Ben

Patrick Robertson

Consultant/Executive Chef, Ocean Blue, Norwegian Breakaway

Chef Robertson graduated from the Culinary Institute of America and began his career in famed restaurants such as Le Cirque and 21 Club (New York) and then in Europe at Michelin three-star restaurants Restaurant George Blanc, France and Ristorante Guateiro Marchese, Italy*. He is 25 year friend and associate of Geoffrey Zakarian and their first collaboration began when together they directed the kitchen at the famed "Forty Four Restaurant" aka "44" the Royalton Hotel, New York. He is currently consulting and supervising restaurant operations at Ocean Blue aboard the Norwegian Breakaway after which he will move to Norwegian Getaway to consult and supervise restaurant operations there.

Ocean Blue by Geoffrey Zakarian

A seafood restaurant that treats guests to "the freshest fish, finest ingredients, and hand picked wine selections by Zakarian"

Price: $39 per person

Ben's rating: Excellent

Ed: Ben's happy to report that Ocean Blue's price once is again $39 per person. When Ben first dined at this restaurant a year ago on the Breakaway's maiden voyage, he was blown away by the beef tartar, Dover sole, and Jonah Crab Risotto. However, two weeks later, the price was increased to $49. He's thrilled that the price is back to $39 for this wonderful restaurant.

P1040156.jpg

Consultant/Executive Chef Patrick Robertson, Ocean Blue

Chef Robertson introduced himself to Ben, recounting his experience working in premier restaurants including Michelin three-star restaurants in France and Italy. Friend and colleague of Zakarian for 25 years, he was asked by the Iron Chef to help consult, train, and supervise at Ocean Blue on the Breakaway and later on the Getaway. Ben was thrilled at this chance meeting and shocked to meet a culinary expert. He was expecting the tour to be conducted by one of the head chef and a breeze through of the kitchen. Instead, he was treated to an hour long tour of by a great chef who shared his in-depth culinary knowledge, experience, and personal philosophy.

P1040158.jpg

By chance, Pamela, Assistant Cook and one of Chef's protégés was walking by with a cart of fresh shellfish for The Raw Bar. Ben observed throughout the tour how all food whether cooked or raw are sealed, labeled with time/date, and meticulously handled and kept at their safe temperatures at all times.

P1040160.jpg

P1040161.jpg

Leading the way into Ocean Blue's Galley

P1040163.jpg

Edited by kylenyc

Ben Bendyman Behind the Scenes of "Ocean Blue by Geoffrey Zakarian"

Norwegian Breakaway, September 23, 2014 (Continued)

Chef Robertson led us into Ocean Blue's galley where he pointed out the different stations in the line beginning with the "pass" where order tickets come into the galley. During dinner service, side dishes are prepared and staged at the start of the "pass", and entrees are placed along side in the exact order that tickets arrive for speed and efficiency.

Ben watched and listened in amazement as Chef frequently stopped to supervise and train his staff. Our wide-eyed wanderer soon realized that a surprising number of mise en place are prepared daily immediately before the restaurant opens or immediately when ordered. He watched as the Chef stopped for a teaching moment - directing one of his cooks to slice croutons a bit smaller. Croutons for the Grilled Prawn Panzanella are made from bread baked daily in the ship's bakery. They are then sliced, toasted and marinated. During dinner service, they are warmed and tossed in Jus de Coussin immediately prior to serving in prawn panzanella.

Our excited epicurean was stunned by the amount of preparation and attention to detail that goes into even this one ingredient. But the list of amazing facts went on and on. Ben followed Chef watching and listening attentively, constantly impressed by detail or another, and enjoyed watching the chefs and cooks in action as they prepared their mise en glace.

Some Amazing Ocean Blue Factoids

• Suppliers - Ocean Blue uses the same suppliers for their fresh seafood and meat (Delmonico Steak) as Geoffrey Zakarian's Lambs Club, New York

• Dover Sole - is shipped from Dover, England and is two days fresh from the sea when it is delivered to the Breakaway.

• Maine Lobster - Is delivered live, then cooked and prepared daily.

• Dry Scallops - "Dry scallops" are stored in a dry container without water or chemical preservatives (unlike wet scallops) resulting in a more pure concentrated flavor. They cost Ocean Blue $27 per pound.

• Other Fish (Monkfish, Sea Bass, Salmon) - Are delivered fresh, whole and cleaned/prepared on board.

• Fried calamari - The calamari is marinated in buttermilk. It is only tossed and breaded to order immediately prior to cooking.

• Sauces - Are prepared to order to prevent them from reducing while sitting on the stove.

• Lemon Meringue Tart - The meringue is whipped and prepared immediately to order so that the tart remains crisp when served.

• Ice Cream - Are prepared daily. During dinner service it's churned constantly until it's ready to be served in order to maintain the desired consistency.

• Baguettes - Are baked in the ship's bakery but are sliced and toasted to order in the Ocean Blue galley.

• Ice Tea - The ice cubes are made of iced tea so that they don't dilute the ice tea as the cubes melt. It's served with simple syrup that dissolves immediately unlike granulated sugar.

P1040165.jpg

Dish washing station

P1040172.jpg

The Pass - Side dishes stages to the left, and entrees to the left of that in same order as tickets

P1040168.jpg

P1040173.jpg

P1040181.jpg

P1040174.jpg

Even croutons prepared daily! (for the Grilled Prawn Panzanella)

Edited by kylenyc

So, assuming you leave on a Sunday and have a few sea days, you are best off eating here early in the week? Fresh fish isn't so fresh by day 6, is it? I am only half kidding

This is something I often wonder about, and maybe Ben Bendyman or his faithful manservant Kyle knows the answer.....how DO ships serve sushi when it, say, day 6 of the cruise? Never mind cooked fish, but raw that's supposed to be immediately fresh?

Great review. Wasn't planning on eating there but those scallops sound outrageous.....

This is something I often wonder about, and maybe Ben Bendyman or his faithful manservant Kyle knows the answer.....how DO ships serve sushi when it, say, day 6 of the cruise? Never mind cooked fish, but raw that's supposed to be immediately fresh?

Great review. Wasn't planning on eating there but those scallops sound outrageous.....

The Wasabi Sushi Restaurant is not part of Ocean Blue even though the galley is behind it. Chef Robertson mentioned it a few times that the galley is operated by Ocean Blue. One exception is that he stated that Wasabi does sometimes use Ocean Blue's fryer to cook shrimp for their sushi rolls.

Ocean Blue, The Raw Bar, and Wasabi are three different restaurants serving different grades/varieties of seafood, and each restaurant prepares their seafood differently.

Ocean Blue - The Maine Lobster were clearly alive as I watched them prepare some for their scrumptious lobster rolls. I did see a bag of live Prince Edward mussels in the fridge. Chef did stated that fish were brought on board whole and cleaned on the ship. "Fresh fish" is simply fish that has never frozen. Since seafood is very perishable, it must be handled carefully (immediately cleaned and kept iced). It's not a stretch to say fresh caught fish, properly handled, cleaned, and iced, can keep for a week. I wouldn't say the same for fish from your local supermarket which should be consumed in one or two days.

For Raw Bar - The oysters/clams are still alive until shucked and served in their own juices. Lobster and fish, see above. I'm guessing they are using sushi grade fish for their salmon or sea bass tartar. Tartars are prepared at the bar in front of you. I had the raw oysters (three varieties), raw littleneck clams, raw sea bass tartar, and raw salmon tartar and they were delicious (pictures forthcoming)

Sushi/sashimi grade fish is not the same and does not meet the definition of "fresh" because it's been frozen (unless maybe you're sitting in Tokyo). I believe sushi/sashimi grade tuna actually must be frozen before import into the US. Many of Washabi's dishes are also cooked (fried shrimp sushi rolls, short rib/chicken yakitori, etc.).

Although not mentioned, all shrimp are probably frozen and thawed, and cooked, never served raw.

Edited by kylenyc

Thank you for doing this! I honestly felt like I could skip Ocean Blue before reading this. Now it feels like a "must" on my Getaway cruise in Dec. The freshness of product is a surprise.

Edited by weltek

Thank you for doing this! I honestly felt like I could skip Ocean Blue before reading this. Now it feels like a "must" on my Getaway cruise in Dec. The freshness of product is a surprise.

Thanks! I miss the Getaway! I quite enjoyed Legally Blonde even though I saw the movie. :p Bon voyage!

The lobster roll (only served during lunch on the waterfront), the beef tartar (appetizer), prawn panzenella (appetizer), Dover Sole, and Risotto are my personal favorites. My friends loved the gorgeous Delmonico Steak (which is a $52 entree alone in the Lambs Club!). P.S. The risotto on Ocean Blue Getaway is different than the one on Breakaway and was scrumptious. I love everything I tried at The Raw Bar.

When I saw a cook making croutons and Chef explaining the preparation of this one ingredient to a larger dish, I was stunned and knew this tour was going to be something special (lots of pictures forthcoming). What?!?! Croutons didn't come in a factory sealed bag or even made down in the regular ship's bakery? You do more than pop them into the toaster oven. Tossed in Jus de what? :p

Edited by kylenyc

Simply amazing. Now I'm really kicking myself for only doing Ocean Blue on the waterfront!

Glad you're enjoying it I kept forgetting and didn't try The Raw Bar until my forth cruise. I'm glad I finally did!

Looking forward to reading more. :)

Thanks for sharing these photos, and your experience. I am always amazed at how immaculate these cooking galley's are!! Wish they'd come and clean MY kitchen too...LOL!!!! :D:D

Thanks Cherie (Nalagh), weltek, Kirby & Bernadette (kba1988)!

Great review Ben and friend!

Thanks Xena! Can't wait to sail with you again on Escape!

Ben Bendyman Behind the Scenes of "Ocean Blue by Geoffrey Zakarian" (Continued)

Chef Robertson guided us from station to station, describing the intricacies that go into preparing other mise en glace, from the marinating and roasting of beets, preparing sauces and desserts, and veal fond as it was being prepared.

Chef also describe the process and challenges of establishing a year round staff for a restaurant at sea such as Ocean Blue where crew members rotate and work contracts of eight months on seven days a week, and then two months off between contracts. Incoming replacement crew members must have the skills to take over immediately and cross trained in multiple stations. Chef interviews each candidate three times as part of a detailed and rigorous selection process where he looks for "dedicated, high quality people who are very trainable, have a knowledge of culinary techniques and concepts, and able to be cross-trained for multiple stations". For front facing crew members, he also seeks individuals who are sociable and enjoy interacting with guests. He stressed the importance of working well and seamlessly as team and his personal philosophy of "Respecting Yourself, Respecting Others, and Respecting the Profession".

As Chef Robertson introduced members of his staff, he expressed his pride in the team's work ethic and dedication. He mentioned one crew member works the breakfast shift in the main dining room from 7 am to 4 pm and then volunteers to work at Ocean Blue in order to gain experience in hopes of attaining a permanent position. All the staff were warm and friendly exchanging smiles and jokes with Chef. However, Chef stressed that once the dinner service begins, the smiles and joking are over and it's down to business - The team becomes quiet, focused, working smoothly and efficiently like a well oiled machine.

P1040176.jpg

A working tour - Chef inspects some marinating, roasted beets. Colorful and delicious.

P1040177.jpg

P1040178.jpg

P1040193.jpg

Pausing for another teaching moment explaining that veal bones were not roasted long enough to produce a deep brown stock and would need to be redone.

P1040199.jpg

?Base for sauces? Final preparation of sauces is done immediately to order to prevent them from reducing if they sat on the stove.

P1040195.jpg

Proud of his friendly dedicated team. But it's down to business once dinner service starts.

Edited by kylenyc

P1040182.jpg

Live Maine Lobster being prepared for lobster rolls and The Raw Bar (lobster and prawns are served cooked in the seafood platter along with raw oysters and clams).

P1040209.jpg

Live Prince Edward Island mussels.

P1040208.jpg

Dover Sole, Dry Scallops, Sea Bass, Monk Fish, Salmon... delivered every week to the Breakaway.

P1040207.jpg

Everything meticulously labeled and stored.

P1040199.jpg

?Base for sauces? Final preparation of sauces is done immediately to order to prevent them from reducing if they sat on the stove.

P1040211.jpg

Edited by kylenyc

P1040184.jpg

Delmonico Steaks - Carefully selected, butchered, trimmed and beautifully marbled, delivered by the same supplier by Zakarian's The Lambs Club (The Delmonico Steak is a $52 entree alone at Lambs Club).

P1040190.jpg

These cakes are made in the ?ship's bakery? but decorated to order for special occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries.

P1040191.jpg

Other desserts are made in Ocean Blue to order. Chef points out the Kitchen Aid and Paco Jet used to prepare the lemon meringue (which keeps the tart crisp) and ice cream that is continually churned and served to order. The previously live lobster now cooked and in an ice bath in the background. Poor yummy little guys.

P1040194.jpg

Michelin Star/marine-quality combination oven (can steam, roast, grill, fry, bake, etc. 700 programmable modes)

P1040197.jpg

Grills, griddles, & fryers

P1040198.jpg

Mise en place

Edited by kylenyc

Conclusion

Ben would greatly enjoy dining at Ocean Blue and The Raw Bar over the next several days - More so after learning about the restaurant operations and it skilled dedicated staff. Ben was delighted and is grateful for the hour long in-depth tour by Chef Patrick Robertson who freely shared his culinary knowledge and insights and gave our elated epicurean a truly special vacation experience.

Thank you again Norwegian Cruise Line, Chef Patrick Robertson, the staff of Ocean Blue & The Raw Bar, and Lucille (Group Services Coordinator) for wonderful memorable cruise.

Below's are pictures of some of the exceptional dishes he enjoyed and got to watch being prepared. For more pictures, please jump over to Ben's main photo blog Ben Bendyman's Bermuda-ful Adventure.

Hope you enjoyed this photo blog and helping Ben reliving this culinary cruise adventure.

Ben Bendyman

Quote from the menu:

OCEAN BLUE & THE RAW BAR

Ocean Blue & The Raw Bar are dining concepts created out of my dedication to sourcing the freshest seafood and premium ingredients a chef can buy. When considering the hospitality style and sensibility of the restaurant, I planned to bring the best of Manhattan aboard the Breakaway. I routinely train Norwegian chefs in my New York City kitchens, purchase product from the same purveyors I use on land, and import specialty items such as tea from Paris. Every item here has been handpicked to bring something unique to your dining experience. I hope that you enjoy your meal and most importantly, your voyage with Norwegian.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Zakarian

P1040215.jpg

Lucille, Group Services Coordinator - Thank you for facilitating the tour!

P1040212.jpg

Consultant/Executive Chef Patrick Robertson, Sous Chef Ben Bendyman

P1040233.jpg

Seafood Plateau - Oysters (three varieties), Prawns, Littleneck Clams, Chilled Lobster, Black Bass Ceviche. Amazing and deeeeelish!

P1040241.jpg

Chef Robertson pays a visit

P1040242.jpg

Black Bass Ceviche/Soy Bean/Habanero Vinegrette/Lime Essence. Yum!

P1040246.jpg

Yellowtail Crudo/Cracked Coriander/Cucumber Scallion Marinade. Scrumptious!

Edited by kylenyc

P1040248.jpg

Tuna Crudo/Bonito Aioli/Easter Egg Radishes/Fresh Yuzo Juice

P1040249.jpg

Warm Chocolate Flourless Cake/Stracciatella Ice Cream - The cake is baked in Ocean Blue, and ice cream freshly churned to order.

P1040251.jpg

Petits Fours/Raspberry Pate Fruit/Chocolate Sea Salt Cookie/Dark Chocolate Whiskey Truffle - Made in Ocean Blue.

P1040241.jpg

Bandy, Cook

P1040253.jpg

Pamela, Cook

P1040259.jpg

10 PM at The Raw Bar - Stuffed and time to go! :sadface:

Edited by kylenyc

Norwegian Breakaway, September 26, 2014

A few nights later, Ben, his family, and friends dined in Ocean Blue where they shared their dishes. Everything Ben tried was amazing.

OCEAN BLUE RESTAURANT

P1040787.jpg

Crab Toasts/Dungeness Crab/Taggiasca Olive Vinegrette/Shaved Fennel - We ordered this from The Raw Bar because we didn't get to try it Wednesday night

P1040788.jpg

Beef Tartare/Mustard Dressing/Celery Salad/Chips - One of Ben's favorites!

P1040789.jpg

Crispy Calamari/Hot Peppers/Fresno Chili Aiola - Marinated in buttermilk. It's hand tossed in breading only when made to order.

P1040790.jpg

Grilled Prawn Panzanell/Heirloom Tomatoes/Tagglasca Olive Vinaigrette - Ben now knows the croutons were just made hours earlier!

P1040791.jpg

Carrot & Madras Curry Bisque/Gingerbread/Plumped Raisins/Coriander - Another one of Ben's favorites. Deeeelish.

P1040800.jpg

Lightly Roasted Sea Scallops/Guanciale/Grapefruit/Carmelized Pork Belly/White Achovy (with a few scallops already gobbled up)

Norwegian Breakaway, September 26, 2014

A few nights later, Ben, his family, and friends dined in Ocean Blue where they shared their dishes. Everything Ben tried was amazing.

OCEAN BLUE RESTAURANT

P1040807.jpg

Grilled Delmonico/Roasted Shallots/Watercress - Grilled to perfection medium rare. Amazing. (A $52 entree alone at Zakarian's Lambs Club)

P1040808.jpg

Lemon Meringue Tart/Crushed Blueberries/Creme de Cassis Sorbet/Candied Lemon - Freshed whipped meringue and churned sorbet made to order. Light meringue but intense sorbet for Ben's tastes.

P1040810.jpg

Homemade Sorbets - Can't remember which flavor this is.

Hope you enjoyed this photo blog and helping Ben reliving this culinary cruise adventure.

To continue with Ben's adventures on this cruise, please jump over to his photo blog in progress Bendyman's Bermuda-ful Breakaway Adventure

Ben Bendyman

The End

Edited by kylenyc

Thanks for sharing these photos, and your experience. I am always amazed at how immaculate these cooking galley's are!! Wish they'd come and clean MY kitchen too...LOL!!!! :D:D

Yeah, it's amazing how shiny and spotless the galley is. Having been on even the older Gem's galley tour, their big main galley was even shiney and spotless.

Bon voyage on your cruise. Hope we sail again some day!

Edited by kylenyc

Per USPH regulations, fish that is to be served raw must be frozen as stated:

7.3.2.1.3 Fish for Undercooked Consumption

FISH—other than MOLLUSCAN SHELLFISH—that are intended for consumption in their raw form may be served if they are obtained from a supplier that freezes the FISH to destroy parasites, or if they are frozen on the vessel and records are retained.

Dry or "dry pack" scallops are infinitely better than wet pack ones. You cannot get a decent sear on a wet pack scallop. An admitted scallop fanatic.

Kyle....was this a special tour or a Behind the Scenes tour? This will be my first cruise (other than the Sky) as Platinum and didn't know if that was even offered on the HUGE ships. Getaway, here I come!!!!:D

Kyle, thanks so much for this lovely behind-the-scenes tour! I've had dinner at Ocean Blue 3 times on my 2 (thusfar ;)) Breakaway cruises. I also loved Wasabi, & dined there twice. I expect to enjoy both again, more than once :), during my January 4th 12-dayer!

During all of my visits, Chef Patrick was kind enough to come out & chat...he was genuinely interested in my opinion. What a gracious and charming guy!

Anyhow...I wanted to say thanks for the super photos & little-known facts ;).