Tell me everything I need to know about the Jewel

Work commitments look to be forcing us from a mid April Celebrity sailing to a end of March Jewel sailing. When we figured everything out the prices come out to be close to one another and the itineraries are similar. I know the Jewel just had a dry dock. I think the size of the ship will be fine for us. We don't like big ships. We don't need all the bells and whistles. I'd like to know if anyone has a link to bar and restaurant menus. One of our main concerns is food. We absolutely love Celebrity's food. DH also wants more info on specialty restaurants. I purchased the ultimate drinks package since it was on sale. Can anyone give me some info on the Jewel? Much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Work commitments look to be forcing us from a mid April Celebrity sailing to a end of March Jewel sailing. When we figured everything out the prices come out to be close to one another and the itineraries are similar. I know the Jewel just had a dry dock. I think the size of the ship will be fine for us. We don't like big ships. We don't need all the bells and whistles. I'd like to know if anyone has a link to bar and restaurant menus. One of our main concerns is food. We absolutely love Celebrity's food. DH also wants more info on specialty restaurants. I purchased the ultimate drinks package since it was on sale. Can anyone give me some info on the Jewel? Much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

We sailed on her before dry dock so we got to enjoy the last Sea view Café. MDR food was good and waiters were wonderful to our kids but that was 3 years ago. We ate at chops and it was great. They did not have Izumi at that time. We have eaten at Giovanni's on other ships and very much enjoyed it (beware the lemoncello). All the stops are good and the views are very nice from all over the ship. We have never sailed celebrity so we can't compare.

Here is a good start:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/royal-caribbean/jewel

We don't like big ships. We don't need all the bells and whistles. .

Considering your comments above, Jewel should be right up your alley:) We like it just fine:D You can find the speciality restaurants on the RCCL website. There won't be as many options as on something like Celebrity Reflection. We eat specialty dining on RCCL 3-4 nights on a 7 night cruise and have always been pleased with it.

Our opinion only: we are no longer impressed with menus or food in the MDR on Royal. The nights we don't eat specialty dining we would rather just go to the nice quiet buffet (Windjammer) and avoid the average food and chaos at MDR.

Edited by bouhunter

The Jewel is our favorite ship. Not too big and not to small. It doesn't have the Royal Promenade and ice skating rink that the bigger ships have but we didn't miss either. The adult entertainment show called Quest is held in the Safari Club. We really like the Schooner Bar/Safari Club area. In our opinion the Schooner Bar is the best of all the RCCL ships we've sailed on. Plenty of places to sit while enjoying a drink, big windows to look out. Usually there is some sort of evening musical entertainment. At the back of the ship where the Safari Club is there are chairs and small tables to sit at while looking out the huge windows while enjoying a drink or few.

We love the outside WJ seating...all ships should have an outdoor dining area, IMO! We HATE the enclosed solarium...they say the roof is "retractable", but it's never opened, so you can tan in there, under glass...meaning if you want sun, you'll have to be in the "hubbub" of the main pool area or upper decks.

After 27 cruises on various cruise lines and ships (including the QM2 and all the Radiance class ships) the Jewel is still my favorite. So easy to get from point A to point B without a lot of going up or down a deck, beautiful views from almost everywhere on board and love, love, love the outdoor dining area at the back of the Windjammer.

Davecathy got it right about the Schooner Bar....best place to hang out, day or night. I hated the SB on the Allure....no windows!!! No windows anywhere (almost) on the Allure, for that matter.

Second best place to hang out is the Safari Lounge, and the self-leveling pool tables are pretty cool!

Our favorite ship. 6 cruises on her and 2 booked. Lots of windows so you never forget you are at sea. Tastefully decorated like an old wooden ship. Great service and better food than most of the ships we've been on. Size makes it more personal than the super-sized ships.

Take a look our video from our recent Jewel cruise....hope this helps.

We recently cruised on the Jewel in the Med. All our recent cruises have bee on the Solstice class X ships so we were a little apprehensive but we were doing the cruise for the itinerary. We were pleasantly surprised by the food in the MDR. We ate one night at Giovannis and loved it. The food and service were easily as good as Tuscan Grill if not better. We didn't care for the buffet. Nothing like the choice on Celebrity. We spent very little time there. The shows we saw were comparable and had no trouble getting seated. There was more going on around the pool, belly flop etc. etc. The ship is old but has lots of character, which we like. I totally agree with the comments of previous posters. We loved the Schooner Bar. Did not use the solarium - too hot and too busy. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Take a look our video from our recent Jewel cruise....hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing your video, I was reliving my trip to those islands. I was hoping to get a peek at what the jewel looked like on the inside though, do you have any video of the inside of the ship (other than your room?) People keep saying there's a view of the ocean all over the place, so I'm curious what that looks like from the inside, and I'm curious what the ships without promenades look like on the inside.

Sent from my handheld magic machine using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Thanks for sharing your video, I was reliving my trip to those islands. I was hoping to get a peek at what the jewel looked like on the inside though, do you have any video of the inside of the ship (other than your room?) People keep saying there's a view of the ocean all over the place, so I'm curious what that looks like from the inside, and I'm curious what the ships without promenades look like on the inside.

Sent from my handheld magic machine using Forums

I don't have any of my own video that I shot around the ship, but I found this one on YouTube that should give you a pretty good feel for the ship...

Thanks,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...