Mazatlan...still security probs???

WINEMANVISALIA

read recent review who was aboard holland america veendam the first ship to stop at mazatlan in several years and stated they cancelled excursion because of security issues...anyone know more than is stated here???

"...Our main reason for taking this cruise was that it visited Mazatlan, Mexico. At Mazatlan, we wanted to take the excursion to the turtle sanctuary. We signed up for that tour prior to the cruise and were really looking forward to it. Then, HAL cancelled the excursion. This was the single most disappointing event of our cruise. We were told it was cancelled due to security concerns, not lack of interest or operational issues. Please, HAL, make this excursion work. There are no other excursions in Mexico that offer what the Turtle Sanctuary tour has."

• 2 weeks later...
I sure do miss Mazatlan...hope the cruise lines return to this beautiful port of call soon.[/quote

Yesterday...the Sinaloa Secretary of Tourism offered Carnival Corp. 7 million pesos(about $540,000) to return Carnival & Princess cruise ships to Mazatlan in 2014 /2015. The money would help subsidize increasing fuel costs. That would mean about 100 stops in Mazatlan over the next 2 years. Carnival is considering the offer at a board meeting later this week.

I sure do miss Mazatlan...hope the cruise lines return to this beautiful port of call soon.[/quote

Yesterday...the Sinaloa Secretary of Tourism offered Carnival Corp. 7 million pesos(about $540,000) to return Carnival & Princess cruise ships to Mazatlan in 2014 /2015. The money would help subsidize increasing fuel costs. That would mean about 100 stops in Mazatlan over the next 2 years. Carnival is considering the offer at a board meeting later this week.

Crossing my fingers and toes.

Wow every other port charges large sums of money to allow cruise ships to dock, and these people are paying them... not a very good sign.

Wow every other port charges large sums of money to allow cruise ships to dock, and these people are paying them... not a very good sign.

The Mazatlan tourism sector has been severely damaged by the loss of cruise ships. According to the Secretary of Tourism..... each passenger spends about 80-100 dollars while visiting Mazatlan. Multiply that by 100 cruise ship visits....and you're talking 15 million plus dollars. They figure making a 540k investment is worth a potential 14-15 million dollar boost to the economy.

I wish them well...I look forward to returning to Mazatlan. Carnivals' 2 stop itinerary....Cabo & PV..has kept me from cruising to Mexico.

Edited by cruizinator

The Mazatlan tourism sector has been severely damaged by the loss of cruise ships. According to the Secretary of Tourism..... each passenger spends about 80-100 dollars while visiting Mazatlan. Multiply that by 100 cruise ship visits....and you're talking 15 million plus dollars. They figure making a 540k investment is worth a potential 14-15 million dollar boost to the economy.

I wish them well...I look forward to returning to Mazatlan. Carnivals' 2 stop itinerary....Cabo & PV..has kept me from cruising to Mexico.

Well have they made things safer ? We all know the reason why the cruise lines stopped going there in the first place.

I must say after having done many things in Mazatlan, I enjoy having a second day in the beautiful waters of Cabo. Neither Maz nor PV has near the water quality. Swimming at the beach or going for a boat ride is far superior in Cabo. And when Maz was on the itinerary it usually meant a short stop in Cabo, many times leaving at 2:00 on Princess and 3:30 on Carnival. Yes we've had fun times in Maz but overall I prefer the extra day in Cabo.

I must say after having done many things in Mazatlan, I enjoy having a second day in the beautiful waters of Cabo. Neither Maz nor PV has near the water quality. Swimming at the beach or going for a boat ride is far superior in Cabo. And when Maz was on the itinerary it usually meant a short stop in Cabo, many times leaving at 2:00 on Princess and 3:30 on Carnival. Yes we've had fun times in Maz but overall I prefer the extra day in Cabo.

But the tendering is the pits.:eek:

My family and I are on the Star 12/22. Docs still say Mazatlan on Christmas Day.[/quote

Shouldn't affect your stop in Mazatlan. Holland America has stopped there a couple times in the last month. Norwegian has several stops planned for 2015.

The big players on the Mexican Riviera have been Carnival & Princess. Get them back...and many in Mazatlan will be very excited!

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait to return to Mazatlan. People who have not been there are the ones who feel unsafe.

Had a cruise line employee tell me that port fees were a big factor in canceling. Cartel members fighting among themselves have scared uninformed tourists. Here in San Francisco gang fighting resulted in the death of a foreign tourist, but no cruise ships have canceled. Love going up the Sea of Cortez too.

I'd love to get to Mazatlan again. The Sapphire Princess next week will stop at PV, Cabo and Ensenada (boo to the latter). If they don't want to stop at Mazatlan, how about La Paz or any place other than Ensenada. I know why they stop there on the Hawaii cruises, but it isn't necessary this time since we've already been to Mexican ports.:eek:

I'd love to get to Mazatlan again. The Sapphire Princess next week will stop at PV, Cabo and Ensenada (boo to the latter). If they don't want to stop at Mazatlan, how about La Paz or any place other than Ensenada. I know why they stop there on the Hawaii cruises, but it isn't necessary this time since we've already been to Mexican ports.:eek:

I sooooooooooooooooo agree with you!

I was on a Carnival cruise(9 day) a few years ago that stopped in La Paz. Several months I later went on Carnivals' final 9 day cruise....but Ensenada was substituted for La Paz. I asked the Cruise Director about skipping La Paz and he said the EXTRA fuel needed to go there...wasn't worth it.

I really enjoyed La Paz and would love to visit it again!

I'd rather sit motionless in the ocean than visit Ensenada. Could be the worst cruise ship port ever

We were just there the 24th, walked from cruise terminal to water taxi($3pp round trip) went over to Stone Island, rented a bogie board for our 10yr boy and sat and watched him from our beachside table. Felt completely safe the entire time. This was our 4th time stopping here.

• 2 months later...

We love it! Bought a time share from Pueblo Bonito and visit annually now(Cabo too). Thru the Swine Flu and the cartels, the only thing we have noticed is far fewer gringos since the ships don't stop as much and more police being seen on patrols thru out the city. Such a nice city! Cabo never has slowed down.

In America we have become very excited over the reports of the violence in different cities in Mexico and have slowed visiting there. Yet, St Thomas, had a young girl shot and killed on a popular tourist beach, known for drug dealing and the ships didn't stop. USNavy quit St Croix I understand yet ships still stop. Jamaica, oh gosh, the Robberies that happen on cruise tours, and the ship still stops. Cabo San Lucas, a division of southern California, lol, has a shootout of drugs kingpins, then big boy El Chapo is arrested there, but the ships still stop. We all hear about these acts but really, we have the same thing happening DAILY in our own home town and life goes on.

Don't stop enjoying our world, just be cautious and alert EVERYwhere you go, and be safe.

We love it! Bought a time share from Pueblo Bonito and visit annually now(Cabo too). Thru the Swine Flu and the cartels, the only thing we have noticed is far fewer gringos since the ships don't stop as much and more police being seen on patrols thru out the city. Such a nice city! Cabo never has slowed down.

In America we have become very excited over the reports of the violence in different cities in Mexico and have slowed visiting there. Yet, St Thomas, had a young girl shot and killed on a popular tourist beach, known for drug dealing and the ships didn't stop. USNavy quit St Croix I understand yet ships still stop. Jamaica, oh gosh, the Robberies that happen on cruise tours, and the ship still stops. Cabo San Lucas, a division of southern California, lol, has a shootout of drugs kingpins, then big boy El Chapo is arrested there, but the ships still stop. We all hear about these acts but really, we have the same thing happening DAILY in our own home town and life goes on.

Don't stop enjoying our world, just be cautious and alert EVERYwhere you go, and be safe.

You are singing my song, and if you look at my signature, you will notice I am a part time resident of Cabo San Lucas, and may soon become full time if things in this country don't straighten out.

They just arrested the head of the Sinaloa cartel last week in Matzalan, so maybe that will help to ease the fears. What I wouldn't give for some coconut shrimp from Victor's right now.;)

Edited by CWcruisers

What I wouldn't give for some coconut shrimp from Victor's right now.;)

CW,

In our house...Victors on Stone Island .....is mentioned at least twice a week!

Been there many times. If we lived in Mazatlan...we would have our own table & chairs @ Victors!:D