Lunch on Boarding the Star

kevg1889

Can anyone tell me, is it just the buffet that is open for Lunch on boarding the Star? If anybody has recently disembarked, are there any must see shows? We will be boarding from Venice on the 13th August

Thanks - it's our first cruise with NCL after doing MSC Fantasia & Ventura & Azura with P&O soit will be a new experience. MSC was more Italian/European while P&O are very British but I understand that NCL has a big American influence. I can't wait & I'm really excited about the ports that we are visiting, just wish we got a little longer in each of them.

Just a warning...We planned on having lunch on board when embarking from Venice. This was three years ago on Celebrity. It took us hours to get on board. We did not get on the ship until 3:00 pm. I am not sure if there was a glitch, but everyone was moving very slowly. Take a snack and a beverage. There was no place to buy food at the port. The cruise line put out some lemonade, but that instantly disappeared. I remember it being very warm in the room, also. I have not researched if this was a one-time problem or if Venice just moves slowly.

Just a warning...We planned on having lunch on board when embarking from Venice. This was three years ago on Celebrity. It took us hours to get on board. We did not get on the ship until 3:00 pm. I am not sure if there was a glitch, but everyone was moving very slowly. Take a snack and a beverage. There was no place to buy food at the port. The cruise line put out some lemonade, but that instantly disappeared. I remember it being very warm in the room, also. I have not researched if this was a one-time problem or if Venice just moves slowly.

I've embarked from Venice three times now and the only time there was any delay was when there was a car fire directly outside the terminal so people couldn't get in for about 30 minutes.

Other than that, everything has been fine inside. I've also never heard of any problems being reported on these boards about problems at Venice.

I think your experience was due to some specific issue.

If possible, avoid the buffet on embarkation day.

No "If Possible" but "Avoid the buffet on Embarkation Day".

Hundreds of people all with carry on luggage jostling for seats, room and food!!! It makes a normal lunch day look like a Royal Garden Party!!

Get on as early as possible and go to the MDR that is open (at Noon) and enjoy a leisurely meal served by unhurried wait staff. Those who know go; those who don't trough!!

• 1 month later...

Keep in mind that (in our experience aboard the Jewel, at least) the staff will try to direct you towards the buffet (i.e. "Welcome aboard the Star! Those elevators over there will take you right up to the buffet"). You have to specifically ask if a dining room is open.

Just off the Star last week and the Versailles dining room was open for lunch as soon as we boarded. It was wonderful. Not crowded and food was outstanding - they had scallops au gratin as one of the appetizers. Delish:)

Keep in mind that (in our experience aboard the Jewel, at least) the staff will try to direct you towards the buffet (i.e. "Welcome aboard the Star! Those elevators over there will take you right up to the buffet"). You have to specifically ask if a dining room is open.

Absolutely true, unfortunately the crew try very hard to herd as many as they can to the buffet, they must get paid by the numbers. If you can board before 2:00 or so the main dining room is open where you can enjoy a nice relaxed civilized lunch, it may take a little longer but for us that is when our cruise starts. After lunch the cabins should be ready, if not go book some specialty restaurants for dinner (if not done already) and enjoy another cocktail before organizing the cabin and attending the lifeboat drill. If you have kids do what you have to do.

• 1 month later...

KNOW WHERE TO GO right-a-way when boarding - - - (The STAR and the DAWN)

Boarding is usually on the Promenade Deck #7 *** near the center elevators (glass ones overlooking the atrium)

The MDR Main Dining Room is one deck (6) below - instead of elevators up to deck 11 (pool deck) for the Buffet

Go down 1 deck either by elevator or stairs to the open MDR.

For O'Sheehan's go up one deck (8)

The Topsiders Grill is also on the pool deck 11 just forward of the Buffet.

The Restaurant Reservation Desk is adjacent to Guest Services in the Promenade Deck Atrium (7) for making

future reservations at all the dining venues requiring reservations - see the line - join the que.

All the specialty restaurants will be closed - exception for suite passengers - Cagney's or Moderno by invitation.

The main distressing problem with mass boarding and your cabin/stateroom not being ready for occupancy is

what to do with your carry on luggage. Well you haul it around with you till your room is available. For grabbing

lunch on boarding if with someone park the luggage reserving seats and the person watching goes to lunch

after the other half returns. Carrying toting your luggage thru the buffet lines is not the best juggling act which

should be left for stage performers at the show.

Really best to consider the MDR as there is loads of room and your party can dine all together instead of in shifts

No more secrets or directions - you are on your own - I'll take the low road and will finish lunch before you ! LOL !

OK one more hint/clue - for UBP beverages O'Sheehan's and Topsiders has a bar close by to get the voyage

going.

The MDR may have a beverage waiter.

But beware in some ports the taxes and gratuities kick in before the first sip !