Port Question

Thinking about taking a Med cruise next fall. Just wondering if anybody has done this particular itinerary....Rome, Florence, Amalfi (Positano), Taormina(Sicily), Corfu, Kotor ( Montenegro), Dubrovnik (Croatia), Rijeka

(Croatia), Venice. If so would love to hear how you enjoyed it and what particular excursions you selected and enjoyed. We have been to Rome,

Florence and Positano but not the other areas.

Thank you

Interesting itinerary; 2300 departures from both Florence and Kotor. I imagine you can have a nice dinner in Florence and get back to ship on time. Kotor has numerous cafes just walking distance from ship. Kind of strange slipping in a sea day so early in cruise; usually any sea days in Med cruises are later in the trip as a chance to recover.

All ports are wonderful. Dubrovnik and Kotor would be highlights for me. I have never been to Rijeka; looks like a first or second time stop for Explorer.

I recommend the aft facing G2 cabins on Explorer; a little smaller but a wonderful balcony.

Have fun!!!

Marc (from Alabama)

I haven't done this on Regent, but was in Taormina last fall on another line. We did a private wine tour up on the side of Mount Etna, and it was great, as was the drive. I wasn't impressed with Taormina itself. It's "charming" in a very touristy way, and we walked from one end of the main drag to the other, and had a gelato. So if there are wine tours available, I would consider them.

Thinking about taking a Med cruise next fall. Just wondering if anybody has done this particular itinerary....Rome, Florence, Amalfi (Positano), Taormina(Sicily), Corfu, Kotor ( Montenegro), Dubrovnik (Croatia), Rijeka

(Croatia), Venice. If so would love to hear how you enjoyed it and what particular excursions you selected and enjoyed. We have been to Rome,

Florence and Positano but not the other areas.

Thank you

Haven't done that specific itinerary but have done a few cruises that hit all of the ports except Rijeka. The Adriatic ports are some of my favorites. Kotor is one of the most beautiful sail-ins we've ever done. The excursions for this aren't posted yet, but some of the ones we liked were the lunch at the villa in Taormina (extra cost), and the 4x4 excursion in Corfu. Not an off-road thing but a beautiful drive up the mountains to a cool old village for lunch. Dubrovnik is awesome just to walk around in as is Kotor. I guess a lot depends on what you like to do - I'd suggest posting this again once the excursions are posted and maybe we can offer some suggestions.

Enjoy your cruise, Explorer is an awesome ship.

You can do a search on the Regent website for cruises that have the ports that you mentioned to check out the excursions that likely will be offered next year. I did a search and found 11 cruises that will be stopping in Taormina. It reminded me of the wonderful wine tours that include going up the mountain (depending upon volcano activity).

As Bill posted, it helps to know what it is that you like to do ....... hiking ........ museum .......... food and wine, etc. We are foodies and enjoy wine as well. I recall one excursion that took us to a winery at 9:30 a.m. (a bit early for wine but when on vacation, anything goes). They served not only wine but meats and cheeses and demonstrated how a horse (could have been a donkey) walked in circles to crush the olives to make olive oil. To us this was fascinating but it would not necessarily be something of interest to you.

I have been to all these ports with the exception of Rijeka. Some of our favorites.

Highly recommend the 4x4 tour in Corfu. A very fun day, made more hilarious because the clutch on our vehicle didn't work at all. My just back from Afghanistan Marine sone was driving, thank heavens, but the rest of us were dying laughing.

In Taormina, the wine tours are nice. Or you can go into town, visit the amphitheater then just wander and do lunch on your own. They also have a godfather tour that is fun.

In amalfi, the boat to positano is good, or one of the wine tours. Ravello is nice if you haven't been there. Lunch in town is always a good idea.

Favorite excursion from the port for Florence is Lucca bike tour.

I assume the cruise is on Explorer, 07 October 2018.

If so, you have chosen a great ship and the itinerary looks good. Temperatures at that time of year will have moderated and be prepared for some rain showers.

As regards the ports you have not visited:

Taormina: We like to just wander along the main street of Taormina and maybe call-in to a cafe in one of the side streets for an Aperol Spritz or gelato. The ship anchors at a small port only a few miles away; tender ashore and then a shuttle bus into Taormina.

Corfu: No specific recommendations. The Old Town is nice and there are some great beaches. Watch out for scooters!

Kotor: As Bill says the beautiful sail-in should not be missed. The Old Town is adjacent where your ship will dock or where tenders arrive (if you are anchored in Kotor Bay).

Dubrovnik: For something a bit different try booking the Tuk-Tuk tour that will hopefully be offered as a Regent included excursion:

Rijeka: This looks to be a new port for Regent. Hopefully the local tour operators will be trying to impress :)

Venice: Another port where you should get up early to watch the sail-in. Regent usually offer a good variety of interesting tours in this wonderful city.

If you decide to book, hope you have a very enjoyable cruise :D

Hello,

I am so grateful for this forum. Since this will be our first time sailing on Regent, I do have lots of questions. Also, we are looking at a cruise in the fall of 2018. There are actually two different cruises that we are thinking about ( yes quite different from each other). We have never been to Spain so this itinerary does sound like one we would enjoy although just wondering about the weather so late in the Fall??

OCT 29MONBARCELONA, SPAIN5:00 PMOCT 30TUECARTAGENA, SPAIN11:00 AM6:00 PMOCT 31WEDMÁLAGA (GRANADA), SPAIN8:00 AM6:00 PMNOV 1THUCRUISING THE ATLANTIC OCEANNOV 2FRIARRECIFE (LANZAROTE), SPAIN8:00 AM6:00 PMNOV 3SATSANTA CRUZ DE TENERIFE, SPAIN8:00 AM11:00 PMNOV 4SUNLAS PALMAS DE GRAN CANARIA, SPAIN8:00 AM4:00 PMNOV 5MONCRUISING THE ATLANTIC OCEANNOV 6TUEGIBRALTAR, UNITED KINGDOM11:00 AM8:00 PMNOV 7WEDCRUISING THE ALBORAN SEANOV 8THUBARCELONA, SPAIN7:0This is the other itinerary. Since we have already been to Rome, Florence and Positanomaybe we should consider the Spain trip. Oh my, such a tough decision!!

OCT 7SUNROME (CIVITAVECCHIA), ITALY6:00 PMOCT 8MONFLORENCE/PISA (LIVORNO), ITALY7:00 AM11:00 PMOCT 9TUECRUISING THE TYRRHENIAN SEAOCT 10WEDAMALFI/POSITANO, ITALYicon_anchor.png8:00 AM6:00 PMOCT 11THUTAORMINA (SICILY), ITALYicon_anchor.png8:00 AM6:00 PMOCT 12FRICORFU, GREECE12:00 PM8:00 PMOCT 13SATKOTOR, MONTENEGROicon_anchor.png9:00 AM11:00 PMOCT 14SUNDUBROVNIK, CROATIA7:00 AM5:00 PMOCT 15MONRIJEKA, CROATIA10:00 AM8:00 PMOCT 16TUEVENICE, ITALY8:00 AMOCT 17WEDVENICE, ITALY

I would lean toward the Spain one since the other is so similar to the one you have booked. No one can guarantee weather but late September is our favorite time for med cruises. Not as crowded or as hot and usually weather is ok.

IMO, the 07 Oct cruise has more interesting ports than the 29 Oct cruise to the Canary Islands.

Temperatures around the Canary Islands are good all year, but Gibraltar to Barcelona will be getting cooler in early November.

The 29 Oct cruise has two extra sea days.

Sea conditions to/from the Canaries can get rough at times

Don't know whether this helps or hinders your decision :confused:

I am sure you will enjoy your cruise on Explorer whichever itinerary you choose ................. and if you are spending some time before or after the cruise then all three potential places (Barcelona, Rome & Venice) are perfect for a few days stay

Decision made and thanks for all the help! We are doing the Rome to Venice trip.

Lot's of time to research and get excited!!

If you can book onboard a Regent ship, there are good benefits. Also, hope that you have a TA that gives rebates. Having a really good TA is very helpful!