Sea Sickness....

ucmino

Do you feel the motion more on a small ship rather than large? What rooms and floors are best for those who suffer from sea sickness. Would also love to hear people's experiences with rough seas, how bad does it really get?

Do you feel the motion more on a small ship rather than large? What rooms and floors are best for those who suffer from sea sickness. Would also love to hear people's experiences with rough seas, how bad does it really get?

Yes, you will absolutely feel motion more on a small ship, compared to a larger ship. They say if you're prone to seasickness, to try and stay as mid-ship as possible. Out of my 5 cruises, I've been lucky with most as far as rough seas. We did hit 30 foot seas one night, as we were very close to a hurricane.. that was bad. Many people got sick, including crew members.

Edited by bbryan5

Chew a Bonine every day and you will never have to find out. We cruise very often and I am prone to seasickness. We have hit some very rough seas, bur with the Bonine I have never been sick,

Yes you will feel it more on a small ship [yet another reason I love small ships].

Mid ship will feel it less than fore and aft.

Some say lower decks are better, however they can also make waves look higher which can be an issue mid deck I think is a better compromise but I know others don't agree with me on that.

Start and medication before you go.

Wifey swears that a green apple in the morning and a cup or two of ginger tea does wonders.

Holy crap on that video! :eek:

I seem to get sea sick very randomly as does my son. We rarely vomit (though I bet I might in that video), but I will often be a bit queasy and not want to eat. I don't worry too much about where my room is located. I DO take Bonine or Dramamine as a precaution. This last cruise I accidently forgot it and found myself down in the medical area grabbing the free packs they put out for you (nice little tip). So I still needed it but it was mild.

You will certainly feel it more at the front or back of the ship and worse the higher you go. Mid ship and low is best as the others have said. I'm not bad enough to worry about it. And I think few people feel sea sick after a day or two unless there's a bad storm.

On this last cruise, we did a small sailboat excursion. I took a Bonine from the ship as a precaution. We had some major rocking! But it didn't bother us in the least. Likely from the medication.

I saw carry Pepto Bismol tablets and I have anti nausea pills (Zofran) from my migraines. I bring them as a back up.

I was on the Grand Princess during a hurricane off the coast of Greenland. Many people were hurt but I wasn't sea sick...just worried about falling. Fast forward to the Caribbean on the Azamara Quest....no storms...I was sea sick for 4 days! No more small ships for me!

As an added thought.....maybe someone can tell me how to stop swaying AFTER the cruise?? I swear I sway for days.

Me too

Never been sea sick.

The sway just reminds me I have been on a cruise.

I think I will limit my next cruise to a only a couple of sea days total. Not that I get sea sick, but after a couple of days of having to hold on because of rough seas can be frustrating, also we had a room that creaked with every wave, made for fun sleeping and some of the waves, my wife had to grab on to me so she would not fall out of the bed

I think I will limit my next cruise to a only a couple of sea days total. Not that I get sea sick, but after a couple of days of having to hold on because of rough seas can be frustrating, also we had a room that creaked with every wave, made for fun sleeping and some of the waves, my wife had to grab on to me so she would not fall out of the bed

I love when DW grabs on to me:D.

If you dont get car sick or air sickness you will be fine. Eat green apples or ginger snaps as a precaution. Ginger ale is also good.

My son gets car sick sometimes, and the doctor said to give him childrens Dramamine on cruises. We discovered the car sickness in 2012 and we cruised in 2013. Pretty rough water the first full day at sea (pools and hot tubs were closed, as well as the thalassotherapy pool in the spa) and yet he was fine.

How bad depends entirely on the weather and itinerary, Cape Horn is the worst I have seen it--kind of fun though... While there are theories on where you should find a room for the least impact, I have been all over and noticed no significant difference. I do seem to benefit by the fresh air offered by a balcony. Ship size does matter a little, in that it seems to take bigger waves to impact big ships.

Electronic sea sickness band, send little shocks to your wrist; kind of helped me most of the time, but the little shocks were very annoying

Dramamine, even the nondrowsy, makes me drowsy; nice thing is that they make a dose that kids can handle if needed

Bonine, works great with no side effects

Acupuncture, I have known people to swear by it, and most spas will guarantee it works for you, so this is an option, but as I need something before the flight, it onl works once you are too the ship.

My son gets car sick sometimes, and the doctor said to give him childrens Dramamine on cruises. We discovered the car sickness in 2012 and we cruised in 2013. Pretty rough water the first full day at sea (pools and hot tubs were closed, as well as the thalassotherapy pool in the spa) and yet he was fine.

I was sort of going by rule of thumb. Good for him not getting sick. My wife gets qweezy reading as a passenger in the car, but is fine in rough sea's go figure. I love to get that rock n roll to sleep. Funny thing is when you want to roll back and the ship leaves you hanging.

You will feel it more on a small ship, BUT NCL does not have any truly small ships and unless the storm is horrible there is little motion on any NCL ship.

If you want motion try something like the Seaborn triplets or Sea Dream, on those you fell the motion in the ocean.

You will feel it more on a small ship, BUT NCL does not have any truly small ships and unless the storm is horrible there is little motion on any NCL ship.

If you want motion try something like the Seaborn triplets or Sea Dream, on those you fell the motion in the ocean.

Love those little ships in rough conditions.

You gotta try Cod fishing. Thirty foot sea's in a sixty foot boat.

Grew up Ocean fishing in a 12 foot boat first time I was about 7 or 8, before that fishing the lake in an 8 foot timber boat and when the Southerly's hit, t could be 4 or 5 foot swells and waves.

I am no expert on ship design, but I think the stability of a ship would depend more on the design of the hull rather than size.

In the past the Transatlantic Liners that were designed with very large hulls, where the part of the ship below the waterline were almost as big as the part above the waterline.

These ships rode the waves much better than modern ships. That is assuming stabalisers aren't used.

However the old liners, because of the depth of those hulls, couldn't enter the shallow waters where modern cruise ships ply their trade.

The result is that modern cruise ships are much flatter than their predecessors. In fact due to their height, they could be said to be top heavy, and that ought to cause more roll.

Advances in technology now means that this is largely negated by the use of stabalisers, which nowadays are far more sophisticated than the old wing type, as they can now be angled, rotated etc.

So to answer the question of whether a large ship is better than a small ship in terms of seasickness, well, yes if they are of a similar age, but there are still many old smaller cruise ships that are very stable.

I know, this is a NCL forum, so the bigger ships are more stable than the smaller ones.

Edited by Trevor Fountain

First of all we need to clear up a misconception. NCL has no small ships. They have some that are smaller than others, but none of them are "small." The Jewel Class, at 93,000 tons, is twice the size of Titanic, for instance. A ship with a large displacement tends to be more stable but bear in mind that the cruise ships tend to be more top heavy than other ships, particularly the latest mega-ships. What dies that mean? It's simple physics. The farther one is from the ship's center of gravity, the more exaggerated the motion will be. Think about how much the end of a see-saw moves compared to the middle. Even a very large ship is going to have motion in a heavy sea. It doesn't matter how big the ship is. The ocean is way bigger, making any ship any ship an insignificant speck in the big scheme of things. There's a lot technology to minimize the motion, such as stabilizers, but even they are only effective up to certain speeds and wave heights. They're not much help in 35-foot seas. It's why the sail plan does everything possible to avoid such weather. If you're really prone to motion sickness, there are a variety of products available that may mitigate the effects. Some might work while others are just a placebo. There are prescription remedies, too. You might want to consult your physician. To minimize the effects of motion, a cabin as close to the ship's center of gravity is best. That's usually going to be a lower deck in the middle of the ship. Keeping the distant horizon in view often helps to minimize the psychological effect of the motion. Many of the same remedies that work for morning sickness, such as saltines, lemon drops, and ginger ale, are said to work for some. One of the most important things is to not dwell on it, otherwise it will become a self fulfilling prophecy.