Fort Lauderdale Flights

crazycatlady82

My last Carnival cruise was in February 2014. The ship was scheduled to dock at 7:00 a.m. in Ft. Lauderdale. I had a 10:35 a.m. flight from Ft. Lauderdale and there was no problem making it. I took a cab to the airport, and was sitting at the flight gate with at least two hours to spare.

PE to FLL is a short 10-15 minute cab ride (about $15). In general, flights after 11:00 should be okay, anything before that is ambitious.

Instead of spending an extra $500 to fly home the day your cruise ends, why not extend your vacation -- spend far less on a hotel and catch a cheaper flight home the next morning. ;)

We've never cruised out of FLL....other cruises, we've been fortunate to get off the cruise at 7:40 am...what is the earliest flight time you've made?

Back story: our airfare for our cruise is awful-$500 jump after noon. Ugh!

We have made a 10:40 AM flight to Minneapolis. With that said, we now stay an extra day (or two) and enjoy the early flights and stressless debarkation day.

If you purchase a ship transfer do they give you an earlier time off the ship than if you just tell them your flight time? (Self-disembarkation is not an option) 11:45 flight

With a flight that late, leave the ship at 8:30, pick up your bags and cab to FLL. You'll be there before 9 :30. No need to book the cruise transfers.

We've never cruised out of FLL....other cruises, we've been fortunate to get off the cruise at 7:40 am...what is the earliest flight time you've made?

Back story: our airfare for our cruise is awful-$500 jump after noon. Ugh!

We know we can be off the ship and easily at the airport by 9:00. We would feel OK with flights from 10:30 and later.

If earlier, I'd choose to spend the extra flight cost money on a hotel room for an extra night if possible.

If you purchase a ship transfer do they give you an earlier time off the ship than if you just tell them your flight time? (Self-disembarkation is not an option) 11:45 flight

If you are arriving to Port Everglades and flying out of Fort Lauderdale just take a taxi over to the airport for a 11:45 AM flight.

Keith

We have made a 10:40 AM flight to Minneapolis. With that said, we now stay an extra day (or two) and enjoy the early flights and stressless debarkation day.

We have done the same thing and now stay at least another day in Florida.

It is so nice getting up debarkation day knowing you still have a day to play.

No rushing around, worrying about missing flights.:)

Having said this I don't believe the OP will have a problem in catching this flight.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Thanks folks. Unfortunately, the next day is the same price as the afternoon...so we will just suck it up and pay it. Ugh. Will never cruise during March again!

What time are you looking at booking? Assuming you are docked in Port Everglades you will probably be ok given that everything goes as planned, booking the earlier flight.

When we cruised out of PE we did self debark and were at the airport before 8am and had a TON of time to spare. Now, obviously things can go wrong and it's always a risk you take.

Last cruise, we cruised out of Miami and booked a 12:10. Had a ton of time to spare as well after doing self debarkation.

This coming cruise, well, we are in the same situation as you. The airfare is insane in the afternoon. So we took the gamble and booked an 11:35 out of FLL and are cruising out of Port of Miami. We know it's a risk, but is 35 minutes earlier than the flight we had last cruise and we had a ton of time to spare so we figured it's a risk we will take. It's saving us several hundred dollars. Wish us luck!

Cheapest airfare is $450 for the 2 of us-but the flight out of FLL leaves at 8 am. Apparently nobody wants that flight? Lol. Then it jumps to $955 for 1 pm...and even Miami is more expensive. I know we are just going to have to suck it up but maaan, I've learned my lesson for March.

PBI is only an hour or so from PE - have you checked there?

If the savings are there you could even rent a car and fly home from Orlando (3.5 hour drive).

I did-I checked both and same price. There is a flight for cheaper that leaves FLL at 8:30, but unsure if we could make that?

Cheapest airfare is $450 for the 2 of us-but the flight out of FLL leaves at 8 am. Apparently nobody wants that flight? Lol. Then it jumps to $955 for 1 pm...and even Miami is more expensive. I know we are just going to have to suck it up but maaan, I've learned my lesson for March.

I did-I checked both and same price. There is a flight for cheaper that leaves FLL at 8:30, but unsure if we could make that?

Why don't you book the 8am flight for the next day? That $500 you save could go towards a hotel and nice dinner and you'll still have money left over.

I like to use http://www.ITASoftware.com and always can find a decent flight.

It is the matrix all the airlines use and shows every single seat available at every price on every airline.

You can't book with them though.

Why don't you book the 8am flight for the next day? That $500 you save could go towards a hotel and nice dinner and you'll still have money left over.

I like to use http://www.ITASoftware.com and always can find a decent flight.

It is the matrix all the airlines use and shows every single seat available at every price on every airline.

You can't book with them though.

Because with my delta companion ticket, it wasn't showing any availability for the next day-trust me, I've tried multiple combinations of days and airports, including Orlando, Tampa, west palm beach, Miami. The cheapest flights-on spirit-I wasn't going to book because I really don't want to get into the airport at 4 am after flying, and then driving for 4 hours home.

I love my delta companion ticket, but it also spoils me...we have flown, both of us, for $200 for one cruise.

Trust me, I do appreciate the suggestions! We've leaned out lesson-we will just keep cruising sept-nov or may.

Because with my delta companion ticket, it wasn't showing any availability for the next day-trust me, I've tried multiple combinations of days and airports, including Orlando, Tampa, west palm beach, Miami. The cheapest flights-on spirit-I wasn't going to book because I really don't want to get into the airport at 4 am after flying, and then driving for 4 hours home.

I love my delta companion ticket, but it also spoils me...we have flown, both of us, for $200 for one cruise.

No wonder, you are trying to use a companion ticket.

The airlines aren't going to budge in March to South Florida.

You'll pay one way or another. I'd save the companion ticket and just book traditionally.

I'm also guessing you are flying around Easter.