Hawaii cruise choices

jusmadmema

We are planning to cruise to Hawaii in Jan/Feb of 2015. Only one previous princess cruise on the Caribbean. Now we are torn between the Grand out of LA or the Star out of San Franciisco. Are there plus or minuses to either? Your input would be appreciated.

This is just my personal opinion having sailed on both ships in the past, my choice would be the Star. That's based strictly on the ship. The Grand has some design flaws in that there is no central staircase, there is less storage in the cabin, and Skywalkers was removed. That said, I would book whichever ship will have ELUA, a husband and wife team that entertains and educates passengers with a Hawaiian experience. I haven't experienced them but from comments here on CC, they're the best.

Even though I'd prefer the Star, we're booked on the Grand next year because it sails from LA and we can drive to the port. So, if you look at my signature, that's why. :)

I will check for Elua, I have read favorable comments on them also. Maybe it comes down to which offers the better flights from the east coast.

We are doing Hawaii in April of 2015. Thinking of leaving from Boston for Nonstop flights. From Portland, ME it is loooooong.:( You may want to check the Boston flights also.

We are doing Hawaii in April of 2015. Thinking of leaving from Boston for Nonstop flights. From Portland, ME it is loooooong.:( You may want to check the Boston flights also.

Nice to see another Mainer here!

We did the Sapphire last year out of San Pedro and would have booked it again in a heartbeat if the Sapphire hadn't moved to the Asian market. We flew out of Portland and it wasn't bad, with a Chicago layover. We're thinking about doing the Vancouver to Hawaii sailing on the Grand in March 2015.

While I've always heard the best things about Elua, apparently there was another couple that Princess contracted this year on the Grand for the Hawaiian cultural program that was very good as well.

Another factor, important to some, is the climate cruising from SF versus from LA. It's cool the first and last few days regardless of which port. But we've found it's cooler weather and lasts longer when cruising from SF. Just our opinion, but important to us:)

It will be a great cruise regardless of your choice. We have sailed out of LA and SF on the Star (and Golden) to Hawaii, twice each. Also sailed on the Grand.

Agree with Pam...we prefer the Star. It feels like home for us because of the wonderful crew. On our cruise last month to Hawaii, on the Star, we were fortunate to have Elua onboard and David Cole, one of the best cruise directors we have ever seen. Regrettably, Elua was "shipped", pun intended (actually they flew) to Japan and David Cole is on extended leave. In addition to their beautiful Hawaiian music, we love their ukulele, lei-making, and hula lessons. "Mahalo".

L.A. or S.F.?....we live half-way between the two ports and enjoy both ports. Perhaps I should disclose that I am biased towards San Francisco. It is, simply, one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

The cruise port in SF is located at the Embarcadero near Fisherman's Wharf and close to a number of attractions...Alcatraz, the Cable Car, Golden Gate Bridge, AT&T Park, North Beach area, even Chinatown. (Hopefully, the new cruise port will be finished by the time you sail.

Note: We drive to both ports so the only negative thing about cruising out of SF for us is the higher cost of parking. Parking in San Pedro (LA port) is $12/day. Parking garages near the port of SF can cost between $15 -$17.50/day.

Our choice will always be to cruise out of San Francisco. There is nothing better (and more romantic) than sailing under the foggy Golden Gate Bridge at sunset.

Perhaps ultimately, the cost of airfare will determine your choice. If the cost of airfare is the same..........SF gets our vote.

The distances between the ports and airports are basically the same. :)

We chose the LA departure since we were able to get non stop flights from Boston. No non stops to SF and with a Feb flight I am paranoid about weather delays and missing connections so this's works out best for us. We are cruising to Hawaii and it will be great!

We chose the LA departure since we were able to get non stop flights from Boston. No non stops to SF and with a Feb flight I am paranoid about weather delays and missing connections so this's works out best for us. We are cruising to Hawaii and it will be great!

Don't blame you.:eek: We will be going in April 2015 and hoping that JetBlue has some non-stops then. May do a one way with Portland as a one way on the return. Portland is also pricier. Don't know why this is.:confused:

Hello fellow Mainer.:)

My wife and I have done both and enjoyed San Fran the most. As you leave the dock you go past Alcatraz and then under the SF Bridge. We thought it was gorgeous. We were on the Star Princess which was the best ship we have sailed on. The service was amazing and the other cruisers were great.

We are able to fly to LA and San Fran non-stop so that was not a concern. San Fran airport is frequently delayed so make sure you have plenty of time.

Either way you will have a wonderful cruise.:)

OK I'm biased because I live in San Francisco but as others have said the SF terminal is within walking distance of many attractions plus you can stay and actually walk to the terminal. You don't need a car to get around as the transportation (MUNI) is excellent. I have personally met the couple Makani E which are an excellent group with many activities plus performing in the Piazza.

Tom:)

Any word yet on which ship Elua will be located this Fall? We have the holiday cruise booked on the Star out of SF (Dec. 19). Will we have Elua or Makani E? Will David Cole be on one of these ships?

Any word yet on which ship Elua will be located this Fall? We have the holiday cruise booked on the Star out of SF (Dec. 19). Will we have Elua or Makani E? Will David Cole be on one of these ships?
We sailed with Elua last month on the Star. At the time, Dave said they haven't been offered a contract for next season yet. Since there is no dedicated Hawaii ship for the entire season, they're not sure where they'll wind up. Dave did mention that they were hoping to be on the Star out of San Francisco. But nothing is definite yet. Right now Elua is on the Diamond Princess doing some cruises out of Japan. When they get official confirmation as to their status for next season Dave said he would post the information here on CC as well as on their Facebook page. Edited by Jasperdo

This is just my personal opinion having sailed on both ships in the past, my choice would be the Star. That's based strictly on the ship. The Grand has some design flaws in that there is no central staircase, there is less storage in the cabin, and Skywalkers was removed. That said, I would book whichever ship will have ELUA, a husband and wife team that entertains and educates passengers with a Hawaiian experience. I haven't experienced them but from comments here on CC, they're the best.

. :)

How can we find out which ship or which trips Elua will be on?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

How can we find out which ship or which trips Elua will be on?

Dave from Elua said he would post that information here on CC along with their Facebook page when they find out where they'll be next season.

We are anxious to book whichever ship Elua will be on in February 2015 because there is a particular cabin we like. I called Princess and was told that the Grand is the only ship that will have the Hawaiian enrichment program but they dont know who will be doing it. We were on the Grand in March with Makani E -- enjoyed very much but would like to do a cruise with Elua. How much credence can be given to what I was told. We were hoping Elua would be on the Star out of SF. Are there any other groups anyone could recommend who in particular give ukulele lessons. Thanks for any response.

Just posted by Secretcastle, who's on Grand right now saying that the Hawaiian Couple, Brian & Rowena Vasquez are doing the Hawaiian Program teaching Ukulele. Princess does have a back up for Elua and Makani E.

• 3 weeks later...

We are also looking at the 15 day to Hawaii for next year. Our choices seem to be the Grand out of SF or the Ruby or Star out of LA.

Our personal preferences would be SF, since we both want to see it, but I'm scared of the Grand due to so many negative reviews. We love the sea days but don't feel like we'd enjoy it as much on a ship that has lots of flaws due to aging.

We've done the Ruby 3 times and feel like it's home. We're not afraid of being on the Ruby for 8 sea days!! We'd also love to try a new ship, so perhaps the Star. Is it a lot smaller?

Thoughts?

We are also looking at the 15 day to Hawaii for next year. Our choices seem to be the Grand out of SF or the Ruby or Star out of LA.

Our personal preferences would be SF, since we both want to see it, but I'm scared of the Grand due to so many negative reviews. We love the sea days but don't feel like we'd enjoy it as much on a ship that has lots of flaws due to aging.

We've done the Ruby 3 times and feel like it's home. We're not afraid of being on the Ruby for 8 sea days!! We'd also love to try a new ship, so perhaps the Star. Is it a lot smaller?

Thoughts?

We really enjoyed the Grand when we sailed on her and are considering her agin for Hawaii in 2015. In terms of size, like the other early Grand class ships, she has one fewer deck. The Ruby and other later grand class ships have an additional deck.

Thoughts?

As 'Rotti says above, the Star has one less deck of passenger cabins and carries about 500 fewer passengers, so that doesn't really make her a "lot" smaller. Other differences: Her aft pool is shaded by the elevated Skywalker's (great for the views from Skywalker's; less-than-optimal for those sunworshippers at the pool below!). Plus, perhaps more significantly, unlike the Ruby, the Star has one covered pool on Lido deck. On the sea days when the weather is coolish, that can be a big plus.

I can't believe it is the middle of May and we still don't know which ship Elua will be on in the upcoming season. We have traveled with them many times, and currently have the Grand booked in December. But to be honest, if they are not on it, we will probably cancel the cruise and just do a land trip instead. No offense to the other couple, I have never experienced them firsthand, but Dave and Leialoha add a lot to our enjoyment of this itinerary.

Edited by Waimea'sMom