Copenhagen card: Good deal?

toothmaker

Already posted on European board but want to get good exposure:The wife and I will be doing a Pre-cruise stay through Princess at the Scandic Copenhagen hotel. Does this stay at the hotel include Copenhagen card for each person? On -line cost is about $57.00/person and admits you to ~73 different attractions for free for 24 hrs.?! Anyone done this through Princess ??

Have never done it through Princess but we did use and loved our Copenhagen card when we were there Pre NCL cruise.

Thought it was a good value since we use it to get from airport to hotel and then from hotel to cruise terminal along with all of the other admissions.

I could not find anything on the Princess website which said the precruise package included a Copenhagen card with it. However, we did find the card to be a good value for us. It entirely depends on how many days you are staying and which/how many sites you will visit. The transportation aspect is what made it most advantageous for us; you will have to look at the entry fee and costs for what you plan to see and do and compare total costs. If you are getting the card included with your booking, remember that airport to hotel and hotel to cruise port is already part of the package.

It CAN be a good deal, but only if you're going to run around and see all of those places. Often times, there's either one or two places that I want to see that aren't included or I'd have to shorten visits at one in favor of the other.

We're looking into the Dublin Card this summer, but I'm running into the issues mentioned above.

If you are getting the card included with your booking, remember that airport to hotel and hotel to cruise port is already part of the package.

Please clarify - is airport to hotel and hotel to cruise part of a Princess offering ?

We purchased a 3 day card at the airport on arrival. We immediately started using it by taking the train from the airport (non-stop) to the central station. We walked 15 min to the Scandic palace hotel.

The only other transportation we used the card with was the trains to/from Helsingor & Hellerod to see the two castles.

We were able to go to Tivoli Gardens 3 times (once per day) both during the day and evening. We used the card for the canal cruise (a must do!), Frederiksborg castle (Hellerod)+ the ferry across the lake, Glyptotek museum, national musuem, Krongberg castle (hellsingor), round tower. That's about all we could fit in however we got our money worth and it was convenient by not having to use our cc or cash at every visit.

From the research we did before we left the States we found that it was cheaper to purchase a 3 day Metro Pass than the Copenhagen Card. Our style of touring is more walking around different areas than rushing from one 'must see' to the next. We did go to Tivoli Gardens and the Canal Tour which were great and well worth it. We did go the the major historic districts of Copenhagen but elected to do self guided walking tours. Most hotels and district tourist offices have such maps for free. It was really enjoyable. An added plus is that just about everyone in Denmark speaks English.

Copenhagen is a very walkable city and the Metro system is one of the best we've seen. It was cheaper to buy our Metro Pass at our hotel than just about anywhere else.

We found the card great, although did not get it through Princess. In our case we stayed at the Blu hotel just north of Tivoli. A local seller (kind of like a visitor center) of the card was just east of us less than a block away. Got us lots of transportation (three days train and bus), Tivoli entrance, canal boat rides and a bunch of museum entrances. You do have to remember to validate the first time you use a train - machines are on the platform. Possible to buy these online, but local was easy. Cards are also available for Stockholm, Helsinki and Oslo. We got 3 day cards and had two nights in hotel, so used the train on the third day instead of a very late Princess transfer.

We used the cards for transportation from the airport and around the city as well as a canal boat tour. The card gets you into Amalienborg, Christianborg, Rosenborg, etc. if you like palaces and castles; many museums/galleries including the National Museum (my favourite); smaller interesting sights like the Round Tower; as well as Tivoli Gardens (lovely in the evenings). I don't thing there was anything we wanted to see in Copenhagen that wasn't on the card, so we found it an excellent value. It's nice to be able to hop on a bus for one or two stops or duck into a museum for an hour or so without worrying if you're getting your money's worth.

(But we just bought ours online through their website, not through Princess.)

Already posted on European board but want to get good exposure:The wife and I will be doing a Pre-cruise stay through Princess at the Scandic Copenhagen hotel. Does this stay at the hotel include Copenhagen card for each person? On -line cost is about $57.00/person and admits you to ~73 different attractions for free for 24 hrs.?! Anyone done this through Princess ??

I doubt it.

Thank you - I did not realize Princess had hotel packages.

Yes, and packages include transfers from airport and to ship. Two catches: 1. Cost is per person is often higher than the rack rate at the hotel ($400pp isn't uncommon). 2. Transfer to ship is often lousy. We were told to meet downstairs at 9 and after checking in with the Princess rep they told us the bus wouldn't pick us up until after 2 PM. We left the luggage with the agent and used the train to get to the ship. Got there at 10:30 and were on ship by 11:30.

The Blu was an interesting hotel. Kind of like living in an Ikea store - white on white on white and hard to find the room doors. Rooms were tiny by US standards. About one foot of space around the double bed and luggage had to be stacked edgewise in closet. Very clean and nice people, just not quite what we are used to. As I recall it was about $600/night but might have been more.

For OP, the Scandic looks like it is about 2 blocks NW of Tivoli Gardens and the main bus depot and just a block west of the train station that goes by the port (several train lines run on those tracks though). If I am looking at the right hotel the rack rate is about $148 a night. There is another Scandic maybe 8 blocks north that would be much less convenient.

By the way, there is a series of popout maps that is available for many cities on the Baltic cruise we really like. Self-folds to around 3"x4" and includes sights, streets and transportation. This one is "Berlitz Copenhagen popoutmap" https://www.amazon.com/Copenhagen-PopOut-Map-Maps/dp/1845879554

Edited by LeeW
more